What's new

gillette gold plated

Certain models were plated thicker than others. The low priced Techs had a fairly thin coating, as did the post-WWI era Old Types. The New Improved razors and certain high end Old Types such as the Bulldog had thicker plating from what I understand.

Certain models were plated thicker than others. The low priced Techs had a fairly thin coating, as did the post-WWI era Old Types. The New Improved razors and certain high end Old Types such as the Bulldog had thicker plating from what I understand.

Well the gold on the 50s Aristocrats and the Toggle must be like 1 atom thick.

the plating on my bulldog sucks. its like tin foil.

Wasn't there a high end Bulldog and a more standard one in gold? I know there was in silver. Certain set were advertised as being "triple-plated".

I can't say for sure but the only Gillettes I have seen that were billed as "triple plated" were silver. Let's face it, the cost of silver is and always was only a tiny fraction of the cost of gold, so you could put on a much heavier plating of silver and it would still cost much less to make than the gold ones.

Many of the old silver plated razors, even though they weren't protected by a lacquer finish like the gold ones, can still be polished up to look like new. If you had to polish gold to keep it looking nice, I doubt that we would ever find a decent looking gold razor unless it was actually NIB.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom