What's new

Gillette Aristocrat Primer

20190415_065318.jpg
Ah, so that makes it a 48-50 with a 51 W3 gold blade
20190415_070030.jpg
Thank you sir!

Yesterday I picked up an American made 1948-1951 Aristocrat at an estate sale for $20 (no misprint) and they threw in a beater 1930s New for free. Here is my question. The Aristocrat came with a small brown case with dark red interior if that helps with the model (see Schwim's photo on page 1). My question is the plating. Some forums say its 24C gold others say its gold tone. The plating is worn off the comb bars and the doors. If its gold I'll keep it that way, but if gold tone I'll go rhodium. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, any recommendations for platers you have had personal experience with.

Thanks for any information

R

romsitsa

Yesterday I picked up an American made 1948-1951 Aristocrat at an estate sale for $20 (no misprint) and they threw in a beater 1930s New for free. Here is my question. The Aristocrat came with a small brown case with dark red interior if that helps with the model (see Schwim's photo on page 1). My question is the plating. Some forums say its 24C gold others say its gold tone. The plating is worn off the comb bars and the doors. If its gold I'll keep it that way, but if gold tone I'll go rhodium. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, any recommendations for platers you have had personal experience with.

Thanks for any information

It’s 14k, 24k gold is pure, not really used for anything, as it’s too soft. The factory gold layer alone is not worth much, it’s extremely thin even for a plating.

Thanks romsitsa,

As you can see by 14k vs 24k metals are not my area of expertise. I appreciate the input. Think I'll send it to razor emporium they seem to get some decent reviews here.

Thanks again

The plating on those Aristocrats is very thin, I have a '41 (no end caps) and most of it is gone, looks like nickel plating on the handle. Rhodium will last a lot longer, but if you do want gold, it should have a thicker plate from a re-finisher than from the factory.

Got a lead on an aristocrat ~50's and a shulton old spice mug. Just gotta set up a pick up time with the seller. Not a huge fan of gold razors so it may be up for sale soon.

Top Bottom