What's new

Gillette blades

Hello Gentlemen,

Since i started wetshaving about 2 years ago, i have been using the king c gillette blades which i can buy locally. I have also used Gillette platinum (darkblue) which were nice, but not as sharp es the king c. Then i tried the infamous feathers, which were amazing, but in the end lacking smoothness due to the extreme level of sharpness. So i searched in the forum to find a blade that performs like the king c gillette and been reading that some guys say that the gillette platinum in the light blue package is the very same blade as the king c gillette! Now if that is true, i can buy 50 blades for 9€ on Amazon, whereas the kings go for 4,90€ for 10 blades. Let me know if you guys tried the light blue ones and if someone found them to be the same as the king c gillette ones! And if someone knows of other blades that perform similar to the king c gillette please let me know !

Cheers

Last edited:
I love the King C Gillette blades but have never tried any of the platinums. Also love the fact I can buy the KCG blades locally. They're expensive but they are sharp, smooth and they last me a long time.

Rumors about some blades models from the same brand (like some of the Lord blades) being the absolute identical and just in a different package is something that people share from time to time, but not everyone agrees and the same goes for those two blades as well. The only way to know for sure is to buy a pack of blades and give them a try. I haven't tried the King C. Gillette blades myself, but i've used quite a few dark blue Gillette Platinum blades and a couple of light blue Gillette Platinum as well and I find the dark blue to be sharper and overall better. Are the light blues same as the King C. Gillette? Maybe, maybe not, but the only way for you to find out for sure is to try them out yourself.

You should also try Nacet Stainless, which is also made by Gillette and for me it's the overall best blade that i've ever used in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

Rumors about some blades models from the same brand (like some of the Lord blades) being the absolute identical and just in a different package is something that people share from time to time, but not everyone agrees and the same goes for those two blades as well. The only way to know for sure is to buy a pack of blades and give them a try. I haven't tried the King C. Gillette blades myself, but i've used quite a few dark blue Gillette Platinum blades and a couple of light blue Gillette Platinum as well and I find the dark blue to be sharper and overall better. Are the light blues same as the King C. Gillette? Maybe, maybe not, but the only way for you to find out for sure is to try them out yourself.

You should also try Nacet Stainless, which is also made by Gillette and for me it's the overall best blade that i've ever used in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

I tried the dark blue platinum and the kings were way way sharper in comparison, so if the light blues are less sharp then the dark blues, i wont be happy with them! But i guess you’re right, i have to try and see for myself, because sometimes everyone seems to have a different experience with certain blades.

I love the King C Gillette blades but have never tried any of the platinums. Also love the fact I can buy the KCG blades locally. They're expensive but they are sharp, smooth and they last me a long time.
I hear you man. Its really nice to be able to pick them up locally. I can use one blade three times before they go dull on me, so the 10 blades in the pack make for 30 shaves. But, i still find them extremely expensive compared to the 50 or 100 packs that one can get on the internet.

I can easily get 7 + shaves out of KCG blades before I need to replace them. But I never go past 7 days. I've been meaning to try some Platinum's to compare. Although I'm pretty sure I read on this site the dark blue ones are about the same. But you didn't find them as sharp.

There are a lot of excellent blades from PPI, I like Nacet, Astra SP, Sharpedge (Yellows) to name a few.
Love Nacet & Sharpedge Yellows but prefer the Astra SS to the SP's. But also love the KCG blades but not their price. But since I can buy them locally I don't have to explain to the wife why I need more blades. 🤣

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A few nice Gillette blades are the Gillette silver blue Sharp & smoooth with good longevity and Gillette 7oClock SP(black) are sharp & Smoooth with some longevity, if you want a Sharper & somewhat smooth with great longevity folks like the Gillette Nacet, I bought 100pcs of the above blades years ago. It is hard to beat a GSB IMO.

A few nice Gillette blades are the Gillette silver blue Sharp & smoooth with good longevity and Gillette 7oClock SP(black) are sharp & Smoooth with some longevity, if you want a Sharper & somewhat smooth with great longevity folks like the Gillette Nacet, I bought 100pcs of the above blades years ago. It is hard to beat a GSB IMO.
I am thinking about trying the GSB and Nacet. How would you compare these two against each other?

I am thinking about trying the GSB and Nacet. How would you compare these two against each other?
I can also help you with this answer. I like the GSB blades. They are sharp & smooth. But I don't find them as sharp as the Nacet or the Sharp Edge Yellow. Since I mainly use mild razors I prefer sharper blades. But to be honest the GSB have also worked well on those razors. GSB are also great Gillette blades. Also for the record I'm no fan of P&G or Gillette & don't buy any of their other products. But I love their blades.

If you Google Refine Shave you find their test of DE blade for sharpness. They have compared most of the blades above but not the KCG. I would post a link but Refine Shave links are a NO NO on this site since they don't grease the wheels.

If you Google Refine Shave you find their test of DE blade for sharpness. They have compared most of the blades above but not the KCG. I would post a link but Refine Shave links are a NO NO on this site since they don't grease the wheels.
It is against the rules to post links to other shaving websites. Most likely it is because they are competitors of this site for advertising. I also happen to feel that this is the number one shaving website. That said I have spent much time in the past looking at that site and comparing blade sharpness. I don't really know how relevant those numbers are to our shaving experience but I think generally they indicate which are the sharper blades. I find blades that are a tad below the very sharpest blades tend to give me my best shaves.

I can also help you with this answer. I like the GSB blades. They are sharp & smooth. But I don't find them as sharp as the Nacet or the Sharp Edge Yellow. Since I mainly use mild razors I prefer sharper blades. But to be honest the GSB have also worked well on those razors. GSB are also great Gillette blades. Also for the record I'm no fan of P&G or Gillette & don't buy any of their other products. But I love their blades.

Thank you very much! So i will try the Gillette Nacet next, because the sharper the better for me. But everything has its limits of course because the feather was beyond sharp.

I feel like a broken record mentioning KCG blades but they are the best blade I’ve used thus far. I’m still pretty new and have only tried about 20 types of blades but many of those are the ones most often mentioned. My most recent purchase of them was from eBay where I found 20 blades for basically the price of 5. I figure if I keep buying them cheap as I see them I’ll hopefully build up a decent supply. I also just put in a big order from TryABlade today as well to try many more.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have both blades and if your not sure go with the Gillette silver blue if you want a sharp & smoooth blade. The Nacets are cheaper and have no coatings but perform very well and have great longevity with good sharpness. Buy a tuck of both and test them yourself and that way you will enjoy the benefits and hardly cost you anything, then buy 100pcs to keep your cost down.
The chart below is just a ball park estimation on the blades I have used. I use the Gillette Astra SP as my standard to gauge to compare the other blades.
The blades I enjoy are the ones that cross the line from Sharp & smooth to Sharpest columns the most.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thanks to everyone , your input really helped me out! So as some of you have said above and many others here on the forum, the gillette naced is said to be a terrific blade. I really want to try them, but the problem is that no one sells them in germany. I can only buy them in 100 packs from ebay were they are being sold from two different guys in Jordan, one is a little cheaper then the other but only a few euros. So what do you think, should i order 100 blades that i never tried before? :) Did someone from you have experiences with these Jordan guys? And if yes, which one of them? You can pm me about it if you wish.

Top Bottom