What's new

Gillette GSB, Astra SP, Persona Platinum.

How do people rate the above blades, I have been using Astra for a few years and get 14 shaves out of each blade but decided to try the GSB and Persona, upon trying GSB I was surprised how this to me was better than the Astra, smoother and sharper but on the 10th day got some weepers around my chin so tossed it and tried the persona and it did not feel has smooth as the GSB and seemed to tug a bit but maybe it is just a sharper blade, I know a lot has to do with technic, beard, blade and soap but have been reading and it seems the consensus is between 4-7 days that most guys change their blades. I have more work to do but was wondering what guys seem to prefer. I will toss my blades after one week and see what works best. Thanks for reading.

All three of those blades are at the top of my list. Of course YMMV. I get 10 shaves from the Personna lab blues and the Gillette SBs. I get at least 7 shaves from the Astra SPs. I get smooth and close shaves from all three. I’ll get a weeper or two with operator error.

I generally get 14 or 15 shaves from the GSBs and Personna Reds. It’s been long enough since I used the Astras that I’m not sure what I get out of them.

How do people rate the above blades, I have been using Astra for a few years and get 14 shaves out of each blade but decided to try the GSB and Persona, upon trying GSB I was surprised how this to me was better than the Astra, smoother and sharper but on the 10th day got some weepers around my chin so tossed it and tried the persona and it did not feel has smooth as the GSB and seemed to tug a bit but maybe it is just a sharper blade, I know a lot has to do with technic, beard, blade and soap but have been reading and it seems the consensus is between 4-7 days that most guys change their blades. I have more work to do but was wondering what guys seem to prefer. I will toss my blades after one week and see what works best. Thanks for reading.
I agree with your assessment of these blades; it matches my experience. That said, I do prefer the Personna (Accutec US) Lab Blue blades to the Personna Platinums, and the Lab Blue is my favorite blade.

GSB: +
Astra SP: meh
Personna (red): ok, but there are many blades I like better.

Astra SS: one of my favorites.
Also Gillette 7oc yellow or green(stainless) are great for me, even above GSB.

You should just decide this for yourself since you have all of them already. For me though, my ranking would be:
#1 - GSB
#2 - Personna Platinum (Made in Israel - out of production but maybe still available from some places)
#3 - Astra SP
#4 - Personna Platinum (made in Germany - current production)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find all three pretty close at first, but with time the Gillette Silver Blue stays sharp longer. Lately two weeks has been about my max. I used to get a month, but I must be getting more picky in my old age. Another blade I find quite similar is Crystal.

Definitely a fan of GSB, decided to throw in Gillette 7 Oclock SS and Voskhod teflon coated into mix, will get them in a week or two, I'm thinking smooth is the operative word for me.

GSB has worked really well for me in all the razors I ever owned. Feather (to me) is a bit sharper but not as smooth during the first few shaves. Have not used an Astra since maybe 2015.

Still have two tucks of Personna Crystal. Haven't used one in ages so I loaded one in my old reliable Tech for today's shave. Smooth but not as sharp as I'd like. Not quite DFS.

Top Bottom