What's new

Gillette Canada serial numbers

It looks almost like a double struck serial -- maybe even one that was struck upside down and then again right side up. Could it possibly have been an "L" series repair serial that they screwed up?

It looks almost like a double struck serial -- maybe even one that was struck upside down and then again right side up. Could it possibly have been an "L" series repair serial that they screwed up?
I'm not sure, but it has been suggested that it may be a hallmark of some kind, similar to these. Maybe someone had an after market plating job? Or even a repair like you mention?

While trawling other threads I came across 2 posts in this thread (posts #9 and #309) that both seem to have razors that match mine. #9 doesn't state the serial number (and judging by the poster's activity, we are unlikely to find out!) but #309 has a serial of 222440.

Coupled with the similar razor at the beginning of this thread (linking to a thread here) which has a serial number of 423760, I have so far found 4 matching examples (but none with a case) with numbers 222440, 314644, 423760 and unknown.

EDIT: Found another thread with a very similar razor here. This one has serial number 248696.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try to get a better idea of the serial number on my Canadian Big Fellow and post them. I'm almost sure it's D61622 or D616ZZ. I'll try to get a good enough pic to post in the AM.

I've got a Canadian single ring with serial #501144. I was trying to comprehend the chart but couldn't quite nail it down to find a exact or rough year for this little guy.

Also nice find Johnnie

I've got a Canadian single ring with serial #501144. I was trying to comprehend the chart but couldn't quite nail it down to find a exact or rough year for this little guy.

Also nice find Johnnie
Yours as will be classified as a numbers only set, just put it in under the numbers only section and post a pic next to it. PM me if you need help or mblakele

Here are a couple pics of the single ring. Unfortunately the to post was broke and spun freely not allowing me to take it apart but I managed to "Fix it" by tig welding it. Any who...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 148
The new wiki page Gillette_Canada_Dating_Information up to date now, I think.

Porter, if you can spare some time I would be delighted to have your expertise on assigning probable dates to the rows in the Old Type table. Ideally the rows in the table should be ordered by probable year. We could add a year column if that would help, and I am open to revising or extending the table in any way that makes sense.

Ive got a Milady thats stamped as made in Canada under the guard with 011139 or maybe it's O11139 on top of the guard. Any ideas on the date?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 146
Ive got a Milady thats stamped as made in Canada under the guard with 011139 or maybe it's O11139 on top of the guard. Any ideas on the date?

It looks like a NEW Deluxe Milady, so probably 011139 and probably ca. 1930. Does the handle list any patent dates?

Also, can you measure the bottom of the guard plate, between the teeth? I have a side interest in the 15-mm vs 17-mm NEW Deluxe question.

attachment.php

Porter, if you can spare some time I would be delighted to have your expertise on assigning probable dates to the rows in the Old Type table. Ideally the rows in the table should be ordered by probable year. We could add a year column if that would help, and I am open to revising or extending the table in any way that makes sense.

Sure thing. I can take a stab at something over the next couple of days. I think we can fairly safely use some of the info we've got from the Pocket Editions, in particular, to help at least put things in relative order. Getting to guesses at particular years will be tougher, but there are some things there, like that bell-bottomed Aristocrat that will help at least pin some "no earlier than" points into the series.

Nice. That looks like a NEW DeLuxe version, so it's more likely a leading zero. In the States only the first couple of years of the NEW DeLuxes were numbered. It's probably a reasonably safe assumption that the Canadian plant stopped around the same time, too. But regardless, your number is so low it would almost have to have been from 1930, maybe a very outside chance at early 1931.

That does, also, seem to definitively answer the question of whether or not Canadian NEW DeLuxes were ever numbered. It'd be great if you could get a better photo of the top of botom of the guard plate to post.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

The handle has a patent date of 1920. Here are the pics of the top and bottom of the plate. It's 15mm between the teeth on the guard plate. Also took a pic of the mother of pearl case it came in with the blade case. Not sure if that helps. Apologies on the quality of the pics

Top Bottom