What's new

Gillette Brush

My wife found this brush for $2 at a local thrift store. It is Gillette and made in England but someone tell me more? $IMG_1242.jpg
$IMG_1245.jpg

It's a Gillette Standard. It's made in England. It's black and white. The knot has seen better days.
You're welcome!

Last edited:
My dad had one with which I attempted to wetshave a couple of decades ago and then quickly forgot about. About 10 years ago when I bought my first new shave brush, I remembered it and looked for it the next time I visited my folks; I found it in a drawer in terrible shape, broken up and reglued.

So I restored it. By the way, the two halves can be unscrewed apart, but I don't know what for. I have been looking for another one for ages, but I haven't been able to find anything about them.

It's a Gillette Standard. It's made in England. It's black and white. The knot has seen better days.
You're welcome!
Yes the knot is well worn, but still makes a decent lather. I'm entertaining the idea of restoration but if I decide to, it'll be later this winter.

My dad had one with which I attempted to wetshave a couple of decades ago and then quickly forgot about. About 10 years ago when I bought my first new shave brush, I remembered it and looked for it the next time I visited my folks; I found it in a drawer in terrible shape, broken up and reglued.

So I restored it. By the way, the two halves can be unscrewed apart, but I don't know what for. I have been looking for another one for ages, but I haven't been able to find anything about them.

Nice restoration. Where did you find the new knot?

M
Thanks. I ordered a 20mm in Silvertip. They say the knot is between 18-20mm so I'm hoping it fits well. Any advice on replacing the existing knot?

I used a sacrificial SE blade to cut all the bristle as close to the base as possible. Then used a drill bit on a dremel to dig the rest of the knot out. Make sure you cover the edge of the handle with masking tape as best you can. The bonding that holds the hair together is some sort of rubber, so keep the speed slow and pluck the hair in small clumps

There is a lot of useful info in this whole thread

Happy restoring!

M

I used a sacrificial SE blade to cut all the bristle as close to the base as possible. Then used a drill bit on a dremel to dig the rest of the knot out. Make sure you cover the edge of the handle with masking tape as best you can. The bonding that holds the hair together is some sort of rubber, so keep the speed slow and pluck the hair in small clumps

There is a lot of useful info in this whole thread

Happy restoring!

I knew I'd get a good answer. Thanks.

Got the TGN order yesterday. This morning I drilled out the the old brush and epoxied the new knot in place. Should be ready to try in the morning. I did lose a small chip in the plastic at the rim of the hole, but I can rebuild that with a careful application of epoxy. I'll decide later if I want to do that.$IMG_1250.jpg

Nice restore! Is that a TGN Silvertip Grade A knot? I'd be interested in your thoughts about the knot and a post bloom pic.

I'll get to a post bloom in a few days after giving the knot a chance to break in. The last picture just showed the freshly mounted but unused knot.

The knot is a TGN Silver-tip Badger ( I believe that makes it a grade A). The shave this morning went well. As the knot came sanitized, I did a little break in routine, washing the brush first with shampoo, and then building a lather with Al's Calypso cream. This morning I again made a lather with Al's Saigon but this on I shaved with. Right now I'd rate the knot as equivalent to an EJ brush perhaps a little better.

Top Bottom