What's new

Gillette Flat Bottom Tech Identification

I picked up a couple of English Flat Bottom Techs and while one is easily identifiable as a Fat Handle (I can possible date it if the blades in the box are original and have a date code) but I am struggling to identify the second one.

At first I thought it was possible a Slim Handle Tech, but the handle doesn't have the same knurling as the Slim handle, it also doesn't fit as snuggly as the Fat Handle so I am wondering if it's just a Flat Bottom Head on a random handle?

I've had no luck on the Mr-Razor site so any insights would be appreciated!

slim full.jpg
slim1-jpg.1350060

slim2.jpg
handles.jpg

fat w.jpg
slim w.jpg

Attachments

• slim1.jpg
    slim1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 378

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't recognize that as any Gillette handle I've ever seen before.

You're probably right with the random moniker.

The head is what counts. :thumbup1:

R

romsitsa

Proportions of the blank match the thin handle, the pattern only depends on what knurling tool was used, and Gillette used this diamond pattern on the New and TTO-s. So I don't see why it couldn't be a Gillette handle.

I don't recognize that as any Gillette handle I've ever seen before.

You're probably right with the random moniker.

The head is what counts. :thumbup1:
I think you're right, as well as being loose the slimmer handle doesn't seem to fully lock in place and keeps twisting round without ever fully tightening.

Head looks fine though (minor plating loss) so I'll either stick another handle on it or keep it as a spare!

R

romsitsa

Just FYI a brown bakelite flat bottom set is currently on the British bay with the exact same handle and it a perfectly fits in the shorter space of the thin handle.

Top Bottom