What's new

Gillette de blades

Am I the only guy that doesnt feel any different between all the Gillette blades? I literally wouldn't be able to tell if I had a silver blue, platinum or 7 o'clock blade loaded. I just tested each blade back to back for 2 shaves each and honestly they all felt like the exact same blade..

Yes!

---The long answer:
They are made in the same facility (if you mean 7 o'clock yellow and green) and under same process.
In some razors (like Gillette Tech for example) they perform very similar.

With respect, two days per blade may miss some key aspects. For example, some blades ’require‘ a shave or two to reach their stride. I also rate blades for ‘longevity’ which I can only rate after a week or more. Just my $0.02!!

And, I really can (or think I can) detect differences between blades from Gillette’s St. Pete facility.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
SharpEdge and Astra SP are by far my favourites from Gilette. Platinums are OK, as are the greens and Nacet. Gillette Silver Blue are uncomfortable for me, and Polsilver SI is utterly abysmal in my mild razors.

I can tell a difference. My favorites are the 7 O'clock yellow and Astra. I find Astra just a little smoother than the yellows but the yellows a little sharper. I really think the Gillette Silver Blues are the best but I don't use them because they put so much of that wax on them. Makes a mess.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wish they all felt the same to me. Polsilver and Gillette Yellow are far and away the best Gillette made blades for me. GSB, that most love, are like shaving with a broken bottle.

I’ve only used 3 Gillette blades, they all performed very differently for me. I’m confident I could tell them apart if someone else loaded my razor with a random unit and tested me.

Silver Blue - very sharp but too rough, can’t handle ‘em

7 o’clock SharpEdge - sharp in a rough/odd way, can’t handle ‘em

Platinum - sharp and smooth and last 4 shaves easy. Destination blade for me.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I use 7 o clock yellow. To me they seem much sharper than other Gillette blades.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I use 7 o clock yellow. To me they seem much sharper than other Gillette blades.

Arguably the smoothest blade I've used. Gillette Green might be a tiny bit smoother but they dont cut as well as Yellow does for me.

Here is my experience.
Overall all St Petersburg blades are good.
First tier Nacet/GSB/Yellow. Very good but not as good, Astra SP and SS. Have taken all to 12-14 shaves.
Am trying a Gillette Platinum for longivity, not as good in performance to the first tier blades but seems to last, am on shave 27 Today.
Have also tried Gillette Blacks from India a solid blade for sharpness and smooth. Have not tried these for longivity. I used to throw blades after 3-5 shaves not too long ago.

To me all the gillette
With respect, two days per blade may miss some key aspects. For example, some blades ’require‘ a shave or two to reach their stride. I also rate blades for ‘longevity’ which I can only rate after a week or more. Just my $0.02!!

And, I really can (or think I can) detect differences between blades from Gillette’s St. Pete facility.

Honestly if I need to have two sub par shaves before a blade smoothed out that blade isnt any good to me. I have to shave every day and cant be dreading a new blade like I used to with a cartridge razor.

So far feathers are the only blade that shave SUPER close, have a great blade feel and glide almost effortless. They do all of this from the very first shave also!

I wish they all felt the same to me. Polsilver and Gillette Yellow are far and away the best Gillette made blades for me. GSB, that most love, are like shaving with a broken bottle.

I totally agree with you. I would pick the cheapo sample derby or tiger blades before gillette silver blues again. I will admit the platinum and 7 o'clocks were sharper than the silver blue but still felt in the same ball park and the blues

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I totally agree with you. I would pick the cheapo sample derby or tiger blades before gillette silver blues again. I will admit the platinum and 7 o'clocks were sharper than the silver blue but still felt in the same ball park and the blues

The Derby Extra blades that virtually everyone hates with a passion are still in my top blade choices. Sharp enough, very smooth with no tugging, but only good for 4 shaves. I have 265 of them left, I think lol.

The best PPI blade I've used is Polsilver. It's also among the longest lived at 20 shaves, easily.

If Feather blades lasted more than two shaves for me, they might be my only DE blade, now that I get along with them better. I mostly use SE now though, so it doesnt really matter.

I have had my best results with Silver Blue & Perma Sharp. 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge & Astra provide me consistent good to very good results. I'm new to Nacet but so far, very promising results. Haven't tried Platinums yet.

Around here most of us refer to the 7 O'clock blades by their color such as Yellows rather than the name Sharp Edge. Most of us are not going to remember all the names of the blades but it's easy to identify with the colors.

Nacets and PermaSharp Supers are so much sharper than other PPI blades that I think they are conclusive evidence that not all PPI blades are the same. These 2 are in the Feather camp whereas the rest of the PPI stable is more like mid-sharp.

Some of the other Gillette blades are close calls and in a few cases might be the same blade rebranded / repackaged for a different geography. That said, I do like Wizamets the best, even though the difference between them, GSBs, Yellows, Platinums, etc., is not huge.

The Yellows are great for me. Nice and sharp, long lasting too. The Greens not so much, a little bit dull. I can definitely tell the difference....

I'm wondering if my skin is changing or something, because lately, it seems I enjoy non-coated stainless steel blades more. Or I'm just weird.

It took me awhile to try the Gillette branded blades. Even though I knew other good blades were made by Gillette, I was biased against the Gillette brand. I now have three of them in my rotation and enjoy them all. Silver Blues, 7 O'Clock Greens and 7 O'Clock Yellows. Would like to try the Blacks. Also have the Gillette Nacets which I love. Wish I'd have tried them sooner.

Top Bottom