What's new

Gillette Gold Tech

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
That looks like a piece of the protective lacquer coming off.

Or I shutter the thought, that this was simply painted with gold paint. I don't think a gold plating job should be pealing like that. But then again, I am certainly not a gold expert. But something about this dog just don't hunt! 😲

The plating on this razor is already starting to come off. This loss of finish wasn't there before I used the razor yesterday. I didn't polish or even rub it. All I did was clean it under warm tap water after I shaved yesterday. I hope this doesn't start happening. I don't buy old razors just to collect, I use them. Oh well, whatever happens, happens.
It may just be a layer of laquer on it wearing through.

edit
oh good @nemo beat me to it. The base plate on my Gillette NEW started to look like a hot mess despite the gold still being in tact. It's character haha. I mean, you use it or you keep it pristine. If I would have known how much I like using my gold plated fat handle I wouldn't have went NOS, but hey, at least the wear is mine :)

You have a beautiful razor and a great shaver. Great find! If you decide to have it re-plated, I recommend Back Roads Gold. Chris brought my 1948 gold Aristocrat back to "new" condition (24 carat gold plating) and it was worth every penny.

I have a beautiful prewar gold Tech, like yours but w triangular slots. Cost me $8. Nice to look at but it doesn’t shave as well as my postwar ball-handle, which is the opposite of what most folks experience. Go figure.

Top Bottom