What's new

Gillette Double Ring goes for $770 on eBay

Amazing condition for a 1904 DR, Glenn. Great score.
Even if you won't try the pristine DR, you should definitely try the shim.
Thanks. Maybe - sure why not? I have some shims I made out of old razor blades with a scissor. Can easily adjust by adding another edge-less blade. Can't do that with the shim in this kit, so it could be a disappointment. But what the heck - nothing to lose?

A better one of this Double Ring is not likely to come down the pike any time soon though.

That's a fact. I strongly considered that piece, but then I'd have to hide it, and the bank statement! lol

Amazing set with the no serial number razor (rare enough by itself), then the matching case, etc, etc, etc...

That's a fact. I strongly considered that piece, but then I'd have to hide it, and the bank statement! lol

Amazing set with the no serial number razor (rare enough by itself), then the matching case, etc, etc, etc...
Hi Bill. I am single so I have no checks and balances on my decisions!! Only time will tell but I have no one looking over my shoulder to second guess me. Complete freedom to be stupid. Ha.

Hi Bill. I am single so I have no checks and balances on my decisions!! Only time will tell but I have no one looking over my shoulder to second guess me. Complete freedom to be stupid. Ha.
Definitely set yourself a budget. If you don't, you'll keep seeing just one more thing you want, and buying it.

I have many double ring sets with books, inspection tickets, original blades and the original tin they came in. This was an above average price which is great to see. I have never seen that shim before and I have seen never used sets in shippers with the original tissue paper they were packed with. I don't think Gillette ever offered or shipped shims with the sets but I do find it of great interest if any info develops.

I have many double ring sets with books, inspection tickets, original blades and the original tin they came in. This was an above average price which is great to see. I have never seen that shim before and I have seen never used sets in shippers with the original tissue paper they were packed with. I don't think Gillette ever offered or shipped shims with the sets but I do find it of great interest if any info develops.

Oh well. As far as the price goes, I do plan to hold it for a long while so maybe I won't get hurt. A lot of average grade sets go for $350 or so. Do you have a link for an eBay auction where a completely cherry set sold? I would love that info.

Oh well. As far as the price goes, I do plan to hold it for a long while so maybe I won't get hurt. A lot of average grade sets go for $350 or so. Do you have a link for an eBay auction where a completely cherry set sold? I would love that info.
Ebay is about timing, sometimes many sets are up and other times not many nice sets are posted for a long time If a lot of people are hunting and have money things can get emotional and you never know what happens. The good part is you have a really nice case and it is original to the razor. The very early cases after the tin had what I call a 50/50 case meaning the top and bottom are the same size, later cases had a smaller top than the bottom. All the first run razors had the Chicago ribbon as they marketed the Boston made razors and took the early production models. The ribbon is also basic as it was early, later the font was different and they added the designs on the ends. The real value, a non serial numbered razor with a booklet and blades, and case all in exceptional condition. The blades without the arrow logo are original to the set and are great to have, some of the very first blades produced. The arrow logo was not introduced until 1908 so those blades were put in there later. The last compete set I remember with a serial number to 1905 with the shipper box went for $867.00 The shipper is huge to have. Your set is missing the inspection ticket and some of the blades but has no serial number so it is not out of line at all for what you paid. You will probably never see a set this early in such great condition come up for sale for quite a while, though they are out there. My cased non serial numbered double rings are not as clean as yours by a long shot but aside from a shipper I have some mint serial numbered sets that would be valued higher. To me the early stuff is the best. The more I think about your set the more I kind of want it. Enjoy! Old link GILLETTE DOUBLE RING DE SAFETY RAZOR 1905, TRIPLE SILVER PLATED WITH SHIPPER BOX

Last edited:
Ebay is about timing, sometimes many sets are up and other times not many nice sets are posted for a long time If a lot of people are hunting and have money things can get emotional and you never know what happens. The good part is you have a really nice case and it is original to the razor. The very early cases after the tin had what I call a 50/50 case meaning the top and bottom are the same size, later cases had a smaller top than the bottom. All the first run razors had the Chicago ribbon as they marketed the Boston made razors and took the early production models. The ribbon is also basic as it was early, later the font was different and they added the designs on the ends. The real value, a non serial numbered razor with a booklet and blades, and case all in exceptional condition. The blades without the arrow logo are original to the set and are great to have, some of the very first blades produced. The arrow logo was not introduced until 1908 so those blades were put in there later. The last compete set I remember with a serial number to 1905 with the shipper box went for $867.00 The shipper is huge to have. Your set is missing the inspection ticket and some of the blades but has no serial number so it is not out of line at all for what you paid. You will probably never see a set this early in such great condition come up for sale for quite a while, though they are out there. My cased non serial numbered double rings are not as clean as yours by a long shot but aside from a shipper I have some mint serial numbered sets that would be valued higher. To me the early stuff is the best. The more I think about your set the more I kind of want it. Enjoy! Old link GILLETTE DOUBLE RING DE SAFETY RAZOR 1905, TRIPLE SILVER PLATED WITH SHIPPER BOX

Thanks for the great information about these wonderful razors, considered analysis and the link!! I mostly collect the Gillette Adjustables, but do have nice examples of other iconic razors in my collection. I have only been collecting for about 4 years and have probably missed opportunities by not being fully aware, not having full interest or just missed them - but, I had to have this set when I saw it. I knew it didn't have the shipper and tissue but was unaware of the existence of the inspection ticket or even the lack of arrow logo on the blades. Thanks so much for your great information. I am definitely enjoying the set (even more so now that I know what I paid was not out of the realm - even if it was too high I am happy to wait for the market to catch up). Thanks again. Yes I am enjoying the set; it is a little gem!

It is kind of rare from about 1904 with no serial number. Most of these had serial numbers.
To clarify this; the majority of the double rings had serial numbers and pat nov 15 04 stamped around the bottom with at least 349,591 produced. Rare is the "Pat.Apl'd For" with no serial number with somewhere in the range of 55,000 estimated produced. Rarer is the "Pat.Apl'd For" with a serial number ranging from 1 to 25,424; making these half as common as the no serial number DR's and the ones I've seen going for more than the no serial number variety.
Rarest of all so far is the no serial number "Pat.Ap.For" which seem to be the rarest with only two known and is speculated to be what is printed on the first 51 razors made in 1903.
This is, of course only about the silver sets. Although we do have a proof of at least one gold single ring serial numbered to be produced during the run of double rings, we simply don't know that they absolutely did not make a gold double ring. If one surfaces, it would be the rarest yet.

The lack of outside controls does get a bit dangerous at times... But it's so much fun!

Definitely set yourself a budget. If you don't, you'll keep seeing just one more thing you want, and buying it.
Wait... Wanting and buying is awesome! Why set yourself a budget then?

Last edited:
[QUOTE=" Although we do have a proof of at least one gold single ring serial numbered to be produced during the run of double rings, we simply don't know that they absolutely did not make a gold double ring. If one surfaces, it would be the rarest yet.[/QUOTE]

I know of three gold singles dated to 1905 but this is assuming the G in the front is for Gold and not dated to 1918iish which have had some gold singles in the engraved sets. I think it is highly unlikely they made 1918 gold razors and put them in 1905 cases. I believe the G was for gold. Phil Krumholtz the author of the Gillette book agrees but it is an arguable point.

Because otherwise you end up with 71+ razors, and you have ONE FACE.
My Collection

If only we had more faces!

[QUOTE=" Although we do have a proof of at least one gold single ring serial numbered to be produced during the run of double rings, we simply don't know that they absolutely did not make a gold double ring. If one surfaces, it would be the rarest yet.

I know of three gold singles dated to 1905 but this is assuming the G in the front is for Gold and not dated to 1918iish which have had some gold singles in the engraved sets. I think it is highly unlikely they made 1918 gold razors and put them in 1905 cases. I believe the G was for gold. Phil Krumholtz the author of the Gillette book agrees but it is an arguable point.[/QUOTE]
I agree completely, but I did not know there were two others.
I think we can take it as reasonable fact that the G razors were 1905 razors, and the G stands for gold. It is possible that the ones produced in 1904 (if there were any) were as well.
it's just something we don't yet know.

Last edited:
Sweet, looks a little small (teasing) Mine is much smaller I only have pre-1910 cased/tin razors with a specialty in double rings. Need a blade tin for the 1903 tin set if you come across one.
I cannot believe that the thread was four years ago. It's expanded since then, I need to post an update when I get it organized.
I would love to see your collection, I've got a special fondness for the very old razors too!

I cannot believe that the thread was four years ago. It's expanded since then, I need to post an update when I get it organized.
I would love to see your collection, I've got a special fondness for the very old razors too!

Mostly Kampfe. Fox, Torrey, Double rings, Yankee, Gem and some others. Late 1800's everything is a case or tin pretty much.

I'm impressed (and green with envy, of course...)... It's a beautiful perfect DR. Big congrats!

As for the price... you're not married, are you?:001_rolle:lol1:

Top Bottom