What's new

Gillette Gold Tech

Hello guys, I haven't posted in quite a while. I hope all is well. I haven't bought any razors or experimented with new blades in over a year, I've just been enjoying and shaving with my modest fleet of razors and supply of various blades. This weekend I was at an antique mall and found this Gillette Gold Tech razor and snatched it up for $20. I don't know if that is a good deal or not. I'm unfamiliar with these razors and my first thought was it must have been some really vintage, high end DE based on it's gold plating, come to find out it was not necessarily from the 40's and not high end. But it sure is pretty. And it's my first DE with that is not a TTO. I can find no date codes anywhere on it and I've been over it three times with my magnifying glass. The case if pretty weathered but the razor is in very good condition. I have yet to shave with it. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this. Any thoughts or opinions on these razors?

Thanks,
Cliff
Seattle

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    991 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    887.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    684.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    903.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    773.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    937.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
I've been picking up a few Tech's lately, too. And, from what I've been reading, oval slots =1946+, no date code would =1950+. If I had to guess yours is from 1946-1949.

Here's a another link for more pictures showing the various versions. https://www.mr-razor.com/ebay/1938-1966 Tech Evolution klein.jpg

From what I've read folklore has it that Techs give a mild shave. I've found mine are easy to get the shave angle right due to good audible feedback.

I'm heading over to an antique mall today where a vendor has one like yours, without the case. He wants $29.

The earlier model Techs didn't have date codes. They started I believe in 1951. The oval slots marks that razor as after 1945. So, that would narrow the date range to 1946-1950, inclusive.

My 1957 Tech is a similar design, but with the ball-end handle. It has a "C4" date code. My other Tech has the triangle shaped slots, marking it as no later than 1945. They are good razors, all-brass. The shave is mild & comfortable, but you can get close with a sharp blade such as Feather and some practice.

I just had my first shave with this thing. I used a new Feather blade and did a quick up & down with regular barbasol. It gave me a shave very close to what my 1950's Superspeeds do, so I'm happy. I usually open the doors on my TTO razors and place it on my bathroom window sill so it can air dry with the open window, so this one won't be quite as simple, but that's fine.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I love the cases printed with "Gold Tech" @salish

I've got a 1940 in tweed, it's printed on the front, not inside, though.

Very nice, Cliff!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello guys, I haven't posted in quite a while. I hope all is well. I haven't bought any razors or experimented with new blades in over a year, I've just been enjoying and shaving with my modest fleet of razors and supply of various blades. This weekend I was at an antique mall and found this Gillette Gold Tech razor and snatched it up for $20. I don't know if that is a good deal or not. I'm unfamiliar with these razors and my first thought was it must have been some really vintage, high end DE based on it's gold plating, come to find out it was not necessarily from the 40's and not high end. But it sure is pretty. And it's my first DE with that is not a TTO. I can find no date codes anywhere on it and I've been over it three times with my magnifying glass. The case if pretty weathered but the razor is in very good condition. I have yet to shave with it. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this. Any thoughts or opinions on these razors?

Thanks,
Cliff
Seattle

Pretty razor! Looks like it is in need of a polish job though. Hopefully it will shine up like a new razor! Congrats.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Polish a vintage gold wash Gillette and there goes all the plating. :mad2:

Looks good in the shape it's in, I'm hoping the patinaed gold doesn't get rubbed off and ruined as have so many others!
Yes. There is not any extra gold on a razor. You can take the gold off with your fingernail.

The plating on this razor is already starting to come off. This loss of finish wasn't there before I used the razor yesterday. I didn't polish or even rub it. All I did was clean it under warm tap water after I shaved yesterday. I hope this doesn't start happening. I don't buy old razors just to collect, I use them. Oh well, whatever happens, happens.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    847.3 KB · Views: 43

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The plating on this razor is already starting to come off. This loss of finish wasn't there before I used the razor yesterday. I didn't polish or even rub it. All I did was clean it under warm tap water after I shaved yesterday. I hope this doesn't start happening. I don't buy old razors just to collect, I use them. Oh well, whatever happens, happens.
It will still be a phenomenal shaver. I've got some ugly ones that are just great shavers.

Top Bottom