What's new

Gillette Fatboy, initial impressions

I found my late Dad's E-3 Fatboy, a British steel handled ball-end TECH and a aluminium British Rocket (I think...) in his man cave a couple of years ago. That's what started me on "wet-shaving". I learned/earned my nicks and chops with the Fatboy. A great razor. Happy shaves to you with your Fatboy, eh?

I found my late Dad's E-3 Fatboy, a British steel handled ball-end TECH and a aluminium British Rocket (I think...) in his man cave a couple of years ago. That's what started me on "wet-shaving". I learned/earned my nicks and chops with the Fatboy. A great razor. Happy shaves to you with your Fatboy, eh?
It's great to inherit one, much less 3 vintage razors! I had to look for my own as my dad used a track 2 or an Atra cartridge. Not sure about what my grandfather used. However, I think I made the wise choice of sticking with vintage Gillettes. No need for a ATT, Wolfman, etc. I am sure they are excellent but I gotta draw the line somewhere! I am not ready to commit nearly $200.00

Yes I have had 2 great shaves with the fatboy so far, thanks for asking. There is definitely less irritation with than i experience with other razors. It could be mind over matter, so I will hold my opinion until I used it for a month. My assumption is it has something to do with the enlarged head piece. I am convinced that it is among the best designs of DE razors.

I read online today that it is likely the name Fatboy came from the Gillette internal staff after the Slim was invented. "Fatboy" was used to refer to the old model versus the new "Slim". There is supposedly a letter from someone inside Gillette written around 1960 where the author specifically uses the term. It was probably an old school reference to the Atomic bombs, fat man and little boy.

I always thought that the name was a reference to Harley Davidson. The Harley Davidson "fatboy" model is an American icon and somehow I had the idea that the razor was thought of as comparable to the iconic Harley motorcycle. I think of it that way. It certainly has the same "vibe" heavy, muscular, old school mechanical and so on. Harley describes the 2018 Fatboy as having a "Steamroller Stance". I would say the same about the Gillette.

The ATT razors do look great, though I wonder whether there will come a point where I pay $185-$200 for a razor. I am definitely a vintage gillette proponent and the fatboy is probably as good as it gets for me. That's what is satisfying to me at this point in my life and I feel lucky to have what I have.

I have wondered just what you get for that kind of ATT price. It seems like something incredibly well made that can be coveted; though I would wonder if the shave quality matches the material and the price tag. I have heard other people say no, the luxury is in knowing the quality is top notch, not necessarily how it functions as a tool. It sounds more like art to me than a razor, but that's a good a reason as any to purchase it. I am glad I can get that sort of feeling from historical razors rather than very expensive ones.

Glad you are enjoying your Fatboy. I have a number of vintage Gillettes (Old Type, Goodwill #164, NEW SC, NEW LC, several Techs, C4 Flare Tip Superspeed and E4 Fatboy) currently. I had a pristine Slim, but I never really liked it and eventually traded it. The Fatboy gets used every Friday and does not disappoint. I’m glad you are finding success with your new Fatboy.

As for the ATT, I met Stan and made a trade leaving me with an ATT Atlas M1. He described it as having a similar feel to a Superspeed. What the ATT brings is a well made razor that will last many lifetimes. The weight is significantly greater than the Gillette razors, but I don’t find that to be a positive or a negative. I find this razor to hit my sweet spot. It is smooth and efficient. I shave daily using three passes and find the ATT gives a long lasting and comfortable shave. The key is to find what you like and then enjoy it. Technique is probably the most important variable but the phrase YMMV truly applies here.

I have several Fatboys that I alternately shave with. I get close smooth shaves with them.
I have several Slims but I feel i get a better shave with the Fatboys.
I have a couple Super Adjustables and I just don't get along well with them.

I have several Fatboys that I alternately shave with. I get close smooth shaves with them.
I have several Slims but I feel i get a better shave with the Fatboys.
I have a couple Super Adjustables and I just don't get along well with them.
Have you gotten ahold of a gold executive FB?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Have you gotten ahold of a gold executive FB?

I've got an Executive, it shaves like a Fat Boy, in my opinion it's just plated, and I don't really like gold razors .. but I'll hang onto it, just in case I wear out the nickel plated ones ..
IMG_9121.JPG

No I haven't. Fairly pricey from the ones I have seen.
I would love to have one someday.

The question really is if you aren't buying one to collect and never use, is it worth almost twice as much as the average price of a Fatboy for the same razor with a slightly different TTO knob design. If you are buying it just to experience shaving with it then the answer is yes if you can get out of it about what you spend when you put it up for resale. The pricing on the Executives really isn't out of line if you re-plated a Fatboy and tried to sell it pricing the plating into the overall cost.

No I haven't. Fairly pricey from the ones I have seen.
I would love to have one someday.
I saw an executive auction go for $56 a about two weeks ago. I wish I had bid on it. The gold is fairly cool but I would not pay $95.00 for it, especially since I have a perfectly good nickel one I can use. You could replate a regular fatboy in gold for that price (or just near it). Some of the executives I have seen had plate loss, even at that high of a price.

So, apparently the "Slim Adjustable" was indeed called Slim in the packaging. For me, this lends credence to the supposed internal gillette company letter referring to the 195 as "the fat boy".

Also, it tells me that if this razor was $1.50, they replaced the fat boy to offer a cheaper adjustable by subtracting metal from the handle. That would explain many people's (including mine) preference for the fatboy due to its weight. It may also explain why people like the fatboy shave better because the added material may improve the quality of the shave. Just a speculation, but I am gonna go with that!
proxy.php

I've got an Executive, it shaves like a Fat Boy, in my opinion it's just plated, and I don't really like gold razors .. but I'll hang onto it, just in case I wear out the nickel plated ones ..View attachment 912972
That is a lovely razor! I don't normally go for gold myself, but with that dark collar and contrast, that looks like pure manhood right there. Plus the mid century presentation package. That's one for the museum.

garyg

So, apparently the "Slim Adjustable" was indeed called Slim in the packaging. For me, this lends credence to the supposed internal gillette company letter referring to the 195 as "the fat boy".

Also, it tells me that if this razor was $1.50, they replaced the fat boy to offer a cheaper adjustable by subtracting metal from the handle. That would explain many people's (including mine) preference for the fatboy due to its weight. It may also explain why people like the fatboy shave better because the added material may improve the quality of the shave. Just a speculation, but I am gonna go with that!
proxy.php

That makes alot of sense, the Drive to the Bottom once again. Though there's plenty who'll post the Slim is a better razor ..

That makes alot of sense, the Drive to the Bottom once again. Though there's plenty who'll post the Slim is a better razor ..

I think the slim is still a great razor minus the fatboy handle and head. I actually just bought one for a friend on ebay for $12.99. He will probably never spring for a fatboy and enjoy this one tremendously.

I also got a 1973 black handled Superspeed. It is amazing how much the construction quality went down from the 1950s. It is light, jingly with a short handle. Definitely getting into Weishi territory here. I will use it or PIF it to my brother after a while.

garyg

I like the Slim, way better than the later iterations, but that's the way we've gone .. maybe why some of us old coots seek 60 year old razors ..

I like both the Slim and the Fatboy, but prefer the Fatboy. The longer handle of the Slim gets in my way, and I simply cannot tolerate the handle on the Black Beauty. Maybe the short version, but the long one is no good for me.

The main push behind the Slim was style -- remember, this was the dawn of the Jet Age, so long a skinny and "fast" was all the rage. Big streamlined tail fins on cars, "longer, lower, wider", and so forth. The FatBoy looked like a 1956 Chevy BelAir, big and fat and bulbous, very much out of style. It was probably a bit lighter, too, and hence cheaper to make, but the big thing was style.

Top Bottom