What's new

Gillette Goodwill models

A unique one I managed to be lucky enough to acquire. Won’t be surprised if the original owner says hello.

View attachment 1622749
looks like nothing special so far.
View attachment 1622750

An “Art deco” style design on a USA goodwill based on the New LC design instead of the more common old type. Have never seen it before and only found a few other photos with some digging. In amazing shape though. Excited to have it.

View attachment 1622751
Oh it's this
proxy.php

It seems to be the standard Goodwill and some had this endcap pattern.

Unsure what the ratio of production to the basic end cap was. From the box it does not appear a special edition.

Maybe the 'patterened' Goodwills were used more and held on to by owners, so fewer have survived?

A lovely piece!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Oh it's this
proxy.php

It seems to be the standard Goodwill and some had this endcap pattern.

Unsure what the ratio of production to the basic end cap was. From the box it does not appear a special edition.

Maybe the 'patterened' Goodwills were used more and held on to by owners, so fewer have survived?

A lovely piece!
This one is an ‘old type’ - a different shave than the Goodwill New LC.

A unique one I managed to be lucky enough to acquire. Won’t be surprised if the original owner says hello.

View attachment 1622749
looks like nothing special so far.
View attachment 1622750

An “Art deco” style design on a USA goodwill based on the New LC design instead of the more common old type. Have never seen it before and only found a few other photos with some digging. In amazing shape though. Excited to have it.

View attachment 1622751

Isn't that just a #160 plate with a #162 top cap? I don't have a #162 to test this with my #160, but from the pictures I find, the top cap seems to be the same.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 08-55-15 164 goodwill razor – Google Търсене.png

Isn't that just a #160 plate with a #162 top cap? I don't have a #162 to test this with my #160, but from the pictures I find, the top cap seems to be the same.

View attachment 1622810
Kind of actually wondered that. The only thing throwing me off is the plating being the same. It’s really uniformly aged and in good condition. Almost wonder if the caps were leftovers that just happened to “fit” so to speak.

Kind of actually wondered that. The only thing throwing me off is the plating being the same. It’s really uniformly aged and in good condition. Almost wonder if the caps were leftovers that just happened to “fit” so to speak.

Anything is possible with Gillette and it could indeed be a rare find, but it might as well be a mismatch. I wonder how it shaves though and if it's a good match. That's enough reason for me to look around and try to find a #162, even though I think they are not as common as the #164. I find #164 all the time, but I don't want to spend too much.

They were free. And they did use spare parts. Could easily have been someone back in the day liked the shave of the long comb but liked the art deco of the #162 and started the first frankenrazor.

Or Gillette slapped it together not caring other then get rid of the old parts and it's going out free anyway who cares if they were meant to be together.

I checked, the #160 is slightly wider so the top cap on a #162 leaves a slight overhang on the bottom plate. It does fit nice other than that.
Cap is flush on the left side of the #160 pictured on the left.

20230318_091914.jpg

Also the pins are taller and more defined with sharper edges on the #162 and the #164. Left to right #162, #160, #164.

20230318_092438.jpg

20230318_092503.jpg

Still a very cool razor, real sharp looking. Hopefully it shaves as nice as it looks.

I checked, the #160 is slightly wider so the top cap on a #162 leaves a slight overhang on the bottom plate. It does fit nice other than that.
Cap is flush on the left side of the #160 pictured on the left.

View attachment 1622918

Also the pins are taller and more defined with sharper edges on the #162 and the #164. Left to right #162, #160, #164.

View attachment 1622926

View attachment 1622927

Still a very cool razor, real sharp looking. Hopefully it shaves as nice as it looks.
That confirms it, a mismatch but one that does appear to be done during that period based on the wear (or lack thereof). Did a light run in the ultrasonic to see what comes of it and see how much the wear matches. Someone did this right when the New came out and liked it better (but liked the art deco look) or it was done at Gillette.

This has the most intact original gold plate that I’ve seen. I’ve been debating doing nickel for my other goodwill but may go with gold.

Ah yes, my friends, the vintage Gillette's. So enticing, you see the pricing, knowing the type of shaves that can be provided, how old they are (and effiective which is also sweet) the soft spot I have for them, the way they just pull you back in. This another one on my list of razors to get down the road.

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - #160 Goodwill and RazoRock Barber Pole handle w/ Astra SP
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Fine Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Goodwill greatness. The goodwill series are interesting. Free razors with parts repurposed. First time with the #160 using the NEW long comb baseplate. The top cap is not the same. This did make the shave feel familiar to the NEW LC but different. Like it was easy to lose the blade and I even clogged it up again. I needed to rinse more often like with the LC. To me the #160 did seem slightly more aggressive then the standard LC. Kinda like with the #164 feels very similar to the thin cap Old types but slightly more aggressive.

The #160 centers the blade better then the #164. With the #164 I have to watch to make sure it's centered as I tighten down the handle. Otherwise I think I like the #164 shave a little better. #164 is a little more aggressive feeling but I don't loose the blade and I can get under the nose much easier. Both are efficient and provides a great shave.

With the #164 I have to watch to make sure it's centered as I tighten down the handle. Otherwise I think I like the #164 shave a little better.
I find the same issue with my 164 but do enjoy the shave. I also find it to shave the same as my ball end old type from the late 1920s.

Top Bottom