What's new

Gillette Fat Boy Repair Question - Doesn't Adjust

I purchased a Fat Boy online, but when I received it, I noticed that although the adjustment knob rotates from 1 to 9, it doesn't seem to raise and lower the adjuster base (or whatever that part that goes up and down is called). The people I bought it from have already refunded the money, but I told them I might be interested in only a partial refund if the razor could be repaired.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with it, and what it would take to fix it? Thanks.

Regards,
Bill

Sounds like a stuck mechanism inside. Could there be broken parts too.
Your best bet would be to contact Captain Murphy, who could possibly fix it for you. He is the best one around when it comes to such repairs.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes!!! What tonich said /\/\/\/\/\/\/\. I can vouch for both of these men's work. Capt. Murphy & Chris Evatt are both top notch men and a pleasure to deal with.

Good advice so far. You could also try to soak in boiling hot water with Dawn dish soap. Keep replacing the water to keep things hot and soapy. It may take a couple of days. Keep trying the adjustment to see if it moves.

It may also be in a condition referred to as being "underclocked". This happens when someone turns the adjustment knob down to 1 then continues to rotate it back to 9 again. In this position, the adjuster dial will continue to move through all 9 positions but since it is below its lowest setting, it will not raise and lower the blade elevator.

If this is the case, it is only a matter of rotating the adjuster dial up to 9, then depress the dial spring with something and continue to rotate the dial over to 1 again. The razor will now work normally.

A symptom of underclock condition is when you view the four elevator posts with the doors open and they are set all the way at the bottom of the blade tray (pic illustrates these four posts) and the razor is missing the "quarter turn to lock" after the doors close. An underclocked razor will not have this additional locking turn.

proxy.php

It may also be in a condition referred to as being "underclocked". This happens when someone turns the adjustment knob down to 1 then continues to rotate it back to 9 again. In this position, the adjuster dial will continue to move through all 9 positions but since it is below its lowest setting, it will not raise and lower the blade elevator...

This could be helpful to me. I just got a couple of filthy Slims off the Bay, and gave them a long Dawn soak. The doors open well now, but one of 'em won't adjust. I'm going to give it additional soak time, but this info may be just the ticket for me.
Man this place is useful as can be!

You guy's are correct, this is the place for answers to most anything. I hope to someday absorb just a small amount of this information.

My fatboy had the same problem. I figured it out, and got it dialed in. Now she's one sweet razor. Wish they made them in an open comb

Good to hear it! - I was lucky with mine, and using WD-40 to dissolve the muck, followed by a hearty cleaning and lubrication restored the adjuster into working order. I actually had my first shave with it before realizing the mechanism wasn't sliding the tray up & down after the initial cleaning and barbicide soak. Kept wondering why it has so much blade feel, and realized the adjuster wasn't moving the adjustment plate. That was over a year ago now, and she's seen many a shaves since.

Of course my last shave with it over the weekend was actually at 9, but by choice! The Fatboys are nice shavers, maybe not a smooth as Rocky, but a great shaver nonetheless. I prefer it over my Slim and Super-Adjustable, as it always seems 'smoother' feeling than the other two. I chock it up to the additional blade bend and resulting angle, it just shaves different than the others. (For reference, I've never used the slim over 6 or 7).

Top Bottom