What's new

Gillette Fat Handled Tech - my all-time favourite DE (pic heavy)

The English Flat Bottom Tech is one of the best Techs out there. Shaves a touch more efficiently than all but the Canadian Pre-war Triangle Slot, the German #34 and the pinnacle of Techs, the Hybrid Tech/NEW.

Definitely a wonderful razor that has a place in my rotation.

View attachment 1033074
It looks just like my FHT.
I am going to borrow an ultrasound cleaner from a friend and see if I can get it properly cleaned.
IMG_20191123_145139.jpg
IMG_20191123_145157.jpg

One of my all time favorites and I paid only 10 Euros :)

It looks just like my FHT.
I am going to borrow an ultrasound cleaner from a friend and see if I can get it properly cleaned.
View attachment 1037729View attachment 1037730

One of my all time favorites and I paid only 10 Euros :)
That is very very nice!!!
I'd sure like to get my hands on one of
Those ( preferably identical to the photo)
I never run into them here on BST or on
The bay in good condition at SENSIBLE
PRICES.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

I
A beautiful Flat Bottom Tech! This is one of my all time favorites, too.

I am very happy that you found this one, and in such good condition.
I bought it a while ago when a friend in a Swedish forum had some razors to sell.
It was not a hard choice between a Fatip for 13 Euros and this Fat Handle Tech for 10 Euros ;)

Spekeröd is a "parish" just outside the small town of Stenungsund.
It's on the westcoast of Sweden, appr 35 km north of Göteborg (Gothenburg).
Thanks Bro
That is very kool.
I'm really enjoying the international flavor
Of Traditional Shaving. I guess you could
Call me a location Enthusiast, I honestly
Do actually get a kick out Learning the
Type of knowledge you've just posted.
Thanks again.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I

I bought it a while ago when a friend in a Swedish forum had some razors to sell.
It was not a hard choice between a Fatip for 13 Euros and this Fat Handle Tech for 10 Euros ;)

Both are very good razors and would be excellent shavers. My RAD makes it hard to resist. ;)

proxy.php

Gillette made several models under the Tech name but this particular model, the fat handled Gillette Tech, is my all-time favourite DE-razor - I just love it :001_wub:

There is a little disagreement as to when it was produced. Some sources say 1938-1941 and others 1939-1942, but it really doesn't matter to me if it is one year to either side.
The model was produced in both the USA and England and offered in nickel or gold plating.
I know that some have been replated in chrome, but I am unsure if it was offered in chrome plating originally, so if anyone has this knowledge please let me know.

Below: The two on the left are English models and the two on the right American models
proxy.php

I don't know if this general or just a difference in the ones I've got, but the bottom of the handle is more rounded on the English (bottom) than on the American (top)
proxy.php

English on the left and American on the right
proxy.php

Despite having such a short life span, the model came in two designs of the head; one with straight holes in the base plate and one with sort of triangular holes in the base plate.
The safety bar has a very tight line pattern on the upper side.

proxy.php

proxy.php

What makes this model stand out to me is the design of the handle. It is nice and thick with a very distinctive pattern.
The upper 1/4 of the handle almost resembles the columns found on ancient temples with vertical smooth lines/grooves.
The lower 3/4 of the handle continues the lines/grooves but they have a special herring-bone or criss-cross pattern.

proxy.php

Despite for the sturdy looking handle, the razor isn't heavy as the handle is hollow. Some people who like a heavier handle, puts weight into the handle in form of sand, lead or other suitable material. One of the razors I've got, came with very small stones in the handle.

Why is this my favourite DE?

Because I really like the design of the handle which is quite special. Gillette also made a model with a thin handle in a similar pattern, but somehow it doesn't aesthetic has the same appeal to me. It is like the pattern doesn't fit the thin handle just as well.
The head gives a very nice and smooth shave and it is not fuzzy about which brand of blade goes into it, it will deliver a good shave every time - at least in my experience. It is a mild razor and I like that it isn't hard on the skin.
The balance of the razor is really good too and I like the weight it has per factory and has found no need to make it more heavy.

And just to elaborate on the shaving properties; I have made a direct comparison of this razor with Mühle's R41 (2011 head). Both razors where equipped with a new Feather blade and I then shaved one half of my face with the Tech and the other with the R41. The result was that both razors gave me a BBS, and neither razor shaved closer than the other in either of the passes, they where equal during the whole shave.
But after the shave I could feel the side the R41 had shaved (no irritation or razor burn), but I felt nothing on the side the Tech had shaved.

proxy.php

Should I mention a modern razor which would come close to this particular model of the Tech, it would be the Merkur 34 HD. It is heavier, but the handle size and balance is somewhat equal to the Tech and although it got a nice criss-cross pattern of the handle, it just isn't as appealing to me as the Fat Haree a super razor plus a nice comparison

Thanks for the comparison btwn Brit and Yank great razors....

My first post here and I'm bumping this!

I just got one of these for about 45 euros, don't know if that's a good price or not, BUT, this one seems to be unused, still in the black plastic box, and the two top pieces, whatever they are called, are still wrapped together in plastic. The plastic must be very old, it's very brittle and breaking when I try to open it, so the condition of this is very good I think.

It's the English version with the straight holes.

This is my first vintage razor, will be nice to try it out.

I just got one of these for about 45 euros, don't know if that's a good price or not, BUT, this one seems to be unused, still in the black plastic box, and the two top pieces, whatever they are called, are still wrapped together in plastic. The plastic must be very old, it's very brittle and breaking when I try to open it, so the condition of this is very good I think.

All of us in this forum say you're gonna love it 😉

OOOOOO....we want to see pics!!

Sounds exciting! NOS FH Tech!

Spekeröd is a "parish" just outside the small town of Stenungsund.
It's on the westcoast of Sweden, appr 35 km north of Göteborg (Gothenburg).
I have several Fat Handles, both Nickel & Gold. They are among my favorite Techs. All are the US version.
Fat Handle Techs.jpg
My Family came to America about 1664, from Mora Parish, which was still part of Finland at the time, but from what I can ascertain, is more culturally Swedish.

Last edited:
I have several Fat Handles, both Nickel & Gold. They are among my favorite Techs. All are the US version.
View attachment 1108642
My Family came to America about 1664, from Mora Parish, which was still part of Finland at the time, but from what I can ascertain, is more culturally Swedish.
Mora is a town in Dalarna county, and it has never belonged to Finland. Finland was a part of Sweden for many years, also in the 17th century.
If you never been to Sweden I can tell you Dalarna county is very very beatiful 😊

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Might as well close up shop now — can’t do much better than what you now have! You’ll save hundreds, maybe thousands of Euros trying to beat it. (You can’t).

Top Bottom