What's new

Gillette Fat-handled Tech

Well this is my first post. I got interested in safety razors a while back and discovered an old Gillette at a local antique store for $6.....brand new. I ordered up a couple packs of Feathers and have not looked back.

For the past week I have been reading and reading trying to figure out what this old Gillette really was....today I finally discovered it is a fat handled tech....and wanted to thank this forum for all the fun reading....

So here is the razor.

proxy.php

Now I want to know about this packaging....I searched and searched here and have yet to see this packaging...I found several other posts with much more deluxe packaging, so what is this one? Military? No date codes on this one, just the "pat number on box"....making this a '39-'42 era razor if my study was correct.

I have to say I like this razor quite a bit (I mostly have a beard and only shave my neck and cheeks, straight razor on the weekend to cut the nice line, and until this Gillette, a cheap disposable in the shower to keep my neck clean during the week).

Now, after a week of reading, I ordered a 100 Feathers, 25 Denby's and am off to make a better brush (Golden Nib), order soap, and maybe a slant...etc:biggrin:

What a great place.....

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B. Some members swear the fat tech with a feather blade is the best shaving combo out there. Personally, I haven't tried that combo, but the fat handled is my standby travel razor and without question, it is one of the most forgiving razors money can buy, at any cost. It is one of my favorites. P.S. nice pics (your shave cream looks a bit thin, you may want to check out some of the soap and cream threads). Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B. That is one fine Tech you've got. As for the Techs, this one is my favorite as I like the beefy handle.

Great pictures btw....Enjoy the shave!

Thanks....I won't reveal how I made that soap (after reading how it is supposed to be done that is:biggrin:), but let's just say it had no style...and no scent....

A new knot from Golden Nib is on order, (I am going to turn my own handle) and a tub of Lime soap is on the way to remedy my unfortunate soap issues.

Welcome to B&B. Some members swear the fat tech with a feather blade is the best shaving combo out there. Personally, I haven't tried that combo, but the fat handled is my standby travel razor and without question, it is one of the most forgiving razors money can buy, at any cost. It is one of my favorites. P.S. nice pics (your shave cream looks a bit thin, you may want to check out some of the soap and cream threads). Enjoy!
I'm one of those members that swears by this razor. I've only used Red Pack Personna blades with this razor and it works very well for me. I have to agree with Darjeeling when he says it is one of the most forgiving razors money can buy. Good luck with your fat tech, may your shaves be amazing!

What a great buy! That razor really does look brandy new! I'm curious about the soap you made too. If you used tallow I'd like your recipe as I'm thinking of having a go at shaving soap making myself and prefer soap to smell like soap. Real soap.

Well Rick I hate to disappoint you but that is just some liquid handsoap I whipped up...I have been out of shaving soap for about the past year. I mostly did not care much until I got this Tech....and found this place:rolleyes:

Now it seems I have to try some TABAC or a host of other products. I am not sure I should have actually found this place...my wallet is already begging me to stop reading.

Anyone with any comments of this old packaging?

Now it seems I have to try some TABAC or a host of other products. I am not sure I should have actually found this place...my wallet is already begging me to stop reading.

That's not all that bad. Wait until you wake up and see your credit card dancing on the keyboard...:biggrin:

I too purchased a tech fat handle last month at a flea market for 3.00 and it cleaned up in very good condition. I couldn't believe the shave, it was fantastic. I took it with me on a trip this week along with my Red Pack Israeli's. I have a Merkur HD, Progress, Futur, and an asortment of Gillettes and definitely the Tech is in my rotation. ENJOY YOUR TECH:thumbup:

I have a few techs like that (but not gold plated) and I really like it although it is quite light compared to me 38C daily driver. with a sharp blade (Astra or Feather) it is a nice shaver. And I may stand corrected on this but I believe that the Techs with the triangle shaped openings in the guard are preferred by collectors vs those with rectangle slots. nice find, enjoy the shaves.

and sorry, I do not have any info on the packaging ...

Welcome! Nice Old Spice mug!! But beware, there is no turning back!!:smile:

Thanks, I have had that mug and bore brush since the 70's. I do miss the old soap.

No kidding about not turning back.....I am hooked on sharp. I am keeping my beard though, not getting all crazy.

I really don't know what caught my eye about that old Tech...but I sure do like how it just glides the whiskers off. I am not quite into the BBS on my neck......yet that is.

Last edited:
I love my old 40's fat handled Tech. It's tarnished, well used, and not much to look at. But ohhhhh, if this razor could tell me stories of it's life over the years. More so than other razors in my shave den, I trust this one and my SS to consistently produce a DFS worry free result.

I have a few techs like that (but not gold plated) and I really like it although it is quite light compared to me 38C daily driver. with a sharp blade (Astra or Feather) it is a nice shaver. And I may stand corrected on this but I believe that the Techs with the triangle shaped openings in the guard are preferred by collectors vs those with rectangle slots. nice find, enjoy the shaves.

and sorry, I do not have any info on the packaging ...

I have read that the Techs with the triangular slots in the base plate are more aggressive than the post-WWII techs.

I have a near-identical, nickel-colored Tech that I picked up on eBay. It came complete with a 1949 Gillette Blue Blade, with no signs of rust on it. The blade even has gunmetal bluing on it, just like the Treet Black Beauty, a blast from the past! I don't intend to shave with this blade, however. One of these days I will clean this razor up and find out how much more aggressive it is than my Travel Tech with longer handle and an identical blade.

The packaging certainly looks military, even if the gold in the description doesn't. Perhaps it was special issue for generals and admirals.

I tried searching that stock number here and on google. I found one just like this listed for sale somewhere but no details.

It looks military issue to me...but if so, I think you are correct with Admirals and Generals getting the fat handles and gold.

I can't say anything about its agressiveness with the triangle holes, but with a Feather is certainly give me a nice trouble free shave.

Who knew $6 would lead to so much eh?

Great find. Congratulations. I like the the fat handled Techs, but a little too gentle for my liking.

It looks military issue to me...but if so, I think you are correct with Admirals and Generals getting the fat handles and gold.

I met an AF General once, but it never occurred to me to ask him what he used to shave in North Africa and Italy in 1942-43.

Schwert said:
Who knew $6 would lead to so much eh?

Mine was slightly less than than, but it has some miles on it.

In a world of insecurity, of planned obsolescence, of ephemeral plastics and other impermanency, the individual who can reach back into a more stable world, or ahead if you prefer, and come up with genuine, durable items, methods, and principles—life, to that individual, will have far greater values and pleasure.

I really don't think the world in the 1940's was any more stable than today, or less instable. These razors were designed and made to the state of the art in their day, and are survivors of all the instabilities in the world that have existed in the past 70 years. They compare quite well to the latest efforts of the marketing weenies at P&G and Gillette.

Is there another case inside the paper one? Here is a pic of my Canadian "Khaki Set" that was used in WWII. The WWI versions originally came inside another paper/cardboard box and so I believe that the WWII ones did as well. So do you also have the hard case and mirror? But then again, mine is not gold ...

proxy.php

No that little cardboard box was all there was. The razor disassembled just fit in this box.

That Canadian set is very nice....I would like to find such a case/mirror for mine.

Top Bottom