What's new

Gillette Cavalier set question/ other engraved razors

I picked this up last week and would eventually like to get a correct razor to accompany the rest of the set. I've got a few questions though. Does anyone on here have a set with the razor, and are the initials engraved on yours? Has someone had custom engraving done to any of their razors and if so could you post a pic or two. I've got the lid to the set its just not pictured as it has been torn from the case. I read in an original ad that sets range from $5-$75 dollars and it looked like they priced this set at $25 in the ad. Is this right and if so what set cost $75? Its a neat set I'll post a few more pictures in a bit.
$CAVALIER.jpg

Just for fun I found an inflation chart to see what these sets would cost today. $1 in 2012 is equal to $13.33 in 1928. Here is what I came up with: New Improved - $333.25 and the Deluxe set - $999.75! Wowzers

Here are my Cavalier and De Luxe sets:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gillette offered different engraving options on various set peices at an additional price (the top-end models, the New Improved De Luxe or the NEW Deluxe Aristocrat, may have included full set engraving already in the price... not sure of that, though I see plenty of Cavaliers without any engraving). Here's an example from a 1918 catalog:

$13.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm bumping this old thread. Today, I found a SIMILAR (if not the same) Gillette Black Leather snap CASE (NO Razor included) which contains two (Silver) Canisters along with two (empty) "Black/Cardboard" Razor blade holders marked GILLETTE (on the side). One Canister contains (I believe) Shaving Soap. The other Canister contains a sweeet little Gillette MINI Shaving Brush which is in near pristine condition! The Black Leather snap Case itself is in VERY good condition! I will tomorrow post photographs. Question : which Razor(s) did this (Travelers/ Combo/Deluxe/Cavalier) set offer ? From my quick research, it appears to be a Gillette New Improved Razor. Would this be (inside) the case ? Thanks for any help/information.

SixCats!

Last edited:
Hi @mr-razor,

BINGO! You are "THE Man" mr-razor! I KNEW you would have the answer!
Thank you so very much. So, mr.-razor, which Razor would be the (then included)
Razor that I would need to find in order to fill the void in this lovely Leather case ?
Also, I wonder which TYPE of Leather case I have found ? Ummmm.....
This much I can say, this vintage Leather case is in WONDERFUL condition!
Later today, I will post photographs. Thanks again for all your help/information.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hi @mr-razor,

Ahhhh, the Blades in the photo was NOT included with the SET.
So, no Blades for dating.

Ooh REV, would THIS be the Razor I should be looking to find ?

proxy.php

SixCats!

I am search this set by chance he sells this cavalier set or someone would be interested, I am desperately looking for it in excellent condition or nos

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am search this set by chance he sells this cavalier set or someone would be interested, I am desperately looking for it in excellent condition or nos
Your best bet would be to look on eBay. To use our BST forum you have to be a member for 45 days and have 50 posts. The Guidelines are found in the BST Forum at the top of the page.

Top Bottom