What's new

Gillette 'Executive' 1950 mirror replacement successful!

Hello everybody!

Recently I was lucky to acquire one of my “holy grails” the ‘Executive’ 1950 from Gillette 🤩

IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

As most of you probably know the mirror in the cases/boxes is very fragile and furthermore secured with some really bad glue when they left the Gillette factories.

These “defects” have often resulted in a cracked mirror with a bad glue spot. Of course mint/NOS examples without these flaws showing do exist but they are quite rare.

I started my research some time ago and got a bit bummed after watching this video from Matt talking about it being really difficult to replace the mirror:

I promised myself that if I one day was lucky to get a hold of a example of the ‘Executive’ with the described problems I would at least try to gather information about replacing the mirror. Maybe with a modern/better quality one but with the exact same specifications in terms of the edge and thickness if possible.

Well, today I can present the result to you. I contacted a high-end glas/mirror company here in Denmark who has been in the business for over 100 years and deliver products all over Europe. Apparently it was an easy task for them to replicate.:

IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

As you can see on the pictures it looks really good and it’s made the proper way. After I received the mirror I prepared the "slot" by cleaning it and placing double sided tape instead of using some kind of glue. My solution worked perfekt and the mirror is totally secure 👌

I was never in the market for a NOS example for 1000-1300USD so I’m really happy about the result.
I have only read about getting the mirror replaced a couple of times but I have never seen any results from other collectors. Hopefully somebody will find it interesting and maybe push them to get their own example restored.

The collector journey will continue 😅

Congratulations - a beautiful restoration 👍
Great job!
Congrats!
Mine has the glue spot. Amazing job, night and day improvement.

Many thanks to all of you 👍🏼

I can't really see how someone would do it better. To me the mirror looks original both in terms of thickness and "finish" on the edge. Furthermore I think that my solution with a well placed double sided tape combined with the small tabs gives a better solution than with the original glue from Gillette.

I don't know how the "glue"-technology has evolved the last 70 years. If someone with knowledge picked the right glue maybe "bleeding" can be avoided in the future. Honestly I didn't see any point in trying to make it more complicated than necessary, so hopefully I will be happy with the solution for many years 🤞

Looks great - how did the mirror come out of the slot? I'm tempted to go in search of a mirror source for mine

I don't know 100% since a person from the chosen company took it out, but I'm pretty sure you have to crack it and loosen small pieces depending on how well the original glue is sticking. Furthermore the two bottom "tabs" have to be bent upwards in order to tilt the new mirror in. In my experience there is a little more clearance in the bottom part of the frame, so it's better to leave the top "tabs" alone and slide the new mirror under them and adjusting the bottom ones as needed. Which is also the reason why I placed the double sided tape at the bottom after cleaning all the metal underneath for the perfect fit...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, probably I'll do the correct thing & leave it as found, since there's a spot on the ostrich also & I've never used the mirror .. but do shave with it once upon a time

Hello everybody!

Recently I was lucky to acquire one of my “holy grails” the ‘Executive’ 1950 from Gillette 🤩

View attachment 1291098
View attachment 1291100
View attachment 1291101
That is a fine looking razor. A keeper for sure!

As most of you probably know the mirror in the cases/boxes is very fragile and furthermore secured with some really bad glue when they left the Gillette factories.

These “defects” have often resulted in a cracked mirror with a bad glue spot. Of course mint/NOS examples without these flaws showing do exist but they are quite rare.

I started my research some time ago and got a bit bummed after watching this video from Matt talking about it being really difficult to replace the mirror:

I promised myself that if I one day was lucky to get a hold of a example of the ‘Executive’ with the described problems I would at least try to gather information about replacing the mirror. Maybe with a modern/better quality one but with the exact same specifications in terms of the edge and thickness if possible.

Well, today I can present the result to you. I contacted a high-end glas/mirror company here in Denmark who has been in the business for over 100 years and deliver products all over Europe. Apparently it was an easy task for them to replicate.:

View attachment 1291103
View attachment 1291104
View attachment 1291105
View attachment 1291106
View attachment 1291107

As you can see on the pictures it looks really good and it’s made the proper way. After I received the mirror I prepared the "slot" by cleaning it and placing double sided tape instead of using some kind of glue. My solution worked perfekt and the mirror is totally secure 👌

I was never in the market for a NOS example for 1000-1300USD so I’m really happy about the result.
I have only read about getting the mirror replaced a couple of times but I have never seen any results from other collectors. Hopefully somebody will find it interesting and maybe push them to get their own example restored.

That is a fine looking razor and case. A keeper for sure!

Well, probably I'll do the correct thing & leave it as found, since there's a spot on the ostrich also & I've never used the mirror .. but do shave with it once upon a time
To be honest I don’t know if I would have taken the chance if my example only had the glue mark. At this point I’m of course pretty happy that I did and now you have a little guide if you one day take the step 😉
Thanks for starting that itch that I thought had gone away. :lol:
You are very welcome 😅
No need to up grade now :)
Well done Mikkel - now to find some original foil wrapped dispensers :cool:

Doug.
Many thanks Doug. It turned out pretty great and made the set a little more complete 👌

I guess the last somewhat obtainable thing are the original foil wrapped dispensers.

Maybe one day 😀

That is a fine looking razor and case. A keeper for sure!
All in all the set looks pretty good at this point. The razor and case are by no means perfect, but I think it’s as good as it gets before “upgrading” to a NOS example. No matter what it's beautiful history 🙂

@Dyllern , my friend. That turned out marvelous! Truly beautiful piece of shaving history.

Thanks!

Considering my total expense I’m very content. Being able to give a little life to this 70 year old piece of history has also been fun and is a good achievement to remember 🙂

Hello everybody!

View attachment 1291098
View attachment 1291100
View attachment 1291101

View attachment 1291103
View attachment 1291104
View attachment 1291105
View attachment 1291106
View attachment 1291107

Thanks for sharing photos of this beautiful restoration of the mirror. Have you shaved yet with the Executive?

Thanks for sharing photos of this beautiful restoration of the mirror. Have you shaved yet with the Executive?
It's all about sharing our passion for the world of shaving 🙂

Hopefully someone will feel inspired to do the same or maybe restoring another set 🤞

I haven't shaved with the 'Executive' yet but I got quite a lot of British 'Aristocrats' and I'm pretty sure the shave will be pretty much the same because of the similar construction.

It's going to be great though 👌

Last edited:
Anyone know how to remove the whole mirror assembly? If one has a good case and a cracked mirror and a good mirror in a bad case per say...

Anyone know how to remove the whole mirror assembly? If one has a good case and a cracked mirror and a good mirror in a bad case per say...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm 99% sure that it would be impossible to swap the mirrors between two cases 😕

Gillette used glue to secure the mirror together with the small metal tabs. I'm pretty sure the only way to remove the mirror is to crack it and remove smaller pieces at a time. Furthermore I don't think the metal "door" holding the mirror can be removed without taking the case apart which would most likely introduce further damage...

I'm afraid there are only two options:

1) Leave the mirror as is
2) Investigate and see if you can find someone who can produce a new mirror like I did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom