What's new

Gillette Canada serial numbers

Thanks everyone for the replies! It’s good to at least know a ball park date. Maybe one day some relative from the Montreal plant will unleash the secrets behind dating these Canadians!

I just bought this Razor from an antique shop. It is Gillette diamond, made in Canada, and has absolutely no other information on it! Can anyone help me identify it!?

With the Diamond and “Made In Canada,” but no serial number, you can begin with dating it after 1921. Pictures would be most helpful. Open comb, closed comb?
Until then, look through the images on Mr. Razor’s website.

As I was trying to date this razor I came across this thread. I just recently acquired this set and the serial number on the barrel appears to be 26299. Possibly a late 1907 or more likely a 1908 set??? Can.Pat Mar7 05 on bottom of handle and no markings/ stamping on cap and base. Numbers are difficult to read. You can barely make out the C, just the top part. Regardless of the year it's in great shape with a beautiful patina finish. Thanks for this thread or I wouldn't of known the difficulty of dating Canadian single rings are. Cheers, Mike

IMG_1175.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1169.jpg

Possibly a late 1907 or more likely a 1908 set???

I think you're in the right general time frame there. If the matchstrike blade boxes are original to the set, then it would be no earlier than 1908. But for at least a little while they actually packs of blades in those boxes as well, so someone "upgrading" the cardboard sleeves in their set with newer metal boxes as they bought replacement blades would have been completely normal and logical.

Hello all!

I was recently lucky enough to acquire a Canadian pocket edition (thin handle smooth ball end) old style with S/N# 570995 (No letters in S/N). The set included a razor case, but no blade case.

Not sure how to add it to the growing list of Canadian serial numbered razors on the Wiki:
Gillette Canada Dating Information

Any help on an approximate date would be appreciated!
Please see Pics, Thanks!

View attachment 961652 View attachment 961653 View attachment 961654 View attachment 961655
Very nice set. I have the same razor (no case). There are no markings on mine expect for a serial number on the base plate.

Thx!
:shaving:
It's gotta be after 1910 right? probably not before ?
I'm guessing 1910-1920 from the logo style. Weren't Old types not serial numbered after 1921 (Introduction of New Type) if I understand correctly? althought we are talking about Canada eh?
:dots:
Also, weren't the Canadian smooth (not knurled) ball end handles solid? IE: not made from a tube, and won't crack?
I have a solid knurled handle smooth ball end. I have seen this type on eBay as well. I’d assume the smooth solid handle or more rare than the knurled handle.

Hi wanted to share my smooth ball end with the list. PC 108365 is my best guess for the SN due to poor impression

Attachments

• 1 PC 108365.jpg
    1 PC 108365.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2 PC 108365.jpg
    2 PC 108365.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 3 PC 108365.jpg
    3 PC 108365.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5 PC 108365.jpg
    5 PC 108365.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4 PC 108365.jpg
    4 PC 108365.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 6 PC 108365.jpg
    6 PC 108365.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 11
  • 7 PC 108365.jpg
    7 PC 108365.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 8
Hello!

I have got a Gillette Old Type ball end pocket edition razor, made in Canada text on it.
Date Code / Serial number: 241222

Can help anybodody which year made it?

Thanks a lot: Viktor from Hungary - Europe

Attachments

• old type.jpg
    old type.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi, I have just acquired a Made in Canada Gillette razor. Serial Number is 874833. Pictures attached. Any info on an estimated year would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
874833-made-in-canada-1.jpg

874833-made-in-canada-2.jpg

Hi, I have just acquired a Made in Canada Gillette razor. Serial Number is 874833. Pictures attached. Any info on an estimated year would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
View attachment 1562534
View attachment 1562533

They are difficult to attribute, maybe it will help you ...

Fascinating and crazy serial numbering by the Canadians here.

My Canadian Bulldog SN: 736297 with pat date and Bulldog on handle. It was sold as a 1906 bulldog which I knew was wrong... :lol:

full

full

full

full

Mine is C131123 and it doesn't have the Gillette logo stamp as well as the made in Canada on the back of the base plate, but it has the Bull-Dog as well as March and other markings on the handle. Is yours replated? It looks really nice. I was lucky enough to find mine without any bend teeth of handle cracks.

Mine is C131123 and it doesn't have the Gillette logo stamp as well as the made in Canada on the back of the base plate, but it has the Bull-Dog as well as March and other markings on the handle. Is yours replated? It looks really nice. I was lucky enough to find mine without any bend teeth of handle cracks.
Yep, rhodium revamp from razor emporium. They had it listed for $10 over what the normal revamp service costs and I snagged it. I'm surprised they listed it as a 1906 but they must not have noticed it was from Canada?

It shaves beautifully.

Yep, rhodium revamp from razor emporium. They had it listed for $10 over what the normal revamp service costs and I snagged it. I'm surprised they listed it as a 1906 but they must not have noticed it was from Canada?

It shaves beautifully.

I don't know why, but I really like my Bulldog. I know it's just a Single Ring with a fancy handle, but it feels unique in some way. For whatever reason, I don't like the shaves I get from my ball end Old Type with the thicker top cap and base plate from 1921-1928, but I somehow the thin cap and plate is a bit better. Very underrated razor in my opinion and relatively inexpensive compared to many other razors, which I find very overrated and overpriced.

Top Bottom