What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Fat boys are a Gillette classic. I have one and it shaves great like all of the Gillette vintage DE razors. I sent mine to Razor Emporium for a refurbish. I had it plated in Rhodium. If I had it to do again I'd do a bi-color Rhodium and Gold The very top and handle Rhodium and the middle and dial would be Gold. Man it would look great

I just got Frankenfatty back today, from Cappy' s spa treatments. He is in shave shape now. Thanks again. I do see the problems you mentioned. One door has an enlarged hole, where the t-bar's pin goes. And that t-bar pin is barely a nub. If I was any good at silver soldering, I could possibly fix both. I'm debating on whether to sacrifice a messed up E-2 that has a loose handle, and broken 1-9 adjuster spring. The doors look good and the t-bar is in good shape. Frankenfatty might stop having problems if I do that.

Glad to hear that Frank made it back, he definitely needed a tune up. He was very clean after the pass around though! This goes to show that it takes years and years of daily use to plug these things up! If you ever found a donor that you would be willing to utilize on Frank, I think he would be just another user grade DE like you say. Perhaps he's better off with his oddities! I have him a test shave before sending him out and despite the looks and what it might seem, he actually does a fine job of whacking some whiskers!

Top Bottom