What's new

Gillette Fatboy DE Razor First Use & Thoughts (Head Shave)

hey people so I just used my Gillette Fatboy with a feather de razor

so started off testing the waters thought i'd have a go at number 4 then went straight to number 9,
straight away knew i'd be pretty much stuck on number 9 most the shave

number 9 just took everything off with ease, bare in mind im a head shaver with thick and coarse hair

ive also got a gillette slim and black beauty long handle but two thing stuck out for me with this fatboy and that was the weight and that it was very smooth

i could imagine it being even more smoother with a smoother blade like say the nacet for example

im wondering what number setting do you people usually use the fatboy on?

Face shaver here. Setting 2 or 3 with a new, sharp blade and 24 hours of growth. I'll move up when I've got more growth, say I skip a day shaving over the weekend. As the blade acquires some shaves on it and isn't shaving as cleanly as it did, I'll crank up the setting. For instance, when I'm testing blade longevity and have ridden a blade for a while, I often use my Fatboy on setting 7.

Face shaver here. Setting 2 or 3 with a new, sharp blade and 24 hours of growth. I'll move up when I've got more growth, say I skip a day shaving over the weekend. As the blade acquires some shaves on it and isn't shaving as cleanly as it did, I'll crank up the setting. For instance, when I'm testing blade longevity and have ridden a blade for a while, I often use my Fatboy on setting 7.
you mention sharp blades, which blades you tried out in the fatboy so far?

hey people so I just used my Gillette Fatboy with a feather de razor

so started off testing the waters thought i'd have a go at number 4 then went straight to number 9,
straight away knew i'd be pretty much stuck on number 9 most the shave

number 9 just took everything off with ease, bare in mind im a head shaver with thick and coarse hair

ive also got a gillette slim and black beauty long handle but two thing stuck out for me with this fatboy and that was the weight and that it was very smooth

i could imagine it being even more smoother with a smoother blade like say the nacet for example

As far as DE razors are concerned,I learned to shave my head properly with my Fatboy. Daily head shaves for me that work: three passes: 6- with, 5- across, and 4-against the grain.
Last Sunday I experimented with 3,2, and 1 and I was happy with the results.

Reactions: saj
As far as DE razors are concerned,I learned to shave my head properly with my Fatboy. Daily head shaves for me that work: three passes: 6- with, 5- across, and 4-against the grain.
Last Sunday I experimented with 3,2, and 1 and I was happy with the results.
Nice so you head shave everyday? 😲

I use a bar razor if every 2 days, any longer I tend to use an open comb....easier and smoother. First razor I used was Merkur 510 at 3 for the head.... with a Merkur blade that came with it....was not the smoothest.....but NO blood. That razor still works fine. For some reason, I tend to not get the right angle with the Fatboy unless I use it for many days in a row....and I tend to change razors every time

how long on average would you say it takes to shave your had as you do it everyday and wont be much growth?

also you got thin or thick hair?
I do three passes. All told I’m done in about ten to fifteen minutes. I enjoy the process. I’ve learned not to rush. Since I shave daily their isn’t much growth. My hair is really thick and coarse on the sides and back of my head. It’s thinner on top but that’s where I find I need to be really careful.

A Fatboy Revelation:

After using the Fatboy for almost a year, and not particularly feeling a lot of love for it for the longest time, I have finally understood how to get the best out of it.

1) The butterfly mechanism doesn't give highly rigid clamping to the blade, as such, it has a very distinct difference in terms of WTG and ATG shaves due to some extenr of blade chatter

2) Due to the same reason as (1) , the Fatboy performs best when the whiskers are shorter, especially when one has stiff and dense hair.

3) It performs beautifully with sharp blades like the Nacet

Conclusion? The Fatboy works best for me when i shave daily. When the conditions are met, it gives one of the smoothest, cleanest shave, beating many modern razors. BUT it is not for every occassion of hair type.

A Fatboy Revelation:

After using the Fatboy for almost a year, and not particularly feeling a lot of love for it for the longest time, I have finally understood how to get the best out of it.

1) The butterfly mechanism doesn't give highly rigid clamping to the blade, as such, it has a very distinct difference in terms of WTG and ATG shaves due to some extenr of blade chatter

2) Due to the same reason as (1) , the Fatboy performs best when the whiskers are shorter, especially when one has stiff and dense hair.

3) It performs beautifully with sharp blades like the Nacet

Conclusion? The Fatboy works best for me when i shave daily. When the conditions are met, it gives one of the smoothest, cleanest shave, beating many modern razors. BUT it is not for every occassion of hair type.
you got any other fatboys to compare the tto mechanism with?

i ask as i dont have any issues like blade chatter WTG & ATG

you got any other fatboys to compare the tto mechanism with?

i ask as i dont have any issues like blade chatter WTG & ATG
Same here. With the quarter turn and the spring action, the Gillette Adjustables actually clamp the blade quite well. Significantly more so than other razors I’ve used like Rex, Merkur Progress, DE89, Muhle Rocca, Rocnel, ATT, etc. only the Feather AS-D2, Tech and Fatips hold the blade more rigidly than the TTO Gillettes in my experience, but with no significant additional benefit IMO

I've never noticed any blade chatter, or alignment problems with my Fatboy. Perhaps if the razor has been subjected to many years of daily use the butterfly mechanism could have loosened up a bit. Just a guess. 🤔

Top Bottom