What's new

Gillette Double ring Tin on Ebay Who stole it and who blew it?

You NEVER see this Tin for sale, I can't believe it went this low, Way under valued or off the radar? Let's discuss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201419297587?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

proxy.php

I had eyes on it but at 2 hours to go I threw in the towel. I guess I wasn't ready to commit to being a true collector just yet. Ha. Call me a wannabe. Just couldn't see spending this kind of money and not getting a razor. I guess I don't truly know how much these are worth. Congrats to the winner. As we all say it's worth what someone is willing to pay. It just was not worth that to me.

I had eyes on it but at 2 hours to go I threw in the towel. I guess I wasn't ready to commit to being a true collector just yet. Ha. Call me a wannabe. Just couldn't see spending this kind of money and not getting a razor. I guess I don't truly know how much these are worth. Congrats to the winner. As we all say it's worth what someone is willing to pay. It just was not worth that to me.
+1!.
600 bucks on a tin?,way out of my league!.

Where are all my hardcore double ring fans? This went super cheap because there was no double ring in the title.

Wow! First time I've seen one.
Even my wife who collects adverting tins would love it.
Thanks for posting.

That is one beautiful art nouveau tin. I can't imagine that ever being in my price range even for a "steal" at $600, but I'm glad I got to see photos. That must have been stunning when it was new. I wouldn't mind having an affordable repro, but I suspect the market would be a little limited to produce anything like that especially considering trademark issues.

Yes, undoubtedly both unique and beautiful. :thumbup1:

Still, I will never understand the price a few things sell for. If $600 is "super cheap", just wonder at what price does this get in to the "not cheap" category?
:blink:

It's true that these DR tins are super rare. Apparently they are so rare that many razor collectors don't know about them!

For those who are not aware in 1903 the prototypes of the very first Gillette razor we now call the double ring were being sent out and tested by store owners dealers etc. The early razors were in white cardboard boxes and months later the tins showed up. I suspect about 50 tins were made (theory on historical newsletters) and quickly changed for the leather wood boxes most of you know. If you notice on the tins it says "Patented in all of the Principle countries of the world" Well they did not get the US patent until November 1904 and that may have been a reason to not use the tins as well as the tins may have cost more. We also know that many workers in the factories had these tins on their work benches holding screws and small tools, which may indicate they never really sold many in this packaging. As pictured below the blades also came with two tins I only have the one. I have seen double rings sets in the wood box go for more so this recent ebay sale was a steal. This tin is the holy grail for Gillette collectors, I know of about 25ish or so. Most tins are empty I know of only two sets which came with red felt and the two small tin blade tins inside. The seller failed to enter the tin in the razor category, he only listed it in tins. It was missed by many. I suspect some big collectors will be crying when they see this, they would have paid $1200-$1800 easily and I suspect it could have went higher. This tin is the very first packaging of the very first Gillette and thin disposable razor ever. Very historical and far more valuable to collectors than the price it went for. The second pic has the original very first blades that came in the tin. This tin had been part of other conversations here on BB in the past if you search hard.
View attachment 599982$VeryfirstA.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting history. I suspect most of us are not collectors on that level, but I do appreciate the history. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom