What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Hey everyone, is Captain back and accepting razors for restoration?

Can someone please PM me his email details...I sent him a PM but want to
email him in case he checks that more frequently...as I haven;t seen him post here
in a while (last visit: Jan 2018).
I believe that CAP is currently on military maneuvers for the next couple of months. If this is true, he won't be doing any clean ups or adjustments until he returns. If you reach out to Chris Evatt at razorplate, he may be able to provide you with some more info, as he and CAP work collaboratively.

That sent shivers up my spine!

Oh yeah..me too!

We did that A LOT.

Every piece of unpainted metal when I was aboard the USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73, ('92-'96) GLOWED because of NevrDull! Got 700 or so hours to kill? How about making a fireplug at a DC station glow to where you see yourself in it!

It teaches attention to detail, and pride in your work IMO.

I use Nevr Dull whenever I re-do an older/used guitar as well, my vintage Gillettes, my silver jewelry, and ANYTHING that needs a shine!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Got a PM asking about a link to Cap's Adjustable repair videos. The ones linked in here are listed private but the photos and instructions are still there...this thread deserves a bump once in a while anyway.

This really was a great post. I’m glad Cap was able to repair my red dot fat boy. I still have never used it and am keeping it in pristine condition. Thanks for a great community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about the Gillette Slim that I recently bought at ebay. Upon visual inspection there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the Gillette and it was supposedly cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner (It looks very clean on the outside). But there is some play on the butterfly head and I wonder if it is normal or does it need fixing and if I should send it in for a "tune-up" and adjusting.

My question is, is the butterfly head piece supposed to have some play from side to side (long side) when open in relation to the handle? The plate remains fixed and doesn't move.

I'm kind of new to B&B (recently created account). Basically used a Merkur 34C only for many years, and this year decided to try new razors. One of them is the Gillette Slim that I bought a couple of weeks ago. It shaves pretty well, but compared to my Rockwell 6S (first one I got this year) using the same blades (I tried different ones), the Rockwell is noticeably smoother.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, that's acceptable. I no longer have a Slim but a Fatboy I checked wiggles a little (~0.015") longitudinally when open.

So long as the plate moves up and down with the turning of the adjustment ring and it clamps the blade tightly I think you're OK and good to go. Many members here get concerned about the final "quarter turn" when the doors are closing but I really don't think it's the big deal -- my opinion, of course.

Welcome to B&B from California @Vitt !! Enjoy your vintage adjustable.

Yes, that's acceptable. I no longer have a Slim but a Fatboy I checked wiggles a little (~0.015") longitudinally when open.

So long as the plate moves up and down with the turning of the adjustment ring and it clamps the blade tightly I think you're OK and good to go. Many members here get concerned about the final "quarter turn" when the doors are closing but I really don't think it's the big deal -- my opinion, of course.

Welcome to B&B from California @Vitt !! Enjoy your vintage adjustable.
Thanks for the info, nemo. I appreciate it. I'll try different blades with it since a lot of people like this razor. Maybe I'll hit the right combo for my beard.

Top Bottom