What's new

gillette bulldog, do i have the date code right ?

i recently picked up a bulldog among a large lot of razors, and have just now gotten around to checking this beauty out.

the serial is B169324, is it really a 1909, or are the canadian ones dated differently, was the bulldog even made in 1909 ?

the handle has no cracks, and is labelled at the bottom with : BULL-DOG
CAN PAT MAR 7.05

just curious, as if it's true, this one is my oldest razor :)

Attachments

• $P1010261.jpg
    $P1010261.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 182
The wiki does not have production dates for the Bulldog, but 1909 seems too early. http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/Old Type.htm shows 1918 and 1920 examples, and http://mr-razor.com/Werbung/Werbung.htm shows a 1914 advertisement calling the bulldog "a new idea", and ads for England in 1919. I would expect that they piloted the idea in the USA before beginning Canadian manufacturing, too. So my best guess is 1916-1920 - just a guess, though.

Anyway I think Canada did use different serial numbers. I have read that after about 1921 the Canadian serial numbers added a 'Z' at the end. If so yours is earlier than that. Achim's 1910-ish examples from Canada seem to have serial numbers starting with "PC". His 1917+ Canadians seem to have no serial numbers at all. Maybe this was one of those periods when only special models were numbered, and the "B" stands for "Bulldog"?

Its most likely Canadian, The earliest ive heard if is 1913 i could be wrong. I dont think Bulldogs were around when ABC sets were thats just way to early. Also the knurling doesnt look as deep or as thick as the American Bulldog. Here is a link on a Restoration job i did on a 1919 Bulldog complete set in Silver, check it out so you can compare, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Before-and-After-pics-Unbeliveable?highlight= Hope this helps some :eek:)

Last edited:
Its most likely Canadian, The earliest ive heard if is 1913 i could be wrong. I dont think Bulldogs were around when ABC sets were thats just way to early. Also the knurling doesnt look as deep or as thick as the American Bulldog. Here is a link on a Restoration job i did on a 1919 Bulldog complete set in Silver, check it out so you can compare, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Before-and-After-pics-Unbeliveable?highlight= Hope this helps some :eek:)

that set is a real beauty, that thread actually convinced me to try my own hand at cleaning, and i love the results, so a big thanks to you :)

i literally just shaved with it, it worked pretty good, but did create a little irritation on the jawline, but nothing some bay rum couldn't mask.

I also have a Bull Dog I have no idea the age or approximate value, not sure I'll be keeping it, selling it, trading it.

I'm not even sure what the plating is supposed to be...gold, silver etc. It looks gold, but is very worn or maybe it's just tarnish and is supposed to be silver :blink:

no cracks in the handle, and the teeth are generally straight (a few slight, slight off vertical)

here are some pics. the serial number appears to be BD223866

Last edited:
Did I just notice, or do they all have the spiral going in the opposite direction on the knob?

Is my eyes be playing tricks on me?

Those bloody Canadians... This should definitely get into the Gillette Canada serial numbers thread, too. It absolutely does look like "BD223866" to me, too. And it would seem like "BD" would almost have to mean "Bulldog," though why they would have felt the need to stamp that on a handle that couldn't possibly be anything else is a bit beyond me.

Those bloody Canadians... This should definitely get into the Gillette Canada serial numbers thread, too. It absolutely does look like "BD223866" to me, too. And it would seem like "BD" would almost have to mean "Bulldog," though why they would have felt the need to stamp that on a handle that couldn't possibly be anything else is a bit beyond me.

We Canucks are always doing things wonky :crazy:

Top Bottom