What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Just got an email from CAP that the Gillette FB I sent him is looking good as new !!! Can't wait to get it back to test with a few blades I received. I like the way CAP gives you progress reports !!

Just got an email from CAP that the Gillette FB I sent him is looking good as new !!! Can't wait to get it back to test with a few blades I received. I like the way CAP gives you progress reports !!

He's definitly a gentleman on the way he conducts his business. Top notch all the way!!

So just got a progress report with pictures from CAP !!!! What can I say, The Man is a Magician !!! The Red Tip had a lot of build up inside and the handle has pitting, brass showing, but the head is like new he told me. He is mailing them back to me today, can't wait to start the testing with all the new blades I acquired. Thank You CAP !!!!!
55 Red Tip before :
$image.jpg
61 FatBoy before :
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
After pics by CAP !!!
$image.jpg

More pics from CAP !!! If you are on the ropes about having this done, Just Do It !!! Great Communication, Great Prices !!! When I find my Aristocrat LC in the wild, it will be going to CAP.
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

THANK YOU CAP !!!! You did a Fantastic job on my 2 razors !! Nothing beats the way they look in hand. Now the testing can begin properly. Anyone looking to fine tune and clean up their razors look no further than CAP !!! He keeps you updated through the process and super fast return shipping of your treasure !!

PM sent, I need help with the two razors I showed in the message. Let me know if you received it, I got an error when sending the message.

You may want to try sending Cap an email to the email address in his signature. You will more than likely get a faster response. The Captain is a very busy man as he is not only the resident Master of the Gillette Repair he is also Active Duty Military so if you got an error here his in box may be full. I can say that once you get your razors back you will definitely not be disappointed for sure.:thumbup:

Captain, you joined while I was on a 3-year B&B hiatus but you do amazing work and I can see why so many members on here refer people to you. Most of all, thank you for your military service.

Hey @Captain Murphy , are you still at it doing these kinds of fixes and cleanups? I just spent the day reading the majority of the thread, and it is wildly addicting! Thanks for adding such great things to B&B

I was looking for Capt's quote on not needing to loosen the doors in order to adjust and thought this excellent thread could use a bump.

The dial can be turned with the doors open or closed, it will not damage anything. The only difference you will experience is more resistance when turning the dial with the doors closed, as you are essentially overcoming spring pressure.

Cap, I know this was discussed before, but tell us again about loosening the doors before adjusting.

Can we adjust while the razor is locked, or not really advisable?

Thanks in advance!

Looks like we are back at it!:lol:

Hi Edgar! This comes up a lot and I am always happy to lend my opinion on it. In simple terms, one will do absolutely no harm in adjusting any Gillette Adjustable model while it is closed and/or locked down.

Basically, when the user twists the adjuster dial clockwise to increase the setting, the adjuster plate rises accordingly, pushing up on the blade. This force overcomes the TTO spring which resides in the bottom of the razor (or a similar spring apparatus on other adjustable models such as the bottom-dials and toggles).

I don't think Gillette ever specified whether one is supposed to open the razor in order make adjustments or not. As far as design goes, I wouldn't think that the inventors would have designed a razor that has to be loosened in order to make an adjustment. Wasn't Gillette all about convenience and speed anyhow? Hope this helps Edgar:thumbup:

Edgar, I am always happy to oblige! I actually went and peeked at some instructions for the fatboy and I couldn't find any instructions to loosen it up before adjusting:wink: I think the controversy here stems from the dial being somewhat tight to adjust when the razor is locked down so most users assume that this toughness is "bad" for the razor when in reality, it is just the TTO spring making things tight.

Now that I think about it, I don't think any of the toggle instructions say anything special either!

Hey everyone, is Captain back and accepting razors for restoration?

Can someone please PM me his email details...I sent him a PM but want to
email him in case he checks that more frequently...as I haven;t seen him post here
in a while (last visit: Jan 2018).

Hey everyone, is Captain back and accepting razors for restoration?

Can someone please PM me his email details...I sent him a PM but want to
email him in case he checks that more frequently...as I haven;t seen him post here
in a while (last visit: Jan 2018).
[email protected]
Usually takes couple of days to respond.
Please be patient!

Top Bottom