What's new

Gillette Bleue blades

I received these blades with a Gillette slim adjustable I bought from a well known auction site. I don’t know anything about them. Are they good blades. Are they collectible? Or should I use them and enjoy them? Thanks for the info. 559ACA84-D58F-4104-BD72-F5C37B6182CE.jpeg

I received these blades with a Gillette slim adjustable I bought from a well known auction site. I don’t know anything about them. Are they good blades. Are they collectible? Or should I use them and enjoy them? Thanks for the info. View attachment 1247059

congrats on your new Slim! Great classic Gillette!

The vintage carbon steel blades are mostly for display!
Each one I've ever tried is brutally rough.
Comes from years of oxidation.
If you're up to it, give one a try, just for old times sake!

gillette blue blade-MD4_4926s.jpg

This blade looks like it could be as late as the mid-1970´s. It has the pre-1976/7 logo, but is the same dark blue package color as the mid-70´s blue blade in the US. Note that in the US, at the time, these blades had PTFE coatings (as evidenced by the patent on this blade with same packaging color https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/1974 (U1) Blue Blade.jpg ). If these blades have the coating, they are incredibly good, and have decent longevity (5-7 shaves for me). I would try one.

Gillette France did a lot with carbon steel blades with PTFE coatings. Gillette had patents to better adhere the PTFE to non-stainless blades, and they can be wonderful shavers.

Also, If you could take pictures of the blade when you try it and put on this thread, it would add to the knowledge base here, and I would appreciate it.

This blade looks like it could be as late as the mid-1970´s. It has the pre-1976/7 logo, but is the same dark blue package color as the mid-70´s blue blade in the US. Note that in the US, at the time, these blades had PTFE coatings (as evidenced by the patent on this blade with same packaging color https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/1974 (U1) Blue Blade.jpg ). If these blades have the coating, they are incredibly good, and have decent longevity (5-7 shaves for me). I would try one.

Gillette France did a lot with carbon steel blades with PTFE coatings. Gillette had patents to better adhere the PTFE to non-stainless blades, and they can be wonderful shavers.

Also, If you could take pictures of the blade when you try it and put on this thread, it would add to the knowledge base here, and I would appreciate it.
That logo was started around 1965, and they changed to the sans serif logo (look at my avatar) in 1974. I have seen magazine ads from late 1974 with the sans serif.
The OP could open one of the blades and tell us the letter code, so we could know the year. Still, I don't think he will get a good shave with them.

I feel like I should grab some popcorn and watch this thread with anticipation. So many people saying don't do it. But the temptation surely is to do it. The suspense is killing me.

don't shave with those blades
While I was out doing other things I didn't notice all the reply's this thread got. I think I will go with Tordu's advice since these blades are French and so is he.. I believe he knows what he is talking about.

Top Bottom