What's new

Gillette Guard

It is a bit like an open comb design. I knocked down a good 5 or so days of growth with it the other day since I was in a hurry to get out the door and I can shave way faster with that than I can a straight, and it handled that without any issue. As was said, shorter passes, rinse often.. I did my usual and fully lathered up a second time to really finish it off, but I was socially acceptable shaved after the first one.

I used the Guard for years that way, the way Indians often do for whom this razor was designed, shaving only a few times a week. It's actually better than any other cartridge for that, or even a DE. Very easy to clean off, doesn't clog, etc. I'd shave on Sundays for church and have a few days growth, and it was ideal.

The Guard is a DOC type razor, like Razorock's SLOC, but in a pivoting cartridge format. I've used it on three day old stubble without any problems. I suspect it can handle up to a week of growth.
One reviewer used one for 130 shaves.

Member from India here. Found out about the guard from B&B a few years ago but had no luck getting one here locally. Finally picked one up about 6 months ago and I’ve been very impressed. A cartridge lasts me about a month ( I shave every other day) or 13-15 shaves.

If the Guard had been available two or three decades ago, I might never have needed to get into DE shaving.

Many people have said the same thing. It's been spoken of how Gillette tries to keep this system a secret outside of the Indian market due to fear of it killing sales of the mach 3, fusion, and now skinguard lines however most of those customers will remain loyal to those products (or types of products if they switch to a competitor such as Schick or Harry's) so really all it would do is to help combat sales of products that are combating sales of the above product lines. Enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of scenario except the enemy is actually your long lost cousin from overseas lol.

After all the reviews i went and bought the safeguard. Used it twice and not happy with it, doesn't cut as close as my 5 blade pro guide.

Tried a Guard for the first time this morning. Unexpectedly good - really good.

Using my knowledge of my grain and some judicious skin stretching, I was able to shave very closely with no irritation. I even went fully ATG on my neck which is usually asking for trouble.

I picked it up to try for an upcoming trip, but now I think I might buy a few more.

I can 100% see why Gillette doesn’t sell this in more affluent countries. For 23 rupees you get a razor that outperforms something priced about 40 times higher elsewhere.

Second shave with the Guard today. Now that I’m a bit more used to how it works, I got one of the best shaves I’ve ever had, period. I never imagined a cart razor could be this good.

Unlike so many members of B&B, I never found much inherent allure in mastering the technical skill of shaving. I only ever wanted the closest and least irritating daily shave I could get.

That desire certainly lead me to develop my technical skills - grain mapping, pressure, lathering, prep etc. I wonder if I would find the Guard as good as I do without having developed my abilities on other, less forgiving razors.

As it is, though, the Guard is storming towards the front of the pack as a contender for my new daily driver.

I haven't shaved with mine in a while, but if I remember correctly the last couple of carts I used were a little rough. I have a fairly large stash, so might have just gotten a couple that were off. Maybe I'll break one out tomorrow and give it a go.

I think this razor is pinnacle of a simple yet clever engineering. To me it also serves a reminder how utterly over hyped the 3-4-5 blade systems are.
It does get the job done but not really equal to a proper DE shave for me. TBH a medium DFS is max I can get out of this razor.
On a plus side, it works like an absolute idiot proof razor and I find it impossible to slit my throat even if I try hard at those 4.30 AM shaves.
Those wanting a heavy handle on this system can pretty much make it as heavy to your liking. Couple of small nuts/bolts and industrial glue poured over the hollow of handle does the trick. You can can leave the small cutaway open to hang it on a nail. a really handy feature if someone is living on rench or outback!
I get 4-5 shaves from a fresh cartridge. Never noticed the blister pack of cartridge not performing as good as the one that came with handle.

Just got my sixth and final shave off my first guard cart.

I hate saying BBS, but as that’s the shorthand here - that’s what I got from the Guard as a matter of routine.

Thanks to its single blade, it even does slant shaving well. Hold it at 45 degrees to your stroke direction, tilt the handle so that you’re favouring the top of the cart a bit... big increase in firepower.

I think I found my new daily driver.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I pushed one to 13 shaves I think it was, but 10 is a good stopping point for me. I like the slant stroke / Gillette Glide. I do it with most of my razors. It makes the razor cut more like a slant style razor.

The Guard is a decent cartridge single blade razor that provides a reasonable shave. Not BBS. Not even sure it's a DFS. I have used a Mach 3 for decades before double edges. I was curious so I bought one online. But I think I like the shave I get from my Mach 3 better. The Mach 3 provides me with a closer shave if following the same routine of WTG, XTG, ATG, touch up. I may not have as much irritation from the Guard but I also don't end up with anywhere near as close a shave. I'm sure I'll use it on occasion if for no other reason than to mix things up.

I really like the Gillette Guard but I can’t get over the idea that I’m shaving with a carrot pealer. It is my travel razor when I only go with carry on luggage since DE blades are not allowed.

Ive used these a few years ago.

Actually going to order some now because they were so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom