What's new

Gillette Fat-handled Tech

I just picked up a similar Fat Handled Gold Tech on eBay for 10 bucks. I slapped a Personna in there and went to town last night (my daily driver is a Merkur HD)

One thing I liked about this razor, was the fact that it was very easy on my face. I still have yet to get cut with either of my two DE's, but my Merkur w/ a sharp blade can often times take me down too close. This razor on the other hand was more mild, but still allowed me a bbs after 4 passes (2 wtg, 1 xtg, 1 atg) I'd say more than anything, and as with similiar Gillette models I've read about, proper technique will yield excellent results with minimal impact to your skin.

Great buy. I love the old patina'd gold color as well.

great razor!

I used my Brit. Tech this morning - with a Crystal - and got a great shave!

and yours is a beauty... as someone pointed out earlier, there is no turning back.
Have fun.

Thanks, I have had that mug and bore brush since the 70's. I do miss the old soap.

I've got the same Everready brush as you (might have originally been my father's) but the mug and soap are long gone. I use it more than my fancy-schmancy Rooney as its stiff bristles pick up cream from a jar more readily than softer badger hair. It's also invigorating to use.

However, I want your gold Tech. Badly. It rules. :biggrin:

I bought that old EverReady and Old Spice mug back when I started shaving in the 70's...unfortunately the old brush is just starting to shed from the centre. I may reknot it sometime with something from Golden Nib.

I have to admit I am a bit of a barbarian when it comes to shaving....for nearly 4 decades I have not done any fancy face prep etc before or after my shave. Soap...any soap I had (Old Spice in the old days, Williams, or even bar or liquid soap) for some lather, then shave neck and cheeks (one pass only...straight on Sundays, disposables the other days), no after shave...nothing.

Once I found this old Tech...I have modifed things a tiny bit...Still only a careful shave to cut a nice line under my beard on Sunday and clean off my cheeks, then shower shave with the Tech on the rest of the weekdays.

Yesterday I bought some PDP

proxy.php

I have a UK super badger knot from Tony, a couple other Tech's and PIF pack of blades on the way...

so things may change....:biggrin: The more I read here the more I realize that my simple shaving could become quite a bit more complex.

As you can see I don't have much area that needs shaving...

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks, I have had that mug and bore brush since the 70's. I do miss the old soap.

No kidding about not turning back.....I am hooked on sharp. I am keeping my beard though, not getting all crazy.

I really don't know what caught my eye about that old Tech...but I sure do like how it just glides the whiskers off. I am not quite into the BBS on my neck......yet that is.

You may get a 2 pass shave with that good looking Tech. I do XTG on my neck, then an ATG and get at least a DFS, often BBS with touch up. I, too, have a beard.

Hi Schwert,

Good to see you on here as well. With your predilection for the works of Ingram, Wheeler, May and co. I'm surprised you haven't opted to go for a straight!

Please let me know if you want to add to your shaving paraphernalia with anything from the UK.

Cheers,

Huon

Huon....sharps are sharps eh? I am helping the neighbor kid assemble a Skookum junior carver in the shot above...

I have been reading about the cheap as chips Palmolive creme....do you use that? I also am adding this old British Bakelite Tech to my lineup....it should be here soon.

proxy.php

I use a straight....not for the past few weeks though since I picked up the old Tech.

My wife bought this old Double Duck for me a year or so ago...I have cleaned it up and brought it up to speed for my neck cleanup.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
No Palmolive but I have it on my list. I use some old-formula Erasmic (with tallow) when I travel.

The Palmolive is indeed as cheap as chips over here and is supposed to give a fairly good shave. I'll probably give it a shot when I run out of Erasmic.

Let me know if you'd like to try some Palmolive. It really is cheap and I'd be happy to ship some over. I could probably part with a stick of Erasmic as well.

The Duck is a nice razor. I'm glad to see you haven't strayed too far from the 'sharp' fold.

I hope your neighbour's kid appreciates the Skookum. He is a very, very lucky boy. I've been eying up the bush tool for a while but I have more knives than I can use right now and another would be downright sinful.

Cheers!

Huon

Skookum is my favorite knife of all times....both carver and MKI are my "perfect" knives. I would not want to be without them.

I just got my two soaps and have a knot on the way to make my first badger brush....once I get these things in place I may hit you up for some of that Palmolive and/or Erasmic. I think a stick would be a nice thing to try next.

I have been thinking about a very short loft small brush for travel too....

Oh my, it is much like custom knives....no end to the delights.

The Skookum does look good. I have seen reviews and posts knocking its looks but for me it is a beautiful knife and it appears to be a great user.

One day.

The Erasmic stick gives a great shave and I actually find myself looking forward to using it. I see you have picked up a Travel Tech in the Mall. I use a metal cased Travel tech as my traveling razor and I get very good shaves using it with the Erasmic.

Your Palmolive question has aroused my curiosity so I will pick up a couple of sticks to try out.

Cheers,

Huon

Top Bottom