What's new

Gillette Fat Handled Tech - my all-time favourite DE (pic heavy)

Finally found a clean fat handle for a good price. I have a bunch of regular techs, nice to get one of these.

proxy.php

^ Very nice set, I was wondering why those pics weren't here, glad you have now added them, they really show your appreciation for these razors.

I have two fat-handled Techs, a ball-end, and a travel Techs that I use with a Bulldog handle. I think I scored my first fat handle for about $5 and the other followed at about $15-20. I sent one of the Techs to my 91-year old father to use. He probably actually used one of the originals! I use my fat handle Tech as a travel razor, it fits nicely in a large pill bottle with a brush and a couple blades. Gotta love the Tech!

+1
I recently sold a black beauty, and 2 injectors that were just sitting around getting no use...cause the Tech is what I always reach for and never fails...so simple and works...if only everything in life where this way..
The only additional razor I might considering buying one day would be a flat bottom English Tech.

Great thread OP!

I bought a Travel Tech a little while ago, mated it with an EJ89 handle and quickly found I was getting shaves as good or better than a Mach 3, with no irritation, little prep and little time. I'm a bit odd in that I want my shaves to be done ASAP. I'm not willing to do a lot of prep with brushes and soaps and oils and showering first - not that it is wrong for others, but that is not my goal for shaving. The sooner I can get a decent shave - one lasting 12 hours - done, the happier I am.

And the Tech does that better than the Merkur I gave away, the EJ89 (which I still like), the Weber I tried or the Merkur slant (close shave but not for fast & sloppy work). It has done such a great job that I've already picked up a fat handle Tech...a little loose on the handle, although it tightens up nicely. May be a candidate for plumber's tape or something around the threads. I tried the head with the handle from my Weber, and it just shaves great. 12 hours later, my cheek feels like I used a Mach 3 an hour ago. I can even get a good shave on the upper lip, which had evaded me with DE razors for the last 2 years.

I can see how others might prefer a different razor, but the Tech will work for me at 5 AM, and keep my face shaved thru till evening. I have no doubts about why I now have Tech razors made in the 70s as well as WW2 or earlier - it was a design that earned its place moving razors across faces for 40 years. Simple, but darn effective! :biggrin1:

I have a number of Tech's, fat handled and ball. I find them to be excellent in every respect. Unfortunately, I think they are underappreciated in todays razor world.
When I need to shave, and a guarantee that it will be a no problem, no fuss BBS, I can always rely on my fat handle tech to rise to the occasion.
Problem is, they are so reliable and shave so well, I too, take them for granted, and spend much of my time trying to perfect shaves with lesser razors.

Seeing as how I have 30+ tech's in my collection including 14 fat's, they just don't catch my eye like they do for some of you, I've shaved with them occasionally, but I still go with my grandpa's old type ball end OC for the bulk of my shaves.

I'm thinking I will have to give them a little more face time in the future :)

Reading this threat reminded me of using my fat, so I used it for this mornings shave. Absolutely beautiful shave; can't even tell I ever had whiskers, it was so close and smooth.

I have two, one is my first DE razor a Canadian Fat Handle Tech. My second is one if found at an antique store an American Fat Handle Tech.

Wow! Just had my first tech shave and it's a beaut. Seems these really live up to the hype. I'll be back for tech Tuesdays!

It blows my mind that these razors give such an amazing shave and are so readily available for $10-20 US. If I was more frugal and less AD afflicted this would probably be my bang for the buck pick.

im wondering if a fat handle Tech is functional equivalent to a Feather ASD2. I went de, Feather Popular w/Feather blades, to avoid ingrown hairs. Been thinking to upgrade to ASD2 just for nicer feel. But from this thread, the comf low agressive shave of Tech seems like it woukd do what i want out of a ASD2. Have also been thinking SS 40s style or flaretip but been thinking recently to go nontto and i like the fat handle look.

im wondering if a fat handle Tech is functional equivalent to a Feather ASD2. I went de, Feather Popular w/Feather blades, to avoid ingrown hairs. Been thinking to upgrade to ASD2 just for nicer feel. But from this thread, the comf low agressive shave of Tech seems like it woukd do what i want out of a ASD2. Have also been thinking SS 40s style or flaretip but been thinking recently to go nontto and i like the fat handle look.

I had an ASD2, my prewar Tech with ATT Kronos handle works better for me. The ASD2 is a really nice razor, just wasn't for me...

Top Bottom