What's new

Gillette Flexy Money Grabber - Magazine Editorial Nails it.

Funny article. Whoever wrote that has my funny bone.

I bet Gillette would make a killing by occasionally selling some of their "old" razors as vintage reproductions. I'm pretty sure they have hit the end of the marketing line with the insanely overpriced cartridge razor.

Funny article. Whoever wrote that has my funny bone.

I bet Gillette would make a killing by occasionally selling some of their "old" razors as vintage reproductions. I'm pretty sure they have hit the end of the marketing line with the insanely overpriced cartridge razor.

One stipulation, they make it like they did back in the day. Use real brass to be plated and not some pot metal knock off version. I'd buy them. And while I know a lot of people....erm....I think ALL the people that replied to my thread saying they don't care about date codes, I do. After giving it much thought, slept on it and thought some more, I believe date codes DO make a difference. I point to anyone owning or looking for an R41 and tell me why 2011 vs 2013 makes so much difference and without date codes what you're going on. That'll be all.

Gillette says its new Fusion ProGlide razor with FlexBall™ Technology is so powerful that it allows capital letters to be placed in the middle of made-up words.

Hey.......Canadians can be so mean with their words. - ColdMeatJelly

:tongue_sm

Great piece. Really well written and captures the spirit of the absurdity of a modern shaving product and product marketing. Indeed, one can create constructs according to, in this instance, Gillette. I would think P&G's Gillette is not the purist shaving company of King C. Gillette's vision. I'll stay with my old Gillette Tech and not allow upper-case letters to appear mid word; and I'll be sure not to place a glob of elastomer between my razor's head and the barrel. But if I do, I'll be able to do tHiS aT wiLl.

Scott Feschuk did a brilliant job on this article.

If they are going to innovate then let's go all the way. Argon-ion laser "blades" tunable to various strength followed by UV light & handle injected with helium to make it lighter. I mean heaven knows holding that razor for ten minutes is tough. All for the lowly sum of $75 for three pack of blades.

If they are going to innovate then let's go all the way. Argon-ion laser "blades" tunable to various strength followed by UV light & handle injected with helium to make it lighter. I mean heaven knows holding that razor for ten minutes is tough. All for the lowly sum of $75 for three pack of blades.

You called it. P&G buys no no and designs a razor with it.

I don't now how much of a "purist" old King Gillette was. He did say, "Give away the razor, I'll get them on the blades," or words to that effect. I say this as a very happy Fatboy user. And I don't think he would do anything when he saw this later razor bearing his name but laugh.

As a wetshaver, I see any razor invented after about 1940 as a gimmick. But I do applaud Gillette for trying to bridge a gap.

When I was a kid, and it wasn't that long ago, Gas was .99 per gallon, individual candy was a penny or maybe a nickel for the good stuff, a can of pop was a quarter, and Jack in the Box had a "dollar or less menu."

Now gas is sometimes over 4 bucks, penny candy costs 50cents, pop is a dollar, and jack in the box has a "value menu" and the only thing that costs a dollar is the tacos. It's all the same stuff, but now it costs more.

At least if I buy the latest and greatest fuSion ball thingy, it's different. And what's more impressive to me, is that while some people say it's better, some say it's the same, I haven't found one person who said they made it worse. I mean, clippers, cars, soaps, anytime a company changes something about a product, there is always some people going "they made it worse, shouldn't have changed it."

But yeah, calling it a revolution in shaving is probably stretching it.

I don't now how much of a "purist" old King Gillette was. He did say, "Give away the razor, I'll get them on the blades," or words to that effect. I say this as a very happy Fatboy user. And I don't think he would do anything when he saw this later razor bearing his name but laugh.

King Gillette never gave away Razors. In fact his DE razors were expensive up until the patents expired.

He would laugh alright, all the way to the bank, as I'm sure he always did when they introduced a new razor. Many of which people rave about on this forum. I'm sure there were guys back in the day who said, " Adjustable? What a gimmick. I think I'll stick with my old type, thank you very much." Hence the abundance of fatboys and toggles in mint condition, because people got them for Christmas or birthdays and promptly threw them in a drawer.

Last edited:
If Gillette was smart it would hire us here at BadGer & BLade, stick us in the lab and ask us to come up with something.
To be reasonable Gillette would have to have the rule no re inventing the DE or SE.

I know I would work on affordable ceramic blades and increasing the life of the blades, as well as smoothness.
because I care about that

If Gillette was smart it would hire us here at BadGer & BLade, stick us in the lab and ask us to come up with something.
To be reasonable Gillette would have to have the rule no re inventing the DE or SE.

I know I would work on affordable ceramic blades and increasing the life of the blades, as well as smoothness.
because I care about that

What, you wouldn't allow a twin blade DE? I'm out. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom