What's new

Gillette does it again -- Gillette Guard -> Gillette Guard 3

Looks like the Gillette Guard was Gillette's attempt to get India to move to an inexpensive cartridge razor, but now they're about to release the Gillette Guard 3 with a sensor strip and 3 blades which they claim has shown to be better in studies.

Next up, Gillette Guard 5 with 5 blades and a battery.

(I came across this while searching for a place to buy some Gillette Guard blades.)

I’d try them 🤷🏻‍♂️. Looks like it won’t clog nearly as easily.
How so? I though hair getting stuck between blades is a problem and the Gillette Guard 3 doesn't appear to be any different.

Also, multiple blades tends to cause ingrown hairs and cause irritation.

Last edited:
How so? I though hair getting stuck between blades is a problem and the Gillette Guard 3 doesn't appear to be any different.

Also, multiple blades tends to cause ingrown hairs and cause irritation.
From what I read, they needed to get India off of Safety Razors, as Gillette is firmly invested in disposables. This was how they planned to accomplish that within the unique limitations India posed.

The idea behind the Guard was there are many places in India where poverty was rampant and water was scarce. The 1 blade guard could handle a shave with minimal water, never gunk up to the point of disuse, and be super-cheap to make.

My guess is, the engineers on this project had a heart. They accomplished it in spades and made an awesome product that everyone wanted to use... Both in India or abroad.

I don't see this being special, other than maybe cheaper than the US 3-blade razors. The guard will still reign supreme in water scarce regions, and probably for many who like the 1 blade safety razor feel.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I wonder if they will discontinue the Guard. It was my go-to travel razor but I haven't traveled in by air since early 2018.

Top Bottom