What's new

Gillette Fat Boy - What's your number?

What's your number?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Me? I'm at a 5 but not sure it's working for me. I still seem to get a closer shave with my SuperSpeed. Any suggestions?

I'm curious as to what everyone else is using.

Thanks.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three..............

Not to hijack this thread, but does any know what # setting on a fatboy corresponds to the shave delivered by a SS red tip? I have both but haven't used the red tip yet. Thanks.

jim

I use 5 for my first 2 passes then I shift to 7 for the last. During T&C I shift to 9 for spot clean up. The less the beard the more blade needed.

I use 5 for my first 2 passes then I shift to 7 for the last. During T&C I shift to 9 for spot clean up. The less the beard the more blade needed.

Ouch! Is your nickname "Leatherface" perhaps?

Just kidding of course, but do you have any problems with burn or irritation at those settings?

I made one pass with the fatboy set at 5 and it felt like I was removing a layer of skin. No blood, but I dialed it down to 3 immediately.

jim

I dont know if I should post this but...

"9"'s for me.
Maybe temporarily but I just had THE best shave of my life.
I'll check back later to let you know how its been going. :wink:

Ouch! Is your nickname "Leatherface" perhaps?

Just kidding of course, but do you have any problems with burn or irritation at those settings?

I made one pass with the fatboy set at 5 and it felt like I was removing a layer of skin. No blood, but I dialed it down to 3 immediately.

jim

Well 9 is just for touch up so it is not a whole pass. No I haven't had too much in the way of problems like that. Remember you need to use a very light touch. If you press then of course you would gouge or scrape. If you glide over top then no problem.

3 is pretty much my base setting, though I go higher depending on the blade manufacturer, which pass I'm on, and how many shaves are on the blade.

5 for the first two passes, then down to 3. It's weird, but on my slim adjustables, I start at 5 and then go up to 7. For some reason, that method doesn't do it for me with the fat boy...

I tried a start at 7 today and then to 5,4,3. Under my chin is the hardest..maybe I should try to dial back up for that.

I started shaving with a fatboy about a month ago. The experience is documented in a post from 10/29/06. I ended up that day on 4. For the next 3'ish weeks, I did a N-S, then a S-N, then touch ups...all on 4. Then it got to the point that I dropped the initial N-S pass. A few days after that, 4 didn't seem aggressive enough and I have now gone to 5.

The bottom line is that my beard and skin seem to be getting used to the DE thing. If it gets to the point that shaving on 5 seems to becomes overly conservative, I will go to 6. I guess the highest setting that doesn't result in unacceptable bleeding is the best setting. This would result in less passes which should result in less chance of razor burn.

LZ

P.S.- This was all done with Derby Extra blades.

Top Bottom