What's new

Gillette foamy menthol

There is a search function on the forums to help you. You should try it; the link is at the top right of every page.
If im a rookie, would it be absolutely necessary to use brush and soap?
Not necessary to use a brush and soap; I have yet to see anyone suggest that. Some do use can foam and a DE razor.
Why cant i just use gillette foamy menthol?? Whats wrong with this?
Nothing wrong with the product if you like to use the same every day. There are a few alternatives in canned foam on supermarket shelves.
What is wrong with the method is they have to put the water, soap and propellant into the can to get the foam out. Ready foam costs more and generates lots of profit for the retailers and the manufacturer.
Many shoppers have been happy to pay for that convenience since the 50s' to complete that daily chore of shaving. The key word is chore and to many, shaving is a chore.
If you want a tailored experience with lather to your preference {skin sensitivity, glide, cushion, fragrance, etc.} that is a different matter.
The Wiki has a guide on that too; Lathers - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Lather_Products

You can. I used Foamy for decades. I don't use it anymore because I find lathering soaps to be slicker and more protective to my skin. I enjoy my morning shave ritual.
QoxqqqgOnU7yU.gif

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing wrong with using it at all. Try it and see. If it works for you then keep on using it.

I used gels and foams for 14 years with my DEs. I didn’t even think about brushes and soaps until two years ago. I do like the soap and brushes better then the canned stuff though.

Nothing wrong with it. Millions of people have done it that way for a long time. My face hates it though. I have had some success using a wet brush to apply canned cream. Adding a little water to it makes it a lot slicker. A good soap still works better for me but if I had to use canned stuff I'd still use a brush.

I have no problem with canned foam, but I never really cared for the canned gel.

The Gillette menthol, however, the stuff makes my eyes water.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Nothing at all. If you like the foam, you will save a ton of money since you won't fall prey to needing a bunch of brushes and soaps. There are no artisan canned foams.

Chances are better than average that dad and grandpa used canned foam, not a hard puck or stick.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
i enjoy the act of lathering a soap. I have used canned foam, gel and tubed and jarred brushless shave cream for many years.
I do too and the satisfying sound of a properly loaded natural brush making that "thwack" sound with the lather on the paint brush strokes. I'm not sure the actual quality of the shave is much better but at times the enjoyment is heightened.

I think shaving has been a lost skill for at least 20 years. All one has to do is look at the preponderence of men running around with a 12 o'clock shadow, or a scraggly, unkempt beard. You can't tell me women like a sandpaper face. Nor would I think most men like the feel of it. I believe the problem started when men stopped going to barbers. I don't think most sylists knew anything about shaving. Barbers knew a good hot foam, preferably with menthol oil would soften the toughest beard. And they stropped their straight razor every time they used it. They kept it clean too, both for sanitary reasons, and to prevent corrosion of the edges. Anyone who has never experienced a hot lather shave with one of these implements at the hands of a skilled barber has missed out on an enjoyable experience and a smooth, comfortable shave.

I've shaved for 57 years and have used almost every implement invented - from rotary and vibrating electrics (YEECH!), to the dangerous straight razors, to "double edge" blades, to injectors to double/triple/quad cartridges, and everything from soaps and brushes to canned foams, gels, and the now in vogue greasy creams.

I've always had a very tough beard. Other than a couple years experimenting with a full beard, I shaved every day. NOTHING worked better than putting a lot of hot water on my face, followed by menthol shave cream, and the use of an injector or a simple two blade cartridge razor to do the work. If you keep the blades imaculately clean, they will give good service for TWO MONTHS. If you let them get clogged with wet hair and skin oil, they corrode rapidly. And it is MUCH harder to keep those expensive four, five, six, and seven? blade cartridges clean - which, I suspect, is the reason Gillette and Schick developed them. They want you returning to buy more blades. They don't work any better. Anything past two edges is overkill!

You can't beat hot water and menthol foam for beard softening, and a refreshing feeling. (Don't get me started on gels and greasy creams.) Gillette dropped Foamy Menthol years ago, and Bsrbasol, Colgate, etc., played "follow the leader". I called and spoke to one of Gillette's top marketing people. The woman told me they dropped Foamy Menthol because it comprised ONLY 30% of their shave cream/gel sales. Think about that for a minute. The company had AT LEAST TEN shave creams and gels in their lineup, so they dropped the one that produced ONLY 30% of their sales! She was a Harvard grad. I tried to reason with her "logic" but got no where. You'd think Barbasol and Colgate would go after that now unserved 30%, but no. I wonder what they teach in business school these days..

Neatest gadget I ever owned was a little block I plugged into the outlet for a couple minutes then snapped onto a can of Foamy Menthol. You pushed a button and hot lather came out. I could transport that gadget in my travel bag. Unfortunately it broke and no one makes them anymore.

Last edited:
I think shaving has been a lost skill for at least 20 years. All one has to do is look at the preponderence of men running around with a 12 o'clock shadow, or a scraggly, unkempt beard. You can't tell me women like a sandpaper face. Nor would I think most men like the feel of it. I believe the problem started when men stopped going to barbers. I don't think most sylists knew anything about shaving. Barbers knew a good hot foam, preferably with menthol oil would soften the toughest beard. And they stropped their straight razor every time they used it. They kept it clean too, both for sanitary reasons, and to prevent corrosion of the edges. Anyone who has never experienced a hot lather shave with one of these implements at the hands of a skilled barber has missed out on an enjoyable experience and a smooth, comfortable shave.

I've shaved for 57 years and have used almost every implement invented - from rotary and vibrating electrics (YEECH!), to the dangerous straight razors, to "double edge" blades, to injectors to double/triple/quad cartridges, and everything from soaps and brushes to canned foams, gels, and the now in vogue greasy creams.

I've always had a very tough beard. Other than a couple years experimenting with a full beard, I shaved every day. NOTHING worked better than putting a lot of hot water on my face, followed by menthol shave cream, and the use of an injector or a simple two blade cartridge razor to do the work. If you keep the blades imaculately clean, they will give good service for TWO MONTHS. If you let them get clogged with wet hair and skin oil, they corrode rapidly. And it is MUCH harder to keep those expensive four, five, six, and seven? blade cartridges clean - which, I suspect, is the reason Gillette and Schick developed them. They want you returning to buy more blades. They don't work any better. Anything past two edges is overkill!

You can't beat hot water and menthol foam for beard softening, and a refreshing feeling. (Don't get me started on gels and greasy creams.) Gillette dropped Foamy Menthol years ago, and Bsrbasol, Colgate, etc., played "follow the leader". I called and spoke to one of Gillette's top marketing people. The woman told me they dropped Foamy Menthol because it comprised ONLY 30% of their shave cream/gel sales. Think about that for a minute. The company had AT LEAST TEN shave creams and gels in their lineup, so they dropped the one that produced ONLY 30% of their sales! She was a Harvard grad. I tried to reason with her "logic" but got no where. You'd think Barbasol and Colgate would go after that now unserved 30%, but no. I wonder what they teach in business school these days..

Neatest gadget I ever owned was a little block I plugged into the outlet for a couple minutes then snapped onto a can of Foamy Menthol. You pushed a button and hot lather came out. I could transport that gadget in my travel bag. Unfortunately it broke and no one makes them anymore.
If you miss FM you've GOT to try PREP foam. Runs about $10 but beats everything in a can including Proraso. Menthol, camphor that's it.

Top Bottom