What's new

Gillette British Hybrid Tech

I read a few threads where this razor is mentioned as something of a rarity, but I can't find an specific details on it, so any info would be much appreciated.

What makes the British Hybrid Tech so unique? Is it just an ordinary flat plate Tech with Rhodium plate?

I read a few threads where this razor is mentioned as something of a rarity, but I can't find an specific details on it, so any info would be much appreciated.

What makes the British Hybrid Tech so unique? Is it just an ordinary flat plate Tech with Rhodium plate?

No, it's not the same as a flat bottom...

Here's a picture showing the hybrid (x2)
20210811_204149.jpg

And here's a hybrid alongside a flat bottom:
20210803_184046.jpg

If you've come across New types much you'll be aware of the difference between the flat bottom and the RFB (raised flat bottom) New's.

This is a similar deal - the Hybrid is an RFB Tech.

The shave is fairly similar - the RFB Hybrid Tech is slightly heavier in the head (so feels slightly different because of the difference in balance) and possibly a touch smoother... The Rhodium tends to mean the caps show less degradation than you'll find on most flat bottoms in the wild, and it stays shinier with ease.

Still, they're both Tech's and both shave great!

I think my Hybrids were well worth what I paid (around £100 each), but if money were the issue I'd be 99.5% as happy with a regular flat bottom.

The Hybrid is mostly just more luxurious to use - it looks more elegant, it feels a touch more substantial... It's the best Tech, but it's still a Tech.

Hope this helps!

Whether it's worth the price asked is a great question

Indeed!

In the shave it's a fairly subtle difference, but a good one.

In terms of whether it's objectively worth the money...
Well it'd last you for life from now as it is, the Rhodium is bombproof - but the for the same money you could pick up several flat bottom Tech's in vvgc or a couple of NOS, which would last you through as well.

To each their own, I guess.

I'm certainly not unhappy with what I paid for mine!

Better make it two eyes!

I have quite a few different Tech and New base plate and top caps .. not knowing exactly what a Hybrid looked like, I wasn't sure if I had one already (I don't).
It's always nice to know there is another variation to add to the collection; suffice to say, if they do demand the £100+ then one eye (squinted) will be ample.

Part of the enjoyment for me is discovering the hidden gem, and getting it for a good price.

Thanks again all - very helpful and informative.

if they do demand the £100+ then one eye (squinted) will be ample.

Honestly, at the very least £100.

Both of mine were eBay finds and didn't have the terms RFB or hybrid anywhere in the listings for a casual search to find them - I found them by trawling through all listings and keeping an eye out for them, they could easily have gone a lot higher if they'd been listed in a way that someone searching for it could find it.

There was one recently with plating partially worn away on the cap that went for £80+ too, IIRC!

They are certainly beautiful razors! Goes well with the tech handle too.

Do they shave similarly to the RFBs?

Andy, I find that the HT shaves like a 4th generation Aristocrat, just as perfect and smooth (or more), smoothest razor I ever tried. Less blade feel and glide compared to other Techs, and the balance and weight is much better. It really feels special in hand :001_wub:

G

Guest2023

Andy, I find that the HT shaves like a 4th generation Aristocrat, just as perfect and smooth (or more), smoothest razor I ever tried. Less blade feel and glide compared to other Techs, and the balance and weight is much better. It really feels special in hand :001_wub:

+1. Though quite similar, there was noticeable difference between HT and other Techs including FB. HT has less blade feel and comparable efficiency.

Thanks Peter, these sounds like quite the pieces!

Top Bottom