What's new

Gillette Fat Handled Tech - my all-time favourite DE (pic heavy)

Once upon a time,...

1. I started DE wet shaving with a band new, shiny E.J. DE89 "Barley Chrome" handle razor: Very nice and safe learning experience! Felt like a kid the day I bought my very own DE razor! I will always cherish my 1st DE razor, but I have since retired it to a nostalgic "first love" showpiece on my shelf.

2. As a pompadour-wearin', mid-century modern lifestyle devotee (you should see our home decor!), I found and purchased a very nice N.O.S. 1960 (F3) "Post-War" Ball End Tech: Blew my DE89 away for smoothness, efficiency, and overall feel! Plus having the original vintage box and some vintage Gillette Blue Blades just made it fun to own and display. The original nickel finish on Tech is pristine!

3. Not really on the "hunt" but happened across a "Pre-War" (1938-1945 no date code) Nickel Plated, Triangle-Slot, Fat Handle Tech while antiquing with my lovely wife. Clearly a "well used" instrument with some plating wear and signs of it's age, but with absolutely no dents, dings, or mechanical degradation of any sort. A vintage piece with real "Character", I thought to myself! Took it home and carefully cleaned it up and set it beside my two "shiny" razors for a day or so. Felt compelled to keep picking it up and contemplating who has used this and how many wonderful shaves has it given over the course of its ~80 year lifespan? Perhaps it was used on some gentleman's wedding day!!! ...or was it passed on from a father to his son on some momentous occasion? For my Sunday morning shave before church (my favorite shave of the week, where I can take my time and enjoy the moment), I loaded a Gillette Silver Blue blade in the old Fat Handle Tech and proceeded to have the absolute best and most personally satisfying shave of my life! Even more efficient than the pristine N.O.S. 1960 Ball-End Tech, the Fat Handle required only one concentrated pass with clean-up (although I kept lathering up and smoothing over the neck areas just because it felt so darn good)! This razor just has a great weight distribution (yes even with the hollow brass handle) and also has the most audible feedback among my three razors, which I rely heavily upon during my shaves. Even with the excessive buffing (that was not required), I came away with a magnificent and most memorable shave and no redness or irritation in any way.

4. It it possible to have found one's "destination razor" after only three attempts? I can say, without hesitation, that I have found mine in my old Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech! Was considering having it re-plated, but it's well-warn vintage character are just too full of untold stories to cover up! I can only hope and pray that it has another 50+/- years of life to give in my tender care!

5. With the Pre-War Gillette Tech fulfilling it's rightful place of distinction as my "destination razor", is the story over for me? Heck no! ...now I can have a blast playing with Brushes, Soaps, Blades,... and live happily clean-shaven ever after!

Cheers!

Gillette Per-War Fat Handle Tech .jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Once upon a time,...

1. I started DE wet shaving with a band new, shiny E.J. DE89 "Barley Chrome" handle razor: Very nice and safe learning experience! Felt like a kid the day I bought my very own DE razor! I will always cherish my 1st DE razor, but I have since retired it to a nostalgic "first love" showpiece on my shelf.

2. As a pompadour-wearin', mid-century modern lifestyle devotee (you should see our home decor!), I found and purchased a very nice N.O.S. 1960 (F3) "Post-War" Ball End Tech: Blew my DE89 away for smoothness, efficiency, and overall feel! Plus having the original vintage box and some vintage Gillette Blue Blades just made it fun to own and display. The original nickel finish on Tech is pristine!

3. Not really on the "hunt" but happened across a "Pre-War" (1938-1945 no date code) Nickel Plated, Triangle-Slot, Fat Handle Tech while antiquing with my lovely wife. Clearly a "well used" instrument with some plating wear and signs of it's age, but with absolutely no dents, dings, or mechanical degradation of any sort. A vintage piece with real "Character", I thought to myself! Took it home and carefully cleaned it up and set it beside my two "shiny" razors for a day or so. Felt compelled to keep picking it up and contemplating who has used this and how many wonderful shaves has it given over the course of its ~80 year lifespan? Perhaps it was used on some gentleman's wedding day!!! ...or was it passed on from a father to his son on some momentous occasion? For my Sunday morning shave before church (my favorite shave of the week, where I can take my time and enjoy the moment), I loaded a Gillette Silver Blue blade in the old Fat Handle Tech and proceeded to have the absolute best and most personally satisfying shave of my life! Even more efficient than the pristine N.O.S. 1960 Ball-End Tech, the Fat Handle required only one concentrated pass with clean-up (although I kept lathering up and smoothing over the neck areas just because it felt so darn good)! This razor just has a great weight distribution (yes even with the hollow brass handle) and also has the most audible feedback among my three razors, which I rely heavily upon during my shaves. Even with the excessive buffing (that was not required), I came away with a magnificent and most memorable shave and no redness or irritation in any way.

4. It it possible to have found one's "destination razor" after only three attempts? I can say, without hesitation, that I have found mine in my old Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech! Was considering having it re-plated, but it's well-warn vintage character are just too full of untold stories to cover up! I can only hope and pray that it has another 50+/- years of life to give in my tender care!

5. With the Pre-War Gillette Tech fulfilling it's rightful place of distinction as my "destination razor", is the story over for me? Heck no! ...now I can have a blast playing with Brushes, Soaps, Blades,... and live happily clean-shaven ever after!

Cheers!
Great post. I find myself, as well, contemplating the history of a vintage razor, wondering about whose hands bought it, used it, and forgot it. How did it end up with me? After using an aluminum handle British Tech for years before joining B&B, I got a few Techs and was duly impressed with a Canadian model of the vintage like yours, that may be something to search around for now that you think you've reached your razor destination ...

Great post. I find myself, as well, contemplating the history of a vintage razor, wondering about whose hands bought it, used it, and forgot it. How did it end up with me? After using an aluminum handle British Tech for years before joining B&B, I got a few Techs and was duly impressed with a Canadian model of the vintage like yours, that may be something to search around for now that you think you've reached your razor destination ...

Indeed!
I think there is "room" for company within a "destination razor" category.
I will most certainly now selectively search for "variants" of my Pre-War Fat Handle Triangle-Slot Tech: Contract Tech, British Tech, Canadian "1932" Tech, Gold Plated Pre-War Fat Handle Tech, etc....
It's a never-ending story, for sure!

I have been using my '54 FH Canadian Tech (oval slots) exclusively for about a month just getting the technique down. I am on my 3rd shave with a BiC chrome platinum and it is a fine combo indeed.

Was the fat handled tech really only produced from 1938 to 1941? Only 3 years? If so there sure are a lot of them out there.

I have multiple techs. I love them all but I prefer the 1960 and prior solid brass techs. I just prefer the longer and heavier handle.

I have been using my '54 FH Canadian Tech (oval slots) exclusively for about a month just getting the technique down. I am on my 3rd shave with a BiC chrome platinum and it is a fine combo indeed.

My understanding (from my research) was that the Made in U.S.A. Pre-War Fat Handle Techs, with the triangular shaped slots and no date codes, were produced from 1938 through 1955. They are all brass (handle, guard, and cap) and nickel plated (as well as some gold plated ones).

Even so, with only 8 years of production, Gillette must have cranked out one heck of a lot of these timeless beauties -- luckily for us!!!

Every morning for over four decades this was my razor, it was a gift from my Uncle. Over the last few years I've collected several both pre and post war, and gifted some to my Grandsons and friends. I just scored a prewar Canadian fat handle on the bay this morning from one of our members. It looks to be in nice shape and I'm looking forward to some nice shaves with it. Add a little vintage Williams, and some Bootleggers Bay Rum, a Personna Red, and see what happens. :thumbup1:

I enjoy my techs very much as well!
Do you guys know any info about British flat bottom slotted head?
proxy.php

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Nice looking razor 😊
My British Fat Handle Tech's baseplate and top cap looks a bit different.
I find my Fat Handle a little bit more aggressive/efficient than my British Ball End, but I love them both

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
proxy.php

The English Flat Bottom Tech is one of the best Techs out there. Shaves a touch more efficiently than all but the Canadian Pre-war Triangle Slot, the German #34 and the pinnacle of Techs, the Hybrid Tech/NEW.

Definitely a wonderful razor that has a place in my rotation.

1948 British Tech fat handle No44.jpg

I shaved yesterday evening with my favorite old prewar, and once again was left with a smile. For such an unassuming razor, I have to admire how well it still performs. Generations will unfortunately pass it by in a market now offering an overwhelming array of choices available. I have and use many other razors, but this is where it all started for me, and it continues to deliver that "you bet" feeling as I splash on some Clubman (with a smile) :thumbup:

I've got numerous ball-end Techs, both pre & post war, and was admiring a Canadian Fat Handle posted elsewhere here. I also have a contract handle Tech, and just finished rehabbing a Bakelite Handle pre-war that was pretty neglected & beat up, but shaves like new - put on a coat of new nickel & it now looks more respectable, despite numerous pits & fleabites.

There's a Pre-War Nickel Fat Handle on the way to me. It came as part of a sale including a like-new looking Made Rite Badger brush. The razor looks to be as-new condition, but I don't know yet whether it's Canadian or US. I'll be waiting for delivery this coming Tuesday so I can get it further ID'ed, cleaned up & test shaved.

I'll put it up against either an Old Type, or maybe the Bakelite refurb in a left vs right side shaveoff to see where it will fit in my rotation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom