What's new

Gillette Goodwill won on the Bay

B016671D-0830-4354-8C3B-536844AFB45F.jpeg
11435875-7501-4775-8838-CFBED468255D.jpeg
2299D7C5-59EB-4DB9-A77A-6477074F576F.jpeg
I just received a Goodwill I won off the Bay a few days ago. I think it’s a 160. It’s interesting that the cap has a copper hue.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Cool looking item! My gillette New has the same reddish cap. I believe it is called "red brass". Very 1930's!

I am not sure the difference between the Goodwill and the Old Type. I think the design is similar, but the Goodwill era was when they were trying to make the razor non-compatible with 3rd party blades. I guess they quickly found a way around that with the modern DE blade.

Let us know how it shaves! I for one, am curious.

Hannah's Dad

Thanks, @Hannah's Dad, it was actually your posts on the #160 that nudged me to get one. I think I’ll take it for a spin later today.
Awesome! I hope I didn’t steer you in the wrong direction. Please let us know how you like it. Astra SPs and Polsilvers make good partners with the Goodwill, IMHO.

Hannah's Dad

Mine looks just like yours — though I intentionally polished the gold off of my cap — I really love the two-toned red and yellow brass combination.

Attachments

• 996FBE9E-6F88-4D22-BDE4-BC12D19298FB.jpeg
    996FBE9E-6F88-4D22-BDE4-BC12D19298FB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Mine looks just like yours — though I intentionally polished the gold off of my cap — I really love the two-toned red and yellow brass combination

I like the two-toned look as well. I’m going to try it with an Astra a little later and report back.

Cool looking item! My gillette New has the same reddish cap. I believe it is called "red brass". Very 1930's!

I am not sure the difference between the Goodwill and the Old Type. I think the design is similar, but the Goodwill era was when they were trying to make the razor non-compatible with 3rd party blades. I guess they quickly found a way around that with the modern DE blade.

Let us know how it shaves! I for one, am curious.

If you are looking for one more like the Old Type, look for a 162 or 164. They shave extremely well, and are a “hair” less aggressive.

The 160, 170, & 175 are more like the NEW, Long Comb, just subtle differences with the base plate.

The handle was taken from an early NEW razor. I guess the original handle cracked at some point and was replaced.
Technically the same handle.

Hannah's Dad

The handle was taken from an early NEW razor. I guess the original handle cracked at some point and was replaced.
Technically the same handle.
What makes you think this is a replacement handle, Andon? It looks just like mine, and my Goodwill came sealed in a box.

The smaller shoulder on the ferrule tends to be the easiest tell. The ferrules on the 160’s were also too big for the barrels, resulting in the typical split.

Congrats! It is a #160; the gold wash on these was very light and easily removed, and the red brass cap reflects that. It’s not copper — just red brass devoid of the original gold plating. It’s a marvelous shaver!
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc (5-40% Zn). Not sure but I think the red color means a greater percentage of copper than usually seen in brass.

I am wondering why the cap seems to be different brass makeup than the handles? When handles lose the gold wash they look more brassy than copperish.

346604FA-5BC9-47EC-B544-CA758413BC54.jpeg

Wow! What a nice shaver. Two and a half passes for a DFS, bordering on BBS. Extremely smooth, but efficient. Not quite as efficient as my MK1 FaTip Grande, but that one is a bit much to use everyday. I could see how this could be a daily driver. I’ll need some more time with it to see how it stacks up against my other razors, but my first impression is very positive. Gillette knew what they were doing with these razors.

Hannah's Dad

View attachment 938271

Wow! What a nice shaver. Two and a half passes for a DFS, bordering on BBS. Extremely smooth, but efficient. Not quite as efficient as my MK1 FaTip Grande, but that one is a bit much to use everyday. I could see how this could be a daily driver. I’ll need some more time with it to see how it stacks up against my other razors, but my first impression is very positive. Gillette knew what they were doing with these razors.
:a14:

Mine looks just like yours — though I intentionally polished the gold off of my cap — I really love the two-toned red and yellow brass combination.

How did you get your top cap to shine like that? I have one I got in a lot and have only cleaned and sanitized it so far. was thinking of using Maas, didn't know you could get that kind of shine. Looks great.

Top Bottom