What's new

Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech production dates

I would say from 1940 to 1948-9.

Now I have only extant photographic dated examples for this estimate, but I suspect they are not too far off.

Here is the earliest example, from 1940. It is an English Tech for the Argentine market.
proxy.php

I would suggest that the original caption on the Mr Razor Website "1940 Tech Set Argentina Made in England" is correct. It pre-dates the 1942 opening of the first Gillette factories in Argentina and Brazil in that year. By 1941 at the latest Britain was fighting for it's life, and was not exporting razors or making them for foreign markets.
France and Western Europe had fallen and the Battle of the Atlantic was in full swing.
Imports of food, oil and vital raw materials for industry were top priority for shipping.

Here is a 1943 British No.11 Tech Service Set
It is very clearly of the 'Flat Bottom' design.

proxy.php

Here is an immediate post war 1946 FBT example. Dated by the blade code it was accompanied by.
proxy.php

Here is another 1946 No 26 Set.
proxy.php

Here's a very nice 1948 No 30 Set.
proxy.php

There are several other FBT models which are dated to 1948 I could show.

I can't find a 1949 example, but I suspect the 1946-8 production was enough for the British domestic market. The FBT is not rare. They are plentiful in the UK and show up very frequently on auction sites, often at a very good price.

I suspect 1948-9 was the last year for the FBT. In 1950 the first English made Tech with the US base plate design that I could find was sold, this 1950 No. 32 Set
proxy.php

I can't find a FBT that post dates 1948, so arguably production ended in 1948 or at the very latest, '49.

Last edited:
I would say from 1940 to 1948-9.

Now I have only extant photographic dated examples for this estimate, but I suspect they are not too far off.

Here is the earliest example, from 1940. It is an English Tech for the Argentine market.
proxy.php

I would suggest that the original caption on the Mr Razor Website "1940 Tech Set Argentina Made in England" is correct. It pre-dates the 1942 opening of the first Gillette factories in Argentina and Brazil in that year. By 1941 at the latest Britain was fighting for it's life, and was not exporting razors or making them for foreign markets.
France and Western Europe had fallen and the Battle of the Atlantic was in full swing.
Imports of food, oil and vital raw materials for industry were top priority for shipping.

Here is a 1943 British No.11 Tech Service Set
It is very clearly of the 'Flat Bottom' design.

proxy.php

Here is an immediate post war 1946 FBT example. Dated by the blade code it was accompanied by.
proxy.php

Here is another 1946 No 26 Set.
proxy.php

Here's a very nice 1948 No 30 Set.
proxy.php

There are several other FBT models which are dated to 1948 I could show.

I can't find a 1949 example, but I suspect the 1946-8 production was enough for the British domestic market. The FBT is not rare. They are plentiful in the UK and show up very frequently on auction sites, often at a very good price.

I suspect 1948-9 was the last year for the FBT. In 1950 the first English made Tech with the US base plate design that I could find was sold, this 1950 No. 32 Set
proxy.php

I can't find a FBT that post dates 1948, so arguably production ended in 1948 or at the very latest, '49.
Very helpful. Thank you.
Do you know the significance of the Set No.’s ?

Very helpful. Thank you.
Do you know the significance of the Set No.’s ?
Mainly as identification of the razor sold, as well as case type and blades, if included.

Useful for advertising and clearly identifying the components of the set for customers and for internal Gillette England purposes for production and sales.

For instance the 1948 No.30 Set was quite basic, with a FBT and 5 blades, but only a cardboard case, at the economical price of 4 shillings and 8 pence.

That would be around US 65-70c in 1948 values. (1948 £1 = $4.03)

Last edited:
Hi guys, i would like to add this one. Found this specimen and used it today for the first time. Very nice, especially the extra weight in the handle and a bit more aggressive than the aluminium techs i have. I believe it s a 1948 no44B but this one was for the French market, the underside of the case says so. nice thread!! Gr. Koen.
IMG_20230616_151914.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_151003.jpg
    IMG_20230616_151003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Top Bottom