What's new

Gillette Fusion5: new changedifference?

I noticed that Gillette changed the packaging on the original Fusion razor blades - the ones with the orange microfins that used to be marketed for the battery operated Fusion power razor. The package now looks like this:
proxy.php

A few things I noticed is that, as they publicized, Gillette really dropped the price on these things. The lube strip is now dark blue (as is now the Mach3 Turbo.) But what really struck me is that on the back of the package it now says "Made in the USA." I don't recall that being the case when these were originally released almost 11 years ago now.

I noticed that Gillette changed the packaging on the original Fusion razor blades - the ones with the orange microfins that used to be marketed for the battery operated Fusion power razor. The package now looks like this:
proxy.php

A few things I noticed is that, as they publicized, Gillette really dropped the price on these things. The lube strip is now dark blue (as is now the Mach3 Turbo.) But what really struck me is that on the back of the package it now says "Made in the USA." I don't recall that being the case when these were originally released almost 11 years ago now.
I noticed that too. Today,matter of fact

proxy.php

usually they make the handles in another country.

Historically, Gillette made its blades in factories all over the world. I'm pretty sure Fusion cartridges have been produced in the U.S. (and elsewhere) for a long time. It's not a labor-intensive process that benefits from shopping for low labor costs. It's all about the engineering and machinery. And if one can avoid import duties and transportation costs by producing in-country, a company will do that.

Gillette's being hit by Dollar Shave Club and Harry's. But neither company is yet big enough to produce its own blades in factories all over the world.

My guess is that Procter & Gamble is pushing back hard against the shave club cartridges that are hurting their market share. Harry's blade cartridges are made in a single factory in Eisfeld, Germany. Dollar Shave Club blades are made by Dorco in South Korea. So Gillette has (a) tried to price its cartridges at a non-monopolistic price point; (b) introduced a "shave club" plan; and (c) begun touting the "Made in the U.S.A." feature on its products coming out of U.S. factories.

Historically, Gillette made its blades in factories all over the world. I'm pretty sure Fusion cartridges have been produced in the U.S. (and elsewhere) for a long time. It's not a labor-intensive process that benefits from shopping for low labor costs. It's all about the engineering and machinery. And if one can avoid import duties and transportation costs by producing in-country, a company will do that.

Gillette's being hit by Dollar Shave Club and Harry's. But neither company is yet big enough to produce its own blades in factories all over the world.

My guess is that Procter & Gamble is pushing back hard against the shave club cartridges that are hurting their market share. Harry's blade cartridges are made in a single factory in Eisfeld, Germany. Dollar Shave Club blades are made by Dorco in South Korea. So Gillette has (a) tried to price its cartridges at a non-monopolistic price point; (b) introduced a "shave club" plan; and (c) begun touting the "Made in the U.S.A." feature on its products coming out of U.S. factories.
Very well said.

There website has a video on the Boston factory - looked like Proglide/Proshield blades. I just don't recall ever specifically seeing "USA" being on modern (post 2006) Gillette blades. Most seem not to say or be made in Brazil/Mexico. I know Schick & Personna products will say "Blades made in the USA" (probably plastic from somewhere else.)

Top Bottom