What's new

Gillette Carbon Steel Blades

Does the Gillette extended family of brands still produce a carbon steel blade?

I imagine that carbon steel blades were typically used in razors from the 40s and 50s (though I may be wrong about that). If correct in this assumption, I would like to try a period type of blade in my vintage razor.

I actually do have a few unused old Gillette Blue Blades (that came with my Gillette Tech), but I am keeping them unopened for sentimental reasons and don't expect them to be in optimal usable condition at this point.

I'm open to information and suggestions regarding carbon steel blades in vintage razors.

Cheers!

Last edited:
only blades made in the DE pattern are intended for industrial cutting equipment.

Although they are the correct thickness, youd want to do a little bit of finish work on the cutting edges.

Treet from Pakistan has quite a few carbon steel blade offerings.

The vintage ones can be hit or miss, most having rusted on the edges during storage.

Treet from Pakistan has quite a few carbon steel blade offerings.

The vintage ones can be hit or miss, most having rusted on the edges during storage.
the only one they admitted that was carbon steel was the treet classic. sometime between 2016 and 2017 they say they changed it to a standard stainless steel blade.

I can tell a difference in the blade. The original carbon treet classic was good for about 9 shaves before it went to "derby trash level of comfort and sharpness". The new version is good for 7 shaves

I only use vintage blades and carbon ones still in good enough condition to use are rare but I do have various ones and the best ones are Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge, they give a really great shave and a unique experience. But I'm careful about what I get.

Here's what I'm referring to
20190419_053747.jpg

I should expect that the only way to reliably experience a Gillette carbon steel is to find some of the very last ones which were sealed in plastic. I just don't know if there are many, or any, uncoated ones. Coated carbon blades in good condition can be had. I have a pack of '80s super blues. They shave great but of course they don't hold up like a stainless platinum blade.

I should expect that the only way to reliably experience a Gillette carbon steel is to find some of the very last ones which were sealed in plastic. I just don't know if there are many, or any, uncoated ones. Coated carbon blades in good condition can be had. I have a pack of '80s super blues. They shave great but of course they don't hold up like a stainless platinum blade.
I've been lucky there too. Found some, much more than those Schicks actually, in pristine shape or as close as possible.

What you have to do is time consuming, requires patience and you still might not hit paydirt. It helps to be retired like me and make it your full time job. Look for ones completely sealed, and I mean the old, brittle cellophane is still intact, and if you can ones that have spent these 50+ years in a dry climate, like Arizona. Again , if possible, the listed item description would be perfect if it read something like this..." they still are sealed in original plastic and have been kept in Tupperware in my grandfather's attic in Arizona "....

Instead of doing an Indiana Jones search just go to Ebay and buy some NOS Super Gillette Blue Blades in a sealed pckg. These are the later (post late 50's) that have a blade coating and shave light years better than earlier "bare" carbon blades.

Instead of doing an Indiana Jones search just go to Ebay and buy some NOS Super Gillette Blue Blades in a sealed pckg. These are the later (post late 50's) that have a blade coating and shave light years better than earlier "bare" carbon blades.
That's true, but still finding ones in still intact cellophane requires patience. You may never find any or you may come up with some on your first search. But Bogey is right, that's where you go first.
But the best vintage carbons weren't made by Gillette. Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge. If you find those at all you're very lucky, if they're still sealed you probably made a deal with the devil at a crossroad.

Top Bottom