What's new

Gillette Fatboy - broken or fine?

Is it broken?

• Yes

• No

• Some were like that, it's so rare you can still them for $1M!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I recently picked up a Fatboy I'm certain has something wrong with it.

If you're familiar, the fatboy tto knob goes an extra quarter to half turn at the end to snug down the blade. Every Fatboy I've encountered does this with a discernable end where you can feel it'll go no further without damaging it.

This one I've just picked up will snug down tight, and then CLICK if you go a hair further and become loose again. You can just keep turning to the right infinitly...snug, click, loose... snug, click, lose and so on.

Oddly all I found on the net was an old post here where it seems most comments didn't seem to get the problem, and another response where someone had one that did it and thought it was normal, followed by people thinking theirs were broken because theirs didn't click.

Thoughts?

It’s not right. I cannot remember exactly, but the twist to open shaft can be over/ under turned during assembly. The full range of adjustments might not be available either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not right. I cannot remember exactly, but the twist to open shaft can be over/ under turned during assembly. The full range of adjustments might not be available either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. It hits the adjustments up and down ok. I'm wondering if it's repairable or just ship it back.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It is certainly in need of repair. Unless you want to invest in a repair, the better approach might be to return it. Lots of working Fatboys out there.

R

romsitsa

I'd say the center rod or insert is worn out. The inside of the TTO knob is threaded, another threaded insert fits into it. The center rod sits in the insert and moves when the knob is turned. So it can't/shouldn't move around infinitely.
Some pics of a Slim, the mechanism is the same:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sounds like a stripped thread when it finally tightens, over time and possible thousands of tightening's it finally got weak in that area possibly. I would just tighten just before it clicks as you described and stop. You could remove and check things out or send it to get repaired.

Top Bottom