What's new

Gillette for travel

having just ordered a feather AS D2 and waiting on it arriving, i do a lot of European travel and would have been packing my AS D2 in my luggage, whilst browsing the web though I've came across this Gillette safety razor at just 13.40 British pounds, and has me thinking at this cheap price it may be a safer option for travel than the AS D2, which can just be left at home, wouldnt be as annoying getting a £13.40 razor lost or broken whilst travelling, has anyone used this particular cheapy Gillette model, and is it any good for using on my travels, or at this price is it better just to leave it and travel with the D2🤔cheers all for any input👍🏼

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200918-193526.png
    Screenshot_20200918-193526.png
    681.8 KB · Views: 39
@bluesparkuk Can’t offer an opinion on the Gillette, but my brother-in-law got one of these recently:

and he’s happy with it. (Mind you, he’s a only-one-razor guy 😱) At this price it may be another option.
defo another option 👍🏼

I've came across this Gillette safety razor at just 13.40 British pounds, and has me thinking at this cheap price it may be a safer option for travel than the AS D2, which can just be left at home, wouldnt be as annoying getting a £13.40 razor lost or broken whilst travelling, has anyone used this particular cheapy Gillette model, and is it any good for using on my travels...
That is Gillette's latest venture into the DE market and is being sold in many supermarkets. It is very similar to the EJ DE89 so would be an ideal travel razor; I have a DE89 in my Dopp kit. It is a good razor and not too expensive if lost in travel. Keep the AS-D2 at home when you travel.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I purchased a 60’s Travel Tech online, in great shape very reasonable price. It’s a great little shaver, very nimble with the small handle, but not everyone’s preference. My EJ DE89 handle fits on it nicely and looks good if I want something bigger. Can’t comment on the new Gillette.

That is Gillette's latest venture into the DE market and is being sold in many supermarkets. It is very similar to the EJ DE89 so would be an ideal travel razor; I have a DE89 in my Dopp kit. It is a good razor and not too expensive if lost in travel. Keep the AS-D2 at home when you travel.
thank you👍🏼

Get a Gillette Tech. There are plenty out there on the Bay or antique stores for cheap, and it is what the AS D2 is based on. It may become your one and only.

Just got a ‘64 ball end tech in the mail from the bay for $10 shipped. Great condition and probably one of my favored shavers so far

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Just got a ‘64 ball end tech in the mail from the bay for $10 shipped. Great condition and probably one of my favored shavers so far
For my shaving requirements of smooth and zero irritation, the older Gillette’s are fantastic. Aside from the vintage appeal, they are really good razors for my preferences. Ball End Tech is a smooth operator IMHO. Excellent value compared to some modern razors also. Not to be overlooked.

Gillette Tech in a custom closed foam lined Altoids tin. Protects the goods well and it's inexpensive to make.

Damn, the handle for the King C. Gillette is too long for the altoids tin. Same problem for my RazoRocks with the longer handles. I'd rather carry them in something like this than a bag, as nice as the RR leather pouch is...

Fantastic idea though! Where did you get the foam?

Just some random 1/2" white foam I found from packing.16006556008759126989468726464182.jpg
Cut to tin size, then I traced out the shapes of the parts cut a 1/8" indent into the bottom foam. Cut another tin size for the top.

just ordered the Gillette one, with a 15 pack of blades, will update, once ive received and given it a try👍🏼
If you want to REALLY splash out, bluespark... order the latest in the Gillette Tech line HERE for a massive $2.69 shipped.

I ordered one to try out, and liked it so much that I ordered another two for back-up. I'm not keen on the standard long handle so I replaced mine with my 75mm olive wood custom:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

The blades are great too.

If you want to REALLY splash out, bluespark... order the latest in the Gillette Tech line HERE for a massive $2.69 shipped.

I ordered one to try out, and liked it so much that I ordered another two for back-up. I'm not keen on the standard long handle so I replaced mine with my 75mm olive wood custom:
View attachment 1157875

The blades are great too.
noticed the gillette whilst browsing Aliexpress this morning👍🏼

I usually bring along the little Merkur 34C whenever I travel another good option would be the Gillette super speed since its a compact one piece

Well I have various razors that filll the travel requirement including several Techs and my Merkur 45. I have and do travel with Slims, A'crats, you name it and I own an AS-D2. Once the travel restrictions end and I begin travelling again for work and the like I expect to travel with the AS-D2. I have travelled with vintage and newer razors for work and holidays. Timeless, Karve, Blackland etc. I want the same quality shave on vacation and on my work trips as I get at home so I pack a pretty bountiful dopp kit and off I go. Just me. Let us know how the Gillette shaves once it arrives....

Top Bottom