What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Nice paint job Captain. Did you use a fine art brush for it, or something like a sightly flared toothpick?

Also, is that normal paint or something special?
Thanks for the compliment, sir. For the adjustment dial I used a very fine paintbrush to fill in the numbers and dots. I would just flood the numbers and dots with paint and wipe off the excess with a soft cloth. For the paint, I used krylon colormaster satin black paint. Two coats followed by one coat of the same brand in clear satin, for longevity.

For the indicator spring, I painted it wagon red. It seems to match the original color in normal light:cool:

*UPDATE*

All polished and repainted, ready to be reassembled:eek:

$uploadfromtaptalk1405842995780.jpg

Here go Captain. It still adjusts as it should, but does look over clocked the other one you worked on. It does have the two small slots in the end so it can be taken apart.
I tried shaving with this with a proven blade I have, and it turned my face into hamburger, especially my neck. Other than that, its in really nice condition.

Here go Captain

Thanks for the pictures, sir. It does look overclocked. Go ahead and send it to me and I'll take it apart, clean and polish, and reset your adjustment according to the original specs. I'll also fix that last quarter turn.

Just PM me for my address:thumbup:

Last edited:
Going back together gents. Here, I am setting the blade gap, according to the specs here on Badger and Blade. On setting five, the blade gap is set at 0.032 check it out:

$uploadfromtaptalk1405869084947.jpg

This adjustment is made with a blade installed, hence the spring clamps.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Well, after triple checking the blade gap on settings 1,5, and 9, I decided to fully reassemble this Fatboy. After reassembly, I gave it a light buff with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. Feast your eyes:

$uploadfromtaptalk1405879301330.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1405879310268.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1405879331804.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1405879339942.jpg

*quick thread-related question*

I know there are instruction guides out there on how to take a Fatboy apart and put it back together. There's even a few videos on the disassembly but I've never seen a "reassembly" video. When a Fatboy goes back together the adjustments must be done correctly or else the razor won't perform as intended. Furthermore, damage can be done to the pieces if not handled correctly.

I'm thinking about doing an instructional video on the reassembly of a Gillette Fatboy, using my methods and techniques. What does everyone think? Would it be useful to the community? I thank you in advance for your suggestions and input:thumbup:

I'm thinking about doing an instructional video on the reassembly of a Gillette Fatboy, using my methods and techniques. What does everyone think? Would it be useful to the community? I thank you in advance for your suggestions and input:thumbup:

That would be awesome captain. Can't comment on whether it will be useful to the community, but I'm a mechanical engineer and always interested in some intricate dismantling and re-assembly.

Captain - twice I have restrained myself from requesting a reassembly tutorial; I figured you had your hand's full. Thanks for offering, I would love to see your reassembly method.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom