What's new

Gillette Aristocrat Primer

Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase my first Gillette Aristocrat. I would like to educate myself on the Aristocrat first before deciding on a model. Is there a good primer on this site or somewhere else that would be a good place for me to start?

Thanks Much

Start by googling gillette aristocrat and go from there.

First thing to figure out is whether you're a USA or UK Aristocrat fan....I am the latter
but there is no hard and fast rule.

I've had a number of UK and US Aristocrats and I'd say that in general the quality and finish of the UK ones is a bit better. The rhodium plated UK Aristocrats are particularly good to look at. However, the 1934 US Aristocrats were also of fantastic quality, and I like the way they shave, so that's the one I've kept.

Thanks for the info. I collect English Super Speeds and Rockets and concur- the build seems to be a bit better. Having said that, the US counterparts are excellent razors as well.

Just get a ‘34 and be done with it.

I'll have to take a look at them. Also, what years were the Aristocrat open combs?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I collect English Super Speeds and Rockets and concur- the build seems to be a bit better. Having said that, the US counterparts are excellent razors as well.

I'll have to take a look at them. Also, what years were the Aristocrat open combs?

Thanks

No expert here. I appeal to @Hannah's Dad as the resident expert, but I think there was a 1934 and a 1936 model. There were other open comb TTO types like the Sheraton (gold) and the Ranger (silver/nickel?) during the 1930's.

I've just always considered the '34 as Gillettes finest creation and the 1930's as my favorite Gillette decade exception noted for the Single Ring era.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
There are some members with vastly more knowledge than me; but I agree with Charles (@Twelvefret ) that the ‘34 is special. It was Gillette’s first twist-to-open razor, though certainly not the first open comb. It was, according to ads at the time, made to watchmakers’ standards and was built to last ‘forever.’
image.jpg

There was a 1936 iteration as well, known as the ‘Deluxe’, which has a higher profile head. I prefer the slimmer ‘34 profile personally.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Then there are the First Generation British Aristocrats — on the left is a silver-plated ‘One Piece Aristocrat’ and on the right a rhodium-plated #15 set. Both are incredible shavers and really cool to use. I suggest you find one of these!
image.jpg

There are some members with vastly more knowledge than me; but I agree with Charles (@Twelvefret ) that the ‘34 is special. It was Gillette’s first twist-to-open razor, though certainly not the first open comb. It was, according to ads at the time, made to watchmakers’ standards and was built to last ‘forever.’
View attachment 972155

There was a 1936 iteration as well, known as the ‘Deluxe’, which has a higher profile head. I prefer the slimmer ‘34 profile personally.

Remind me again, is my Sheraton more similar to the '36 or '34? I used it last week and loved the shave it provided.

20190413_183919.jpg

Hey guys, since we're on the subject, here's an aristocrat that i just found on the bay. There's no date code on the razor, but it came with a blade inside. Can you provide any info? Thanks.

Im assuming the W3 on the blade will be the appropriate date, but haven't gotten around to researching it properly.

Looks like a '48-51. Hard to be more specific since they didn't have date codes.

I have one that is in rotation this week. I put it as slightly milder than a Red Tip...very similar feel.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Im assuming the W3 on the blade will be the appropriate date, but haven't gotten around to researching it properly.

W-3 would make it a '51 which would have a date code like this one of mine ... it's a little earlier. Nice case!
full

I have them all, find the British to be of better quality/build. They are all decent shavers, my favourite to shave with is the #21.

In a typical B&B fashion I'd say you should buy them all and then decide which one you like the most. :001_302:
This. If you are truly bold and awash with extra coin seek both, UK & US makes, otherwise pick one or the other. As a Left Coaster, you might find the least resistance with the US Aristocrats.

Top Bottom