What's new

Gillette Atra and Sensor

I think I'm too young too have seen Atra on the shelves and known what it was.

What is it? From the few low res pics I've seen, it looks like a Sensor type thing. Is it? Does the Sensor blades and Atra handles mix and match?

Hello, The ATRA is, IMHO the best multi-blade cartridge razor Gillette made. Schick made an equally if not slightly better version called the Ultrex. The ATRA came in several versions but the metal body style is the best. It is known in Europe as the Contour. It does not support Sensor blades but the ATRA blade is available still. The Schick version is a bit heavier and operates on the same principle. If you have to use a cartridge type razor I think you will be pleased with either. The ATRA fetches some pretty ridiculous prices but the Ultrex is lesser known and still reasonable. Try ebay and good luck!!

I was in a large drug store in a northern suburb of Cincinnati last night, you could buy a New Atra (Atra Plus, I believe) razor with 2 blades for something like $6.79. (I didn't look for copyrights or anything, seemed pretty new). The store brand generic replacement blades were 10 for $3.99.

I was given a free Atra Razor in college courtesy of Gillette trying to hook college students onto their products. This was 1990, so either the Sensor just came out or was on its way. I used it for a while but I lent it to my sister at some point, she used it for a while, but then threw it out :frown:

I think I'm too young too have seen Atra on the shelves and known what it was.

What is it? From the few low res pics I've seen, it looks like a Sensor type thing. Is it? Does the Sensor blades and Atra handles mix and match?

The Atra was the first of the pivoting head razors made by Gillette. The Sensor was the the first to feature spring loaded blades. The cartridges are NOT interchangeable between handles. I saw original Sensor handles at Big Lots recently, if you're interested.

the original atra twin blades and still some cheap store brands don't have the lubricating strip which is totally worthless anyhow, later they came out with the atra plus cartridges with the lubricating strip for a few extra dollars it was then that gillette turned me against paying money for there cartridges,

I am tempted to buy the Atra, since I found the handles still available locally. This would be at most a backup for when I am in a hurry and don't want to mess with the DE. It somehow is hard for me to pass up @ $6.79, especially since Gillette apparently no longer makes handles. (Still available on EBay, but for about $10-12.) I have used the Atra in the past, but its been a few years. I would try to get by with the store-brand cartridges. Yes, I am cheap.

Currently, my "in a hurry" razor is a Slim Twin. I have 100+ NOS blades from the early 1990s. I do think that when shaving non-DE, simplicity seems to work best.

Any thoughts?

I've used the Atra for over 15 years. I haven't ever felt the reason to switch, though I was sent a Mach 3 razor for free several years ago and I use it on occasion, but the cost prohibits regular use, and I've found that it's harsher on my face than the 2-bladed Atra.

I've seen new Atras in the stores in my area, but I *think* the handles are now plastic as opposed to the metal handle that I have.

I buy my the Personna Atra cartriges at Wal-mart, they are $3.50 for 10. I get a week or so out of each cartridge. That works out to just over $30 a year for cartriges, not that bad really.

I've gotten better shaves recently because I've applied a lot of the "DE" shaving techniques to my Atra shaving (using a light tough and using the weight of the razor). I've found that the Mach 3 "pulls" much harder than the Atra, gives a nice shave, but I get irritation on my neck, even if I shave across the grain. I don't get that with the Atra.

Plus, I read somewhere that dermatologists don't recommend shaving with anything more than 2 blades.

Good thread.

-Mason

Here's a picture of my Atra.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=480494&postcount=86

I have both the Sensor & Atra. I think I like the Sensor better but I just bought the Atra off of Ebay the other day so I don't have much experience with it yet. It seems I get more nicks with the Atra than the Sensor or DE.

The Atra was the first of the pivoting head razors made by Gillette. The Sensor was the the first to feature spring loaded blades. The cartridges are NOT interchangeable between handles. I saw original Sensor handles at Big Lots recently, if you're interested.

Now I know the differences and that I shouldn't buy a nice Atra handle to replace my stock Sensor handle.

(Yes, I like the Sensor, I think it's the best cartridge system Gillette ever made, and I use it when I don't have time for my usual ritual.)

Thanks for mentioning Big Lots, but I'm all set for the moment. And I'm not from "around" anyway.

Top Bottom