What's new

Gillette Guard

Many people have said the same thing. It's been spoken of how Gillette tries to keep this system a secret outside of the Indian market due to fear of it killing sales of the mach 3, fusion, and now skinguard lines however most of those customers will remain loyal to those products (or types of products if they switch to a competitor such as Schick or Harry's) so really all it would do is to help combat sales of products that are combating sales of the above product lines. Enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of scenario except the enemy is actually your long lost cousin from overseas lol.

The Skinguard actually looks like a decent razor but I don't understand why they opted for a second blade. If the first blade doesn't cut the hair, why would the second blade?

I may revert back to using my Gillette Guard as my primary razor because they just work so well, especially on sensitive skin. It's perfectly adequate for somebody that is retired or doesn't have a job where a perfectly close shave is required.

The Skinguard actually looks like a decent razor but I don't understand why they opted for a second blade. If the first blade doesn't cut the hair, why would the second blade?

I may revert back to using my Gillette Guard as my primary razor because they just work so well, especially on sensitive skin. It's perfectly adequate for somebody that is retired or doesn't have a job where a perfectly close shave is required.

I firmly believe it is because the 'typical modern american male' who buys the newest razor they see on a commerical because it's "probably best" and uses it once or twice a week simply to follow their work standards associate single blade razors with either the bic sensitive disposables (not saying anything bad about those or comparing them to the guard, just an example) or old school safety razors both of which ignorantly have the assumption of being 'dangerous'.

I guarantee if they made it a single blade razor it at minimum would sell significantly less if not be a full on flop... Except for a few guys on some shaving forum online ;)

The exact type of shave and scenario you are in is why I almost exclusively use my Philips Norelco oneblade. I use cream and brush to face lather the jump straight into ATG. Not cuts, no ingrowns, no irritation, and as close to bbs as I can get without actually being bbs.

I was reluctant to even try the Guard, but read here some good reports.
So I saw at Target the Gillette Treo, some horrible thing that has the same head but the handle is a tube of shave cream. I tried it and was HORRIBLE... but I did not give up, bought a real Guard (with handle and used the same head I had failed); it has 10+ shaves and it's very good!!! I have since bought more Guard razors.

I also use the Skinguard sometimes, but that one is a bit expensive; I do get 15+ shaves w it. And was lucky to find some on clearance at Target....I took all of them.

After all the reviews i went and bought the safeguard. Used it twice and not happy with it, doesn't cut as close as my 5 blade pro guide.

I actually bought the Skinguard. No wonder I wasn't that happy with it.

My country doesn't stock the actual Gillette Guard.

Where would the best place to buy it online please ?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would check out eBay. I was going to get some not that long ago. Look for a seller that does free shipping. You will pay GST on the purchase and not the postage. If you buy one off eBay with postage you will pay GST on the purchase and the postage.

I would check out eBay. I was going to get some not that long ago. Look for a seller that does free shipping. You will pay GST on the purchase and not the postage. If you buy one off eBay with postage you will pay GST on the purchase and the postage.

Thanks for that. Not sure I understood what you meant about the GST part ? Is it better to have expensive postage if you pay GST for the purchase and not the postage ?

Saw this for 3.75 US

Thought this might have been an error on the price ? 12 for 350 indian rupies. bad feedback on sellers though...works out to $7AUD

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Government changed the rules here in Australia on payment of the Goods and Services Tax. We could buy stuff from overseas and we paid no GST on Items that cost under $1,000. Now when you buy items from overseas you are supposed to pay GST on items under $1,000. eBay charges and collects the GST for the government. eBay will charge you 10% GST on the purchase price and then 10% GST on the postage as it is considered to be a Service. If I am looking at buying something from eBay from overseas I try to find a seller who offers free postage.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Hey can I ask you how many shaves you get out of the Skin Guard? Think I saw you said 10-13 for the Guard.
I get 10 great 2 pass (wtg,atg) shaves. I've stretched them a bit longer. There is a thread in here where I wanted to see how many I could get. I hand stropped it after 11 shaves I think as that was the first one I noticed a bit of tugging on. I made a few more, but decided 10 a good number of shaves without any extra blade saving/reviving effort.

I'm trying a go at Excaliburing some DE and SE blades at the moment. Were I in the same mindset then, I'd probably have keep going on the Guard to see how many I could get before it would refuse to shave or try to make hamburger of me.

If you buy them in quantity, the Guard are as cheap as DE shaving when you figure it as a cost per shave. Buy a small quantity of them and then if you like them, Amazon sells a 100 pack for $26. (or at least they did a few months ago)

Maybe so. But I've read lots of reviews that are identical to mine. YMMV.

I can get a BBS (and a BBB* which is how I usually use it) with the Guard, pretty easily too, you can occasionally get duff batches of blades maybe you were just unlucky.

It's in my experience a far far better razor than the Mach 3, less skin irritation, less clogging, much more like a DE experience and far cheaper obviously.

*Baby Butt Balls :D

Also why are we talking about the SkinGuard in here, it's just the latest iteration of Gillette's ****ty multiblade razors and sales tactics, nothing like the quality of the Guard at all.

I find the Gillette products in India to be great stuff, just had a shave with my Gillette Guard and the Gillette "Regular" Shaving cream that comes in a tube, effortless shave

I just tried the BIC “metal” disposable single blade cart, thinking it might be like the Guard but better because, you know, metal! Nope. The BIC is good for one smooth shave, but then it is like dragging a multiblade cart across my face. I give up after 3 days. I should have known, since BIC DE blades are not smooth for me; I prefer Gillette Silver Blues, Platinums and 7 9’clock blacks. The Guard is smooth & close for 7 shaves, 10 in a pinch.
I didn’t look close enough to realize the Guard was an open comb. It makes me wonder if I would like an open comb vintage Tech for when I am not traveling.

I’ve used both the BIC metal and Gillette Guard. Both are great for my course dense fast growing beard. The BIC Metal is more like a disposable injector with a very sharp blade and a decent gap between the blade and guard. It plows through even several days growth very smoothly- but requires similar attention to pressure and angle as an injector. It will give you a DFS with one pass and bbs with 2or 3. The Gillette guard is milder with less attention to pressure. And the pivot head makes maneuvering easy. The shave is a bit less close than with the bic. But it is also millder and less prone to weepers. I have used both for a midweek quick shave with minimal prep and as my travel razors with several days growth. They both work very well for these purposes. I usually take both with me when I travel and use depending on my mood, do I want or need something more aggressive or feel like something milder with less focus. Basically just like at home I different set ups for different circumstances.

This razor has been on my radar for a long time but I just couldn't pull the trigger on what I thought was the exorbitant cost stateside. Per this thread I checked out the ebay vendors and have a Guard coming (I hope) from India.

Here is my preemptive question. Based on my experience with disposables, I predict that my least favorite thing about the Guard will be the light plastic handle. Have any of you Guard fans come up with a way to add some heft?

This razor has been on my radar for a long time but I just couldn't pull the trigger on what I thought was the exorbitant cost stateside. Per this thread I checked out the ebay vendors and have a Guard coming (I hope) from India.

Here is my preemptive question. Based on my experience with disposables, I predict that my least favorite thing about the Guard will be the light plastic handle. Have any of you Guard fans come up with a way to add some heft?

You can buy these from Maggard’s or get a pack of cartridges from EBay. You only need one or two handles. Some people have suggested gluing a metal rod or bolt into the hollow of the handle. I enjoy the razor as is. The heads last about a week for me. Enjoy!

Reactions: tm3
I also use the razor as-is; once you get used to the light weight, it works just fine. Maggard Razors is my go-to supplier. I get anywhere from 7-14 shaves per cart, so the value proposition is pretty darn good. I recommend keeping one or two handles around for backup purposes in case you break one or it just starts getting finicky about keeping the cartridges mounted securely (rare, but it has happened to me in the past).

Top Bottom