What's new

Gillette Fat Handle Tech Revisited

Saturday, I decided to try my father's old Fat Handle Tech again. My previous experience was a smooth, mild, shave that was a bit too mild for my tastes. I set it aside for other razors, but Saturday is the day I usually experiment with my shaves, and so I gave it another try. I had loaded it with a Bic when I put it away, and figured the sharper blade would make some difference.

Turns out it made a lot of difference.

I did a three-pass with VDH Luxury shaving soap. Noticed the first shave was mighty close. The lather was a tad thick, but I added too much water for the 2nd pass, so I ended up with mild irritation. Did a third pass anyway, used Aqua Velva for the menthol, and made it fine until I started sweating doing yard work.

Sunday I tried it again, this time with better lather. The result was a smooth, close, comfortable shave with next to no irritation. Had very little visible stubble at the 12 hour mark.

This morning, due to time, I opted for a one-pass shave with Gillette Foamy™. Had a close, comfortable, shave. By now it's been ten hours, and while I have stubble, it's not the infamous 5 O'Clock Shadow. My guess is my wife won't make a comment on how my beard grew (a non-wife approved shave) this evening.

I really like the results with the Bic blade. This seems to be a good combination.

Get a tuck of Feathers or Gillette Blacks (India)

These were made for mild razors like the Tech

proxy.php

I'm running a Feather in my postwar Fat Handled Tech, and finding the mix of the mild razor and the very sharp blade to work well.

I prefer Feathers in milder razors such as the Tech and Star DE. They really make a difference compared to my usual GSBs or Polsilvers. I just picked up a tuck of KAIs so I'm going to try them in the Tech, as well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like the fat handled tech. It is the first razor that I used when I started this journey of the trials and tribulations of DE shaving. I found it to be a great razor for me. I was using my grandfathers and with a Wilkinson sword it gave me great shaves. I might have to revisit it in the not to distant future.

I too use Bic blades in my FHT. I seem to get great comfortable shaves with this combination. The Bic blades seem to last ages. I can easily get 10-15 shaves with one.
I tried a Bic blade in an OC New once and it was far too aggressive and rough for me. My face was really sore afterwards.

I have quite a few varieties of Techs, and enjoy (most of) them. I found them good when I started to experiment with different blades and soaps, and still find them great years later after increasing in experience.

Update:

I've been pressed for time in the mornings this week, and have opted for a one-pass shave with the Fat Handle Tech and Bic blade. I would have preferred to use shaving soap, but reached for the can of Edge™ shaving gel (gel is not my favorite, but gives moderately better results than canned foam). I've been getting DFS all week. My wife did look close at my stubble one evening, but it wasn't even the dreaded 5 O'Clock Shadow length, and said nothing.

This is great. One-pass like this is a great time saver, and better than my usual go-to cartridges. Will be moving the Tech to the front as a go-to razor.

I like BIC Platinums in all my Techs, but have been going thru a rotation with other less-used blades to evaluate my Cremogena soap blend. It makes all different blade/razor combos I've tried the past 2 weeks yield perfect shaves.
I discovered an old can of the Walmart Generic Edge Gel & squirted some into a bowl and brush lathered it. While I was impressed with the quick slick, close & smooth shave, I got a lot of derision from snooty, big-spender purists looking down their noses at my choice. Gotta say, a couple of them have really looong noses!

I also liked the BiC blade in both of my Techs right off the first pull. A batch of 100 is placed in my cart awaiting me to pull the trigger...just checking to see if the 7:00 greens will also have a 3rd to go along with.

Techs are legend....ary

In particular, I find the pre-war fat handle tech with the triangular lather slots, is (for me) the ultimate sweet-spot razor! I use Gillette Silver Blues for a great, yet irritation-free shave every time! ...and mine is well-worn with plenty of brass peaking through the remaining original nickel plating (as something ~ 80 years old should be)! Just adds to its vintage charm! Put a good sharp blade in that Tech and shave on!

Last edited:
In particular, I find the pre-war fat handle tech with the triangular lather slots, is (for me) the ultimate sweet-spot razor! I use Gillette Silver Blues for a great, yet irritation-free shave every time! ...and mine is well-worn with plenty of brass peaking through the remaining original nickel plating (as something ~ 80 years old should be)! Just adds to its vintage charm! Put a good sharp blade in that Tech and shave on!

proxy.php
my favourite tech as well. Mine was the gold tech, but not much gold left now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Close your eyes and look back to when the original owner first removed this razor from the box and gave it his first shave.

While it looks old, tired and worn today, it will still be willing and able to give you that same quality shave as it did way back then when it was brand new.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Greatest daily DE razor ever made, the Tech.
I also liked the BiC blade in both of my Techs right off the first pull. A batch of 100 is placed in my cart awaiting me to pull the trigger...just checking to see if the 7:00 greens will also have a 3rd to go along with.

Techs are legend....ary
proxy.php

Nice to see that the Tech still gets this much respect and admiration.

Just picked up a Contract Tech. Getting it cleaned up and plan on shaving with it very soon. :)

I really like the Tech! :)

proxy.php

Strictly speaking if I'm seeing the handle correctly that looks like the Ebonized Tech released in fall '41 rather than a Gold Tech.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom