What's new

Gillette Guard?

I would like to try out the Gillette Guard single-blade disposable cartridge razor with a safety comb (India). Any remarks?

I read it’s cheap and doesn’t clog easily.

Thanks in advance!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think the pivot is why the head comes off. I don't think its a replacement situation. Minor point the head pops off if you drop it.

I have the razors as well as the cartridges. The fitting of the cartridge on the head can be a little finicky if not properly seated.

I think the pivot is why the head comes off. I don't think its a replacement situation. Minor point the head pops off if you drop it.
I believe it might quite flimsy because it’s so cheap. I just love the model, it’s pretty unique for a disposable razor. I read good reviews about it not getting clogged, and also I love the open comb.

I have the razors as well as the cartridges. The fitting of the cartridge on the head can be a little finicky if not properly seated.
I am going to purchase a few from Maggard probably. I love the curvature of the cartridge, looks interesting! But I saw purchasing this is on EBay from India for a few more dollars gets you a much bigger stock, so I might do that instead.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I believe it might quite flimsy because it’s so cheap. I just love the model, it’s pretty unique for a disposable razor. I read good reviews about it not getting clogged, and also I love the open comb.
i dont think it gets clogged easily i use it primarily to shave the back of my neck. the handle has a nice grip unless i drop it. :)

i dont think it gets clogged easily i use it primarily to shave the back of my neck. the handle has a nice grip unless i drop it. :)
That’s great to hear, I’m excited to use it. I like regular disposable single or twin blade razors, but they clog so easily and the without the pivot it really isn’t the smoothest shave.

It is impossible to clog. It is OC with a large gap between guard and blade. As long as you follow the normal rules of shaving - light touch, be aware of the angle, etc, it is an extremely smooth shaver. I use it when I travel and the last time I was gone for two weeks and used it daily and didn't change the cartridge. Of course the best part is that it goes through TSA without anyone noticing anything.

It is impossible to clog. It is OC with a large gap between guard and blade. As long as you follow the normal rules of shaving - light touch, be aware of the angle, etc, it is an extremely smooth shaver. I use it when I travel and the last time I was gone for two weeks and used it daily and didn't change the cartridge. Of course the best part is that it goes through TSA without anyone noticing anything.
I am excited to use it on a semi regular basis when I don’t have time for a DE shave.

I have a Guard and have used it while traveling. It's ok. I like that it is a single blade. 5 is completely overkill. My only real complaints about it is how light it is. And don't expect to be able to get a BBS shave from it. That's not what it excels at. It excels at giving a comfortable smooth acceptable shave with little if any irritation and it's cheap. I think I prefer my Mach 3 on a Edwin Jagger handle as it gives it some heft and feels nice in my hand. But the Guard can stand on it's own.

I have a Guard and have used it while traveling. It's ok. I like that it is a single blade. 5 is completely overkill. My only real complaints about it is how light it is. And don't expect to be able to get a BBS shave from it. That's not what it excels at. It excels at giving a comfortable smooth acceptable shave with little if any irritation and it's cheap. I think I prefer my Mach 3 on a Edwin Jagger handle as it gives it some heft and feels nice in my hand. But the Guard can stand on it's own.
I don’t mind cartridge/disposable razors. However the 5-7 blade range is a good shave, but not smooth or enjoyable. I get a lot of tugging at the chin and neck areas where beard is coarse.

I was shocked by how good it is. The Gillette Guard is great for people like me who want a decent, quick shave with a single blade. Not quite BBS smooth, but more than close enough if you have sensitive skin. It is very light and feels insubstantial in the hand but it just works! I was intrigued by it and finally bit the bullet about two months ago. Very impressed with it and I have tried literally dozens of blades/razors over the years. Buy direct from India in bulk for the best prices!

I was shocked by how good it is. The Gillette Guard is great for people like me who want a decent, quick shave with a single blade. Not quite BBS smooth, but more than close enough if you have sensitive skin. It is very light and feels insubstantial in the hand but it just works! I was intrigued by it and finally bit the bullet about two months ago. Very impressed with it and I have tried literally dozens of blades/razors over the years. Buy direct from India in bulk for the best prices!
Where are you buying in bulk from India? Ebay? Thanks.

Where are you buying in bulk from India? Ebay? Thanks.

Yes. I have had good experiences using eBay to bulk buy shaving supplies. Some great deals and I like the extra level of reassurance because you can check the sellers’ reputations first. Delivery time to the UK is usually not too bad - not sure about delivery times to other countries.

I usually order Gillette guard carts in bulk on Amazon which also come from India and they usually take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to arrive in the US. I also like to throw a few packs on any order from maggard, wcs, ib, etc to tip the edge to free shipping.

Two main things that I like: As a test, I didn't shave for eight days, and got a wonderful shave with the Guard with no trimming beforehand. No clogging! When I got it, I bought a few packages with the handle as back ups, more than two years in.., same handle!

Super overrated unless you only have five cents to spend on a cartridge and a teaspoon of water to rinse it in.

Super overrated unless you only have five cents to spend on a cartridge and a teaspoon of water to rinse it in.
I’m amazed at how cheap it is! Plus since it’s only a one blade razor, I definitely want to give it a try.

Top Bottom