What's new

Gillette Fatboy vs Slim adjustable vs Black Beauty (pre/post 77).

Of all the above, fatboy vs slim vs black beauty, which is the best one to get?

And for the black beauty is there a performance difference between the pre and post 77 versions? The pre 77 has a metal base plate and the post 77 has a plastic base plate.

I figured, since my red tip pif got burned due to exorbitant shipping, might as well go all the way up and get an adjustable to see what the hype is all about. I know I said,I don't really care for adjustables but I've changed my mind. They look kind of cool. :D:D

Sorry about the red tip, USPS quoted me $64 to ship it to Singapore, if anyone has any ideas to get it shipped cheaper help me out. As for adjustables, I have all 3 you mentioned. My super adjustable is a short handled 1970. It has been my almost daily shaver for over 30 years. The black beauty is sexy, the Fatboy is fabulous 50’s and the slim had a very executive quality. To me they all give great shaves, subtle differences in shave quality and I believe as the more modern they get the milder the shave. It’s hard to pick a favorite, so in true B&B spirit get them all my friend!

Agreed. You need all 3! Seriously though, they are all great shavers. My personal preference is the Fatboy, for no real reason in particular. Scoop up whichever one you can get at a good price.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm a Fatboy Fanatic, it was probably the first razor I shaved with way back then. I have all three of the subject razors, and prefer the Fatboy for the nostalgia as well as I think the heavier, more compact form works better for me ..

Fatboy for me, too. I've owned and used all three. I used the Slim for months, but sold it once I had a couple of shaves with the Fatboy.

My SA is slightly more efficient than both my Slim and Fatboy. The handle is aluminum so it is top heavy, I have the 84 with the brass baseplate. The nylon baseplates are apparently very good shavers. Don’t worry about the nylon, it holds up, it’s tough and doesn’t fade. Again nylon, they aren’t cheap plastic. I haven’t seen any faded nylon baseplates on eBay even with the most abused razors.

Or you could get a Fatboy and have Delta Echo make it look like a gold SA from 1969 like mine.

Attachments

• 31216B8E-DA88-4EE1-A186-AD87246935CD.jpeg
    31216B8E-DA88-4EE1-A186-AD87246935CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • 1A9D4218-C02F-4EA8-81EF-D3EC10395B94.jpeg
    1A9D4218-C02F-4EA8-81EF-D3EC10395B94.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 98
Sorry about the red tip, USPS quoted me $64 to ship it to Singapore, if anyone has any ideas to get it shipped cheaper help me out. As for adjustables, I have all 3 you mentioned. My super adjustable is a short handled 1970. It has been my almost daily shaver for over 30 years. The black beauty is sexy, the Fatboy is fabulous 50’s and the slim had a very executive quality. To me they all give great shaves, subtle differences in shave quality and I believe as the more modern they get the milder the shave. It’s hard to pick a favorite, so in true B&B spirit get them all my friend!
Hi Villalobos, don't sweat it. It's fine. I do appreciate the kind gesture. :D

At that shipping price, it's better if I get it myself.

The strange thing is it won't cost me more than $10 USD to send 2 or 3 razors to anywhere in the US with registered airmail. For about $40 USD or so I can send 50 razors overseas in 1 box up to 5000 grams.

So, I don't have a Black Beauty, but I do have a Fatboy and a Slim. I love them both, but would give the nod to the Slim.

I have all 3, and I've found myself favoring the black beauty above the others. It's a long handle and the balance is superb. Very efficient razor and very smooth.

I’m fairly new to wet shaving but I have all 3. I prefer the head of the slim over the fatboy. But I prefer the thicker handle of the FatBoy over the slim.
Not much difference in slim and black beauty IMO

I’m fairly new to wet shaving but I have all 3. I prefer the head of the slim over the fatboy. But I prefer the thicker handle of the FatBoy over the slim.
Not much difference in slim and black beauty IMO

I find that even though the heads on my Slim and SA are basically identical, my brass baseplate SA feels like a different razor because of the top heaviness with that aluminum handle. My guess would be that if I had the nylon baseplate, it would be more balanced like my Slim.
I’ve always assumed that the SA was slightly more aggressive than my Slim because of that.

Do you have the brass or nylon baseplate?

I find that even though the heads on my Slim and SA are basically identical, my brass baseplate SA feels like a different razor because of the top heaviness with that aluminum handle. My guess would be that if I had the nylon baseplate, it would be more balanced like my Slim.
I’ve always assumed that the SA was slightly more aggressive than my Slim because of that.

Do you have the brass or nylon baseplate?

Mine is the brass. Both heads are almost identical here is the slim and B.B. the B.B. is a hair longer btw.

Attachments

• F08C168F-F981-4DE3-93B5-55B7C9615481.jpeg
    F08C168F-F981-4DE3-93B5-55B7C9615481.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • DD629AA6-9BEB-4FBD-9D9A-14C9E789AF70.jpeg
    DD629AA6-9BEB-4FBD-9D9A-14C9E789AF70.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • FF80631A-8A91-40C5-9061-12F43719417D.jpeg
    FF80631A-8A91-40C5-9061-12F43719417D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
I own and regularly use all three. Right now, I'm using a long handled black beauty and it feels like the best of the bunch. Next week I might be using my Fatboy and it will feel like the best of the bunch. I just got home from a 8000km road trip. Used the same slim the whole time. It was the best of the bunch until I picked up my black beauty again...
Life is short. Get all three.

Agreed, you gotta have all of them. The Slim handle is the most comfortable for me, but the Fatboy is just too cool. And of course I had to find a '81 Super just to have my birth year razor. Options are a bit limited for birth year razors for us 80s kids!

I personally find the SA to be the best shaving of the Gillette adjustables, but it is certainly not the best built. In my experience vintage SAs are much more likely to have mechanical problems, such as uneven doors, out of alignment safety bars or frozen 1/4 turns, than Slims or Fat Boys. So, if you go SA, check it out carefully to make sure it is sound. If it is, it will deliver some truly excellent shaves.

Top Bottom