What's new

Gillette blue, red and black tip razors

Can someone just confirm that I have these shave types in the correct order?

Blue = mild

Red = more aggressive

Black = most aggressive

There was a thread somewhere which I can't find at the moment and not sure if red and blue are transposed. Thanks

You are correct with blue. Red is the most aggressive. The black that you list is a late 40s type SS and not in this group (actually about a '51). The other FTSS is the tan. that is the "normal". Theree is a debate as to if the tip was painted or not. The original case was tan.

The blue was mild or "light" as Gillette called it. The red was aggressive or "heavy". The black tips were made before the graduated blade exposure series and the black plastic was meant to save money for Gillette in production as far as I have been able to learn.

Thanks lads, got it a bit wrong :eek:

Good job I wasn't wiring a 3 pin plug, or I'd have gone up in a puff of smoke :biggrin:

I thought I'd just add on this that not 20 minutes ago won a red tip 1956 off Ebay, looks in fairly good condition too. Paid $15.50, seems reasonably priced to me, considering some prices on Ebay have just gone silly. Really looking forward to shaving with this now:cool:
I must get a life :biggrin:

Thanks lads, got it a bit wrong :eek:

Good job I wasn't wiring a 3 pin plug, or I'd have gone up in a puff of smoke :biggrin:

White is neutral, green is ground, black is hot, any other color is usually a switched hot. The brass colored side of the plug is hot.:lol:

since it's an AC plug, aren't black and white interchangeable? :confused:

No. The plugs are polarized. Back in the days of non grounded plugs, you could get a shock off of the case of some appliances. To eliminate this, you would turn the plug over. Then came the polarized - grounded plugs.

Top Bottom