What's new

Gillette Fatboy F4

Some initial sanding and polishing.

I will leave any minor pitting - it is a 60 year old razor.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_204746~2.jpg
    IMG_20211023_204746~2.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
@ Anu
You did say, that you were working on a Gillette slim ?

If you view the attached image you'll notice , that one of the clicker springs is longer.

I assume, that is from a slim ?

Attachments

• IMAG1220 (1).jpg
    IMAG1220 (1).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
@ Anu
You did say, that you were working on a Gillette slim ?

If you view the attached image you'll notice , that one of the clicker springs is longer.

I assume, that is from a slim ?
It certainly does seem so. Is that from a donor ?

Re-assembled again after cleaning and polishing base plates and "T" shaft .

Seems to be working - just need to wait now for nickel plates to arrive so I can start stripping off the old nickel plating.
Ahm, what electrostripping process do you have in mind ? Afaik Ni plates are not mandatory for the task. A simple solution of acetic acid (distilled vinegar) and iodine-less salt (canning salt) paired with a copper based electrode should and would do the job just fine.

Ahm, what electrostripping process do you have in mind ? Afaik Ni plates are not mandatory for the task. A simple solution of acetic acid (distilled vinegar) and iodine-less salt (canning salt) paired with a copper based electrode should and would do the job just fine.
Yes, they aren't mandatory , but I'll use them when they arrive to strip the nickel plating.

Reactions: Anu
Plating stripper will not attack the brass where acid and vinegar will, I have done loads now with great results these are the ones I have done

View attachment 1355260
For the minute time involved, neglijable. Long and unnecessary exposure, yes. And granted, whilst not a selective dissociative process, but a buk one, it does lend itself quite well to small workpieces.

Last edited:
Plating stripper will not attack the brass where acid and vinegar will, I have done loads now with great results these are the ones I have done

View attachment 1355260
I will be using the nickel acetate solution to strip the plating.
Also generally speaking a solution of 4 parts distilled H2O and 1 part white vinegar 6% will not harm the underlying base metal.

I received my new clicker spring today after about 6 weeks .

In Euro-land customs for over a month.

Total cost to me $ 36 U.S. = cost of item, postage and Euro-land taxes etc.

Would have been cheaper to have had it made from Gold - local Jewellery artisan I know..😂

IMG_20211215_114928~2.jpg

I received my new clicker spring today after about 6 weeks .

In Euro-land customs for over a month.

Total cost to me $ 36 U.S. = cost of item, postage and Euro-land taxes etc.

Would have been cheaper to have had it made from Gold - local Jewellery artisan I know..😂

View attachment 1378611

Painful, I know too well. And like you said, if it wouldn't have been for the specialty spring steel the artisanal way would have certainly be more appealing.

Painful, I know too well. And like you said, if it wouldn't have been for the specialty spring steel the artisanal way would have certainly be more appealing.
What I am interested in doing is finishing the restoration - it's a heirloom piece..

Replicating it now isn't difficult via my connections ( what I had was a flattened piece from misuse - I am referring to the original clicker spring )

What is delaying the restoration process now are the nickel plates I ordered from China ( hopefully, I will finish the restoration sometime in March )

If I was concerned about the cost I would have purchased a restored Fatboy - my restoration will cost much more in the long run.

All the equipment/tools etc I have purchased to get the job done ( okay, they can be used in other projects in the future )

Top Bottom